Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by Farerb »

The more I read about this film, the more I am convinced that the people who made it (writers, director, etc..) are not fans of Disney and not fans of animation in general. Everything just feels like a big joke to them.

I'm not impressed with what the critics say about the film, and it has been for a while now when I realized that a lot of them are not actual critics, but rather YouTubers or influencers (or Doug Walker/Lindsay Ellis wannabes) that just manage to garner a following and now they say whatever their audience wants to hear in order to not lose them.
Yes you can check them on RT and you will see people like Grace Randolph or that Australian guy :roll: this is why the scores on RT have been inflated so much in the last 5 years.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

D82 wrote:There are many things we don't know if Walt Disney himself would have approved or not, but I think it's safe to say Peter's portrayal in this film is not something he would have been OK with.
Although Walt was said to have disliked Peter's depiction in the movie, finding him kind of an unlikeable brat.

I felt the filmmakers used Bobby Driscoll's story to call out what Disney did to him and Hollywood's treatment of child actors in general. It's why when Peter is telling his back story, he's not making jokes and Chip shows genuine sympathy towards him and what happened to him. A running theme throughout the movie is the commentary on how actors are cast aside by Hollywood when they feel they're of no use to them anymore. Either they wind up taking a different profession, like Chip, or they go to the convention circuit like Dale. Or what happens to them is more tragic like Peter.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:The more I read about this film, the more I am convinced that the people who made it (writers, director, etc..) are not fans of Disney and not fans of animation in general. Everything just feels like a big joke to them.
That goes without saying. No one who loves animation, the Rescue Rangers show or respects Disney's legacy would have created such a monstrosity. This movie is the most offensive, disrespectful thing Disney has ever done to their characters.
Farerb wrote:I'm not impressed with what the critics say about the film, and it has been for a while now when I realized that a lot of them are not actual critics, but rather YouTubers or influencers (or Doug Walker/Lindsay Ellis wannabes) that just manage to garner a following and now they say whatever their audience wants to hear in order to not lose them. Yes you can check them on RT and you will see people like Grace Randolph or that Australian guy :roll: this is why the scores on RT have been inflated so much in the last 5 years.
That's true. Rotten Tomatoes has approved critics who have no formal education in a relevant field or experience writing for mainstream publications. Anyone with a blog, YouTube channel or podcast calls themselves a film critic nowadays. The influx of new Rotten Tomatoes-appoved critics though also has to do with the platform getting criticized for not having enough critics from minority backgrounds, so they rushed to approve a bunch of them regardless of skills or qualifications. The same thing happened with the Oscars when the #OscarsSoWhite controversy broke out. They invited people to join the Academy who wouldn't have been invited otherwise due to their lack of credentials and experience.
estefan wrote:Although Walt was said to have disliked Peter's depiction in the movie, finding him kind of an unlikeable brat.
Do you have a source for that? I tried looking it up myself, but couldn't find anything. I know Walt thought Alice in Wonderland lacked heart, but I never heard he harbored negative feelings towards Peter Pan, the movie or the character.
estefan wrote:I felt the filmmakers used Bobby Driscoll's story to call out what Disney did to him and Hollywood's treatment of child actors in general.
The filmmakers have yet to reveal if they were aware of Bobby Driscoll's story and whether the connection to it was intentional. Personally, I believe they had no clue since they don't seem like people who care about Disney's history or legacy. Update: I found an interview where the director said Peter Pan as a villain was a commentary on former child stars who are sometimes unable to continue their acting careers as adults and that he initially wanted an adult Charlie Brown as the villain but couldn't get the rights to, indicating he was indeed unaware of the Bobby Driscoll connection.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Making controversy out of nothing like this is making it an uphill battle for the return of villains in Disney movies, and that's a shame. I was actually thinking about this same thing a few days back when the lost concept art for The Snow Queen was posted, that Bette Midler's Snow Queen would probably have ended up being called "anti-Semitic" just like Mother Gothel for no other reason than Midler is Jewish. The same way Ursula is "racist" because her dress-like lower half is black. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Do you have a source for that? I tried looking it up myself, but couldn't find anything. I know Walt thought Alice in Wonderland lacked heart, but I never heard he harbored negative feelings towards Peter Pan, the movie or the character.
Here`s the source: https://animatedviews.com/2007/peter-pa ... eter%20Pan
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The reviewer in the article you posted doesn't provide a source, but I found a Screenrant article where a book is cited for that claim. Since there's no direct quotation, I'm still skeptical if the book in question does in fact mention that; misinformation spreads easily in the Disney fandom. Maybe someone who owns the book can verify it for us.
Author Bob Thomas writes in his biography Walt Disney: An American Original that Walt thought Peter came across as cold.
Source: https://screenrant.com/things-walt-disn ... wn-movies/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Oh. Sorry.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

This is a really good, researched, insightful article. All the more I think about it, Disney couldn't have been that clueless to inadvertently portray Peter Pan the way he's been portrayed in the movie. It does feel like a deliberate insult to the memory of Bobby Driscoll.

When Peter Pan Grew Up

For the record, I liked the movie, but the whole Peter Pan thing didn't sit right with me at all.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Sotiris wrote:The reviewer in the article you posted doesn't provide a source, but I found a Screenrant article where a book is cited for that claim. Since there's no direct quotation, I'm still skeptical if the book in question does in fact mention that; misinformation spreads easily in the Disney fandom. Maybe someone who owns the book can verify it for us.
So my local library happened to have a digital ebook copy of Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas.

The book was originally copyrighted in 1976; the edition I borrowed has a preface from 1994.

I only saw two references to Walt feeling Peter Pan (and Alice in Wonderland) as too cold:

Chapter 16:
Chapter 16 wrote:Three classics had been in development for several years—Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland and Cinderella. Walt did not feel comfortable with either Peter Pan or Alice, finding the characters too cold. Cinderella, on the other hand, possessed the qualities of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and he chose to go ahead with it.[...]
Chapter 18:
Chapter 18 wrote:[...]Walt abandoned Alice in Wonderland again and again until finally he scheduled it to follow Cinderella. He dropped the idea of a live-action Alice. “Practically everyone who has read and loved the book of necessity sees the Tenniel Alice,” he explained in a letter to a New Jersey fan, “and no matter how closely we approximate her with a living Alice, I feel the result would be a disappointment.” Walt tried to alter the storyline to fit the cartoon needs, at one time expanding the role of the White Knight as hero-rescuer. But he was intimidated by the threats of Lewis Carroll purists, and he returned to the original story. During storyboard sessions, Walt tried to maintain his normal enthusiasm, but it was difficult.

Animation was as tedious as the story development. Walt kept asking his animators why the drawing was taking so much time. The unspoken answer was that the animators weren’t enjoying it. The animators sometimes arrived at brilliant invention, but it was punishing work. Everyone felt relief when Alice in Wonderland was finished. Especially Walt. He vowed never again to undertake a tamperproof classic.

He had hoped to keep faith with the traditionalists while trying to please the millions who expected an entertaining show from Walt Disney. He satisfied neither. Alice in Wonderland had its premiere in Lewis Carroll’s home country, and London critics belabored Disney for the liberties he took. American audiences were also disappointed, and the film lost $1,000,000, erasing the glow of prosperity that Cinderella had brought to Walt Disney Productions. “Some day,” Walt sighed, “I would like to reach the position where this company doesn’t have to live from one picture to the next.”

Peter Pan was the next cartoon. Walt had bought the rights to the James M. Barrie play in 1939 and had spent years trying to fashion a cartoon story. As with Alice in Wonderland, he found it difficult to bring warmth to the characters, and Peter Pan was set aside from time to time. Then in 1951 Walt put it into production. With the studio expanding into new fields, he could no longer lavish time on all aspects of the film. His comments in storyboard sessions seem more succinct, though no less incisive:

>> We don’t have the right crocodile yet….It’s out of character….Watch so as not to get Hook’s teeth too big….[...]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's all very interesting! Thank you, Warm Regards!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I can't believe this abomination is doing well. :facepalm: Does this mean there will be a sequel? :huh:

Nielsen Streaming Top 10: ‘Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers’ Debuts as No. 2 Movie
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nielse ... 235296706/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Although “Chip ‘n Dale” is family-friendly, that didn’t stop Schaffer from creating some R-rated scenes just for fun. “There are definitely scenes where they’ll say ‘fuck’ out of nowhere,” he says. “I couldn’t resist cutting that in once, just knowing that it’s so shocking, and just for fun. I showed my executive at the studio or producers, even knowing it would never get past that first animation stage — but I have a few of those.”
Source: https://variety.com/2022/awards/news/ak ... 235299244/
But he’d love to add some bonus features to the presentation. Before the movie finished, Schaffer cobbled together supplemental material, including animatics of scenes that were deleted or reworked and the original proof-of-concept video from 2019 that got the movie into production, and sent the material to Disney. “None of the Disney+ originals have anything besides a trailer,” he said. “But I think that they should, because why not? It can sit there forever for the legacy and for people like me who like that stuff.”
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/chip-n-dale-res ... interview/
Sotiris

Re: Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award. Update: It won in the category.
Best Television Movie

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Ray Donovan: The Movie
Reno911!: The Hunt for QAnon
The Survivor
Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas
Source: https://twitter.com/TelevisionAcad/stat ... 5363576838

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers has been nominated for a Hollywood Critics Association Award. Update: It won in the category.
Best Streaming Movie

The Fallout
Fresh
I Want You Back
Kimi
Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas
Source: https://twitter.com/HCAcritics/status/1 ... 0236293121

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers has been nominated for a Hollywood Music in Media Award. Update: It lost in the category.
Outstanding Score (Streamed Animated Film)

Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe
The Boys: Diabolical — Laser Baby's Day Out
The House
Tom and Jerry: Cowboy Up!
Source: https://www.hmmawards.com/2022-HMMA-nominations/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Boy am I happy Chip n Dale won the HCA Award for Best Streaming Movie. Gives me hope it will win the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding TV Movie. I really hope it does win that award so that Chip n Dale's win, combined with maybe a record-breaking Disney+ debut for the live-action Pinocchio, could convince Disney to FINALLY green light the long-gestating, long-in-development-hell, long-shelved Who Framed Roger Rabbit sequel to come out on Disney+ or in theaters in 2028 with Robert Zemeckis back at the helm to celebrate the original film's 40th Anniversary.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Welcome to the forum, D23ExpoVisitor25! :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:Welcome to the forum, D23ExpoVisitor25! :)
Thank you, Disney's Divinity.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The filmmakers talk about their plans for a sequel.
And while Schaffer has only had a few cursory meetings about a sequel, he knows who its star should be: Ugly Sonic (voiced by fellow Emmy nominee Tim Robinson), the once-star of the “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie who in the “Rescue Rangers” world is now working with the FBI. “I love that character,” Schaffer said. “I’m going to put this out there right now: the ‘LEGO Batman’-style spin-off movie for this movie? Give Ugly Sonic a whole movie.”
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/chip-n-dale-res ... interview/
Q: Have you thought about the further adventures of Chip and Dale?

Dan Gregor: Oh, we have some ideas. We are very excited about the larger world. We definitely have one idea that we’re really, really excited about that we will pitch to Disney as soon as they tell us they want it.

Q: Would this idea involve a certain crime-fighting duck that we see at the very end the movie?

Doug Mand: Possibly. There’s a couple ideas that we’re like… So this is not just some cash grab ideas. We think that there’s more to say in this world and stuff that we couldn’t quite get into this movie that is pretty rich, we think.

Dan Gregor: All characters that we went through many iterations where they were more present in this movie but as the story had to find its specificity and speed into a 90-minute movie that some of those storylines of had to go to the wayside. We definitely think there’s a lot more of those characters that we’d love to get to explore and push.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/chip-n-dale-res ... iew-emmys/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Really? :o Sonic as the protagonist? :roll: Wasn`t Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers supposed to be about Chip and Dale? :P And haven`t the director already seen the new Sonic movies or is he trying to ride on those successes? :P
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

https://twitter.com/RescueRangers/statu ... 4035632128

YES!

OH YEAH!

Disney’s #ChipNDaleRescueRangers movie from The Lonely Island on Disney+ is the new Emmy Award winner for Outstanding TV Movie
Let’s see if Walt Disney Studios & Bob Chapek put #WhoFramedRogerRabbit 2 back into development after this for a 2028 release, especially with Robert Zemeckis back to direct if the new live-action #Pinocchio of his is a record-debut hit for #DisneyPlus when it premieres there Thursday for #DisneyPlusDay.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Happy 1-Year Anniversary to the #DisneyPlus Original Film genuinely worth repeat viewings and won an Emmy for Outstanding TV Movie as it deserved to: #ChipNDaleRescueRangers.

You have your haters, but not me. You will always be successful in my heart and I hope Disney is smart enough to not take your movie off #DisneyPlus since we need more movies like you, such as a Steven Spielberg-directed and a sequel with more adventures w/ the RR.

Just make sure you hold off a few years, maybe til 2029 for the sequel to be made, so you can ring in the 40th Anniversary of the OG #RescueRangers series and so you have more time to make Chip, Gadget, Monty, and Zipper all hand-drawn animated instead of cel shaded.