Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

He's a parody of motion capture and particularly of mo-capped characters from Robert Zemeckis' films such as The Polar Express and Beowulf.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I know that, on paper, this movie looks "bad."

I certainly am not expecting a masterwork, but do you guys think it could still turn out to be a decent and well-written film when digested on its own merits?

Personally, I am still bothered by the animation, and I wish they could have done it right.

I haven't yet watched the newer Tom & Jerry live-action movie from last year. From the trailers it really does look like a stinker, but the cel shaded animation looks brilliant. I think Framestore did that one, and even from the trailers you can tell the high level of craft that went into getting the CG models to stretch, squash and distort the way they do. It's a joy to look at, even though it's not strictly cel-shaded. (I don't think it's trying to pass itself off as hand-drawn animation, but to look like a true hybrid of both CG and hand-drawn sensibilities.)

Of course, the "traditionally animated" Chip in this movie is basic, no frills, cel-shaded CG, that is actually meant to look like hand drawn animation. Unfortunately, it fails miserably, which is all the more distressing since the film specifically references the animation process.

What a lost opportunity.

However, as I said earlier, I have faith that even if this movie is a complete trainwreck, it is bound to be a very interesting trainwreck.

On the contrary, the aforementioned Tom & Jerry movie looks like a total bore.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm going into this seeking a few laughs is all--it seems like a lesser Who Framed Roger Rabbit? to me. I was never even a big fan of WFRR? either, so that tells you I'm not expecting anything great here, just a fun one-off experience. The more commercials I see, the more I believe the theory Peter Pan is Fat Cat in disguise--or perhaps Professor Nimnul since he was an inventor and had tufts of red hair the same shade as PP's?.

I should actually get to see this one the day-of! :D Such a different experience seeing this (and Encanto, and Turning Red) so soon, when I'm usually the last one to give my reaction to things here. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This looks worse with every promo. But I’m going to watch it anyway to see how they butchered all these characters. Hate-watching can be fun.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The fact that they're putting the ugly sonic design in the movie because it was a trendy joke on the internet at one point so they think it'll be a funny pop culture reference tells me all I need to know about this film.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Farerb wrote:The fact that they're putting the ugly sonic design in the movie because it was a trendy joke on the internet at one point so they think it'll be a funny pop culture reference tells me all I need to know about this film.
That they have good taste? Whats your problem with it, honestly.

Yall expecting/hoping way too much from this.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Kyle wrote:
Farerb wrote:The fact that they're putting the ugly sonic design in the movie because it was a trendy joke on the internet at one point so they think it'll be a funny pop culture reference tells me all I need to know about this film.
That they have good taste? Whats your problem with it, honestly.

Yall expecting/hoping way too much from this.
That they'd rather put an outdated joke rather than make something genuine and sincere.

My expectations are low, and yet I still expect from Disney to not piss on their legacy and not make Shrek-like films, but I guess that's a way too high expectation from Disney these days.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I can’t believe this is getting good reviews. It’s weirdly high on rotten tomatoes. Maybe it will go down…
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I’m trying to get through this….. movie … and have some thoughts.

The Peter Pan is the villain angle because he got ugly when he grew up and is now essentially a criminal is REALLY distasteful considering what happened to Bobby Driscoll. Did no one stop and think this was in poor taste? I’m cringing so hard right now

The animation is disastrous. My God.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

You make a good point.

What I was thinking is that Walt and his team poured their heart and soul when they made Peter Pan (and any of the other movies), only for these guys to use him as a cheap joke.

The movie didn't turn out as bad as I thought, but I still think it was a new low for Disney and a movie like this is beneath them (I guess not anymore since they pretty much determined to turn themselves into the McDonald's of cinema or rather "content").

The animation was the worst offense. You know that something is wrong when Warner went for real Hand Drawn animation, but Disney didn't.

I'm just baffled by what they were thinking when they approved this movie, I feel like they just don't care about their image, their brand or their identity anymore.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I also thought it would be worse. The tone was more serious than I expected and it had its heart. I even found it a bit slow sometimes, but maybe that's because I imagined it would be crazier and full of jokes and cameos, but that actually took a backseat to the story. However, I agree it was still quite offensive. Especially how they treated Peter Pan as you both said, and some other classic characters. And you're right, PatrickvD, on top of that, it is distasteful considering what happened to Bobby Driscoll. I guess the film creators probably didn't even know about that. I'm surprised Disney approved it too. I thought they would at least redeem the character at the end, but that didn't happen. Couldn't they have created a new character with a similar backstory instead of doing this to one from a beloved Disney classic? It wouldn't have changed the story much and wouldn't be disrespectful. By the way, I've read the leaked ending and it turned out to be false. The real solution to the mystery was better than that one, but still didn't make much sense to me.

Regarding the animation, I guess they put more effort into Chip since he was a main character because he didn't look that bad considering it was cel-shading animation, but Monty, Gadget and Peter Pan looked awful. I think the 2D background characters or cameos were traditionally animated as I suspected from the trailers, and I guess it makes sense because it's probably cheaper than creating a CG model of every one of them when they only have a few seconds of screen time. I wish all had been animated that way. I fear they'll now use this technique in other movies.

All in all, I hated it, but there were things in it I liked, like Chip and Dale themselves and their relationship or the beginning of their investigation, what makes me even sadder they didn't do something more faithful to the series and saved the Roger Rabbit elements for a Roger Rabbit sequel.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This was kind of a letdown for me, I expected to go full out on-fire bad rather than middling / boring bad (sucks that neither the Fat Cat or Pluto theories out there were true). Dale was so hard to look at for me. I didn't mind the "hand-drawn" characters, even if they didn't look nowhere near as good as pure hand-drawn would.

The Disney knockoff film covers gave me a good chuckle, and a few other one-off things (Batman v. E.T., Peter Pan, the snake fan, Cruella's laugh at the end).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I didn't like Dale's design either. Supposedly, he has had a CG "upgrade", but it doesn't look like the exact same design translated to 3D. Why does he have blue eyes now, for example? His cheeks also seem more prominent now and his fur color is lighter, which is evident when he's next to Chip.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I haven't seen it yet, but isn't the whole point of the CG upgrade stuff supposed to be making fun of how most of the time these upgrades are anything but?
Woody woodpecker, yogi, Alvin and the chipmunks, schooby doo, these are all characters that looked better in hand drawn, we all know it, even Disney.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's trying to pretend they didn't just tarnish Peter Pan's image:
https://twitter.com/Disney/status/15280 ... pK9NQ&s=19
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my opinions about the movie, I`m with the majority of you guys here: It could`ve been a lot worse. Sure, there were a lot of cringeworthy moments, as many of the meta-jokes just simply felt out of place. But still, it wasn`t as unwatchable and unbearable as it could`ve been as other Disney projects at their very worst (*cough, Chicken Little, cough*). Sure, this movie was basically Who Framed Roger Rabbit/Space Jam A New Legacy and therefore the meta-angle was contrived (especially with Sonic and the live action renditions of Baloo and Pumbaa).
Captain Putty was one of the most cringeworthy aspects, as he looked like a distant cousin of SpongeBob and his animation style was on the same par. The hand drawn animation was a mixed bag, as most of it was done cheaply, but there was still a few times where it was adequate. Still, there where times where some jokes worked. As for the storyline, it was fine enough. The dynamic between Chip and Dale was one of the strengths of the movie, as it worked pretty well. The same with the action and suspense of the storyline. My only gripe with the beginning is how it could`ve enhanced Chip and Dale`s time as children. Otherwise, the movie was okay and adequate, despite that it was a corporate, cynical project with few elements to truly redeem itself.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

You know when you eat at McDonald's and sure, you're not hungry anymore and it has all your favourite ingredients mixed together and it's not the greatest thing in the world and it's fun while you're at it, but you'll never say "oh that time I ate that thing at that McDonald's"? This is the movie version
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney has basically become the McDonald's of cinema and entertainment. Sure they make money, but they don't make art anymore.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I haven't read through the last 3 pages here...look I haven't even bothered to watch the trailer for this since I saw that still of the bad CGI with 2d filter Chip and CGI Dale. I do lurk on 4chan comics and cartoons and just from what Ive gathered from the thumbnails alone:

Gadget and Zipper a couple(?) Peter Pan gets old and fat and is the villain(???) and the whole thing is like a rejected WFRR script

no thanks...

:down: :down: :down:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Not only are they a couple, but they have like a gazillion crossbred, misshapen kids together. This abomination of a movie doesn't just destroy the Rescue Rangers characters, but so many others outside the show. I'm not surprised it's getting good reviews though. Critics don't care about Disney's legacy and the integrity of their characters; they only care about "the message" and how it aligns with their woke agenda. That's why they were so taken with the Wrecked Princesses.

Disney has been accused of being the McDonald's of entertainment for decades, but it never felt that way to me...until now.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage