Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Chip 'n' Dale (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

When you thought this idea couldn't get any worse.:facepalm:
Disney’s feature film reimagining of Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers has found its director. Akiva Schaffer, one-third of Lonely Island along with Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone's, has closed a deal to direct the studio’s live-action/CG hybrid take on Rescue Rangers, featuring the classic chipmunk duo.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, who produced The Muppets as well as Beauty and the Beast for the studio, are producing the project, whose distribution path is unclear. It may end up a theatrical release or could head to Disney+, the company’s upcoming streaming service that launches later this year.

Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script. Execs Louie Provost and Jessica Virtue are overseeing for the studio, Alex Young is shepherding for Mandeville Films/TV.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... er-1211757
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

So basically a replacement for Alvin and the Chipmunks. Will be skipping this for sure.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

What in the heck is Disney even doing to their legacy? Descendants, some of their live action films, for some RBTI, and now this. Disney might as well ignore their past movies & shows.

And I thought Hollywood was way past this. AATC hasn't been relevant for years.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I thought this project had been completely abandoned! If I understood it correctly, the movie won't be based on the TV series anymore, is that right? That's a real shame. :( I was excited for this project when it was first announced because I love the TV show and I thought that, if done right, it could be a good idea. Now, I'm not so sure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

From all the projects they have in development, Disney is moving forward with this one? Not Hunchback or Enchanted 2, but this one. Really? :facepalm: I expected that after the Fox acquisition, they would have shelved it. Just make a fifth Alvin and the Chipmunks movie and leave Chip and Dale alone. They're going to suffer enough with that horrible-looking animated reboot. Have some mercy!
We have learned that production designer Steve Saklad has joined the crew for Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of ‘Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers’. Akiva Schaffer will be directing the remake. ‘Dolittle’ screenwriters Doug Mand and Dan Gregor will write the screenplay for the film. The film is aiming to release in late 2021.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/02/29/s ... exclusive/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Maybe the success of Sonic the Hedgehog is making Disney see $$$$ for this movie.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm actually surprised they haven't made more Alvin and the Chipmunks films. Especially after one of them beat TPATF at the box office by a huge margin.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Maybe this good still bwe good, if they good a great all atar voice cast !! :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apparently, this is still a thing.
We have a small update for you on Disney’s long-in-development live-action adaptation of Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers, based on the 90’s series of the same name. We have learned that production on the live-action/CGI hybrid is set to begin filming next spring in Los Angeles, California. The studio is also prepping this film as a part of their original films for Disney+. Another cool tidbit on the project we are hearing but have not been able to confirm, is the original voice cast for the Rescue Rangers team, Tress MacNeille (Chip and Gadget), Corey Burton (Dale and Zipper), and Jim Cummings (Monterey Jack) are all expected to return for the film.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2020/10/19/ex ... e-rangers/
We can now confirm that Corey Burton, original voice for Dale and Zipper, will be reprising those roles for this film. Other cast members such as Tress MacNeille (Chip and Gadget) and Jim Cummings (Monterey Jack) are expected to return as well, but not confirmed.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2020/11/20/ex ... ney-movie/
We have learned that Larry Fong will serve as the cinematographer on Disney’s live-action Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers film.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/11/17/l ... exclusive/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't want this to happen, but it's positive news that they will at least return the original voice cast. It's not that I would be against new voices or anything, I just wouldn't want them to sound as unbearable on the ears as the kid characters do on the new DuckTales.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It would be great if the original voice cast returned for this film.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So...John Mulaney and Andy Samberg as Chip and Dale? It's great casting and with their voices being redone, this is one of the only celeb re-castings they can get away with it. But, what a slap on the face to Tress MacNeille! :(

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 3023682564
blackcauldron85

This was one of the clips that I didn't get to see...did anyone get to?
blackcauldron85

I'm reading the Laughing Place live blog, and
Dale is CGI while Chip has a traditional look.
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... -day-2020/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

:facepalm:
According to the casting grid the official log line/synopsis for the film is as follows:

It’s been years since the end of the Rescure Rangers, and Chip and Dale, are currently living a life of mediocrity. Now Chip and Dale must renew their partnership to try and save a friend from a fate worst that death: video piracy.

In case that description isn’t enough to give you an idea of the general tone Schaffer is aiming for, or what the film will be about, a breakdown for a character named Ellie Whitfield offers some additional details:

Human, any ethnicity, Ellie is a newly promoted detective, eager and excitable, the only detective young enough to have grown up with and loved the Rescue Rangers TV show. Being human, she’s much larger than the cartoon characters with whom she interacts, which is all part of the fun as she embarks on helping Chip and Dale track down the sinister Mean Dean.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2020/12/11/ex ... e-rangers/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Do they want to break the record for the most pirated movie of all time? Because that’s how you break the record for most pirated movie of all time.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I was excited for this movie, but that sounds awful. What a missed opportunity. :( Now I understand blackcauldron85's comment. I didn't completely get what the movie was about in the presentation. Here's what Sean Bailey said:
For Disney+, we're currently in development on a hybrid live action-animated feature with two perennial favorites in Chip N’ Dale: Rescue Rangers. Popstar's Akiva Schaffer directs, and the hilarious John Mulaney and Andy Samberg are set to star in the title roles. Seth Rogen will cameo, and you'll be sure to recognize his voice in this early animation test we are sharing with you today. In our film, cartoons are living among us in all their animated forms, and let's just say, Dale may have gone a little overboard to keep up with the current popularity of CGI.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Funnily enough, that's the kind of storyline I always thought would be the most appropriate for a Roger Rabbit sequel set in present day.

Meta humour is extremely popular nowadays and I think this is a clever way of showing how animation has changed and evolved in the last thirty years. Chip and Dale being done in different animation techniques is actually really funny to me. :lol:

I wasn't the biggest fan of "Popstar", the director's previous movie, but I do know it has a significant following that grew even after it flopped at the box-office. Looking forward to seeing his approach to this concept.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wouldn't have seen this regardless, but, man, they're really topping themselves with how bad they can make this. Sounds worse than that Prince Charming movie (which I think was cancelled?). I like John Mulaney, although his voice is going to be so weird over top of a chipmunk. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:Funnily enough, that's the kind of storyline I always thought would be the most appropriate for a Roger Rabbit sequel set in present day.
Yes, I think that idea could've worked for a Roger Rabbit sequel, for example, or with completely original characters. I just don't like they used it for this property. I would've preferred a film in a similar tone as the original series.