DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 pm 
Special Edition

You think that's just a headdress she has on, or are those horns just a part of her anatomy?

What do you suppose her hair looks like, if she has any?

:P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 pm 
Limited Edition

In the animated film, she has no hair. In the upcoming Maleficent movie with Angelina Jolie, she does.

As for the horns as part of her anatomy, in the 2014 movie it's clear that it's a part of her head and if you look at the recent trailers it seems like the hair surrounds the horns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Musical Master wrote:
In the animated film, she has no hair. In the upcoming Maleficent movie with Angelina Jolie, she does.

There is no evidence to say she does or does not have hair in the animated version, as she is never without her cowl on (unless you are privy to some art by Marc Davis showing her as being bald, that I'm not aware of). The same thing goes for whether or not she has real horns, I never thought she did, but if someone wants to believe she has horns, again she never takes off her cowl off so there is no evidence either way.

The reason I never assumed she had real horns in the animated movie, was because I thought her headpiece was obviously inspired by the medieval ones worn by women that were horn like in appearance, which inspired Davis to take it a step further so she could look more demonic without necessarily breaking the fashion trends of the time.

Also, as evidenced with Jolie in the upcoming movie and costumes like the one Michelle Pfeiffer wore as Catwoman show, you can most certainly have hair and fit it into a form fitting cowl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Good point DancingCrab.

Last edited by Musical Master on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:13 pm 
Platinum Edition

I honestly never thought she had hair. Thought those were horns since she comes across similar to a demon.

To me, I was very confused when people started talking about them as just a headdress. I can see how some might see them that way, but I don't at all.

David Archuleta ~ "OK, All Right"
Troye Sivan ~ "Take Yourself Home"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I always assumed Maleficent had hair just as the Evil Queen does. It's all under her headdress, I never thought the horns were part of her anatomy, either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:14 pm 
Collector's Edition

God, I love Batman Returns...

Anyway, no, I never thought she had hair because, frankly, I never though of her as a mammal considering she, you know, turns into a freakin' dragon at the end of the film. And there are numerous instances of 'foreshadowing' that transformation in her animation. Her cloak trails behind her in a train that resembles coiled dragon tails SEVERAL times in the film. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wMOs_zg-Q0Q/UA9f_m5qRAI/AAAAAAAAC8c/jDUYIZ7bnR8/s1600/NBB-8.jpg I always thought of her dragon form as her 'true' form, so to speak.

Plus, she has BAT-WINGS on her neck, people! That isn't a headdress. That's her HEAD. Period. The end. Question mark? No. No question mark.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
Collector's Edition

I like to believe she did.

And yes, it was way before the new movie...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

I think the true answer is it's a headdress. Why? Because you can clearly see her real face is a pale, pale color while her headress is a black cowl masking around her face and covering her head. The headress has horns and batwings. You can also just look the the Evil Queen Grimhilde to see that she has a headdress just like her. If Maleficent really had horns and batwings on her head...they would be on her pale, bear head, not on the black thing covering her head.

It is possible she has horns underneath the headdress though. But it's really unlikely because she's wearing a headdress in the first place.

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm 
Special Edition

ProfessorRatigan wrote:
God, I love Batman Returns...

Anyway, no, I never thought she had hair because, frankly, I never though of her as a mammal considering she, you know, turns into a freakin' dragon at the end of the film. And there are numerous instances of 'foreshadowing' that transformation in her animation. Her cloak trails behind her in a train that resembles coiled dragon tails SEVERAL times in the film. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wMOs_zg-Q0Q/UA9f_m5qRAI/AAAAAAAAC8c/jDUYIZ7bnR8/s1600/NBB-8.jpg I always thought of her dragon form as her 'true' form, so to speak.

Plus, she has BAT-WINGS on her neck, people! That isn't a headdress. That's her HEAD. Period. The end. Question mark? No. No question mark.

That's an interesting perspective. I don't think I ever noticed her gown that way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:42 am 
Platinum Edition

I've always thought she had hair, just as the other fairies did. Just as she's bad, doesn't mean she's bald :wink:

Just presumed, as others have said, it was under her headdress a la The Wicked Queen.

Also, Queen Clarissa, who also turns into a dragon, has hair too. And her final dragon morph is echoed in her costume too. (I know it's a throwback to Maleficent, but her designer gave her hair is all I'm saying).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 am 
Limited Edition

Do you mean "Narissa"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am 
Limited Edition

They seem natural to me. Maybe she was born horned.

Otoh, I don't understand why the horns are wrapped in leather in the new movie... :?

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:22 am 
Platinum Edition

I never thought she didn't have hair. The horns were debatable. When I was younger I would've believed she had them and still like to, but as an adult, I can believe they were just part of the headdress too.

thedisneyspirit wrote:
They seem natural to me. Maybe she was born horned.

Otoh, I don't understand why the horns are wrapped in leather in the new movie... :?

To make them look black, like her old iconic design.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 am 
Platinum Edition

Old Fish Tale wrote:
Do you mean "Narissa"?

Haha, why yes I do! Just invented a whole new character there! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Maybe she was born horned.

:o Wow! That would've hurt her mother... Unless she hatched out of an egg :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

Somehow I doubt fairies are born the way humans are. Something fantastical like being hatched from eggs or coming from flowers, etc. would make more sense.

I don't consider Maleficent like the three good fairies. She's already green, and they're not. She's more powerful than they are, too.

Tbh, if I see it as a headdress, I see Maleficent as less serious. Something about her being ethereal and demonic made her kind of awesome, but if she were just a normal woman saying "a disgrace to the forces of evil!" how...lame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Maybe she is otherworldy, maybe she did come from an egg. Maybe she represents a character from Mythology, a demon or Satan himself...Explains so much about her, to be honest, if she was an original creature after all. She didn't "turn" bad, she was born rotten from the start.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Somehow I doubt fairies are born the way humans are. Something fantastical like being hatched from eggs or coming from flowers, etc. would make more sense.

I don't consider Maleficent like the three good fairies. She's already green, and they're not. She's more powerful than they are, too.

Tbh, if I see it as a headdress, I see Maleficent as less serious. Something about her being ethereal and demonic made her kind of awesome, but if she were just a normal woman saying "a disgrace to the forces of evil!" how...lame.

I thought maybe was born an evil demonic fairy, but these days I feel like she was a fairy who chose the dark side (perhaps even making a deal with the devil himself) which made her green/white, wingless, and more powerful.

Actually sometimes in the movie her skin looks kind of blue/purple, like Ursula. And is Ursula a merperson or an entirely different creature? She was going to be Triton's sister, and she was his sister in the musical. So, that may be like how Maleficent is a fairy but still looks different from the other fairies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 am 
Platinum Edition

I don't think Ursula was made by the same people who created Maleficent. Moreover, Ursula actually is a different species than all the other merfolk we see in the film, so there's no knowing if she was born that color or if she enchanted herself to be that color (or if she was cursed that color, etc. etc.).

Ursula also doesn't set herself up as in league with the devil. She's a normal person who happens to practice witchcraft. She also doesn't say things like "She is the mistress of all evil" or turn into a supernatural creature at the end of TLM.