Questions regarding Disney dolls and toy sets

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Questions regarding Disney dolls and toy sets

Post by DC Fan »

Hi,

I went today at a Disney Store and got an Elsa doll for a friend as a Christmas gift. The Classic Doll:

http://www.disneystore.com/elsa-classic ... 6/1000259/

It was a little expensive (in Spain/Europe) but that was to be expected since the movie is just out. However, it was very well worth it as you can see.

Then I went to Toys R Us and a Department Store. Checked the dolls there and couldn´t believe how they looked. They didn´t resemble at ALL the character!

I mean, yes, since the dolls are being sold at a Disney Store you have to expect they will have a higher quality. But I´d think that still, by general standards, the dolls should look similar. They´re still sold under the Disney brand. How´s this possible?

Speaking of...

I checked the Classic Rapunzel doll at the Disney Store and the doll didn´t look at all like her. So, what happened here this time?

http://www.disneystore.com/classic-disn ... 6/1000259/

...even the dress look cheap.

And this question is regarding the Toy Sets. Here, the quality is all over the place. Sometimes they look really nice, other´s just Ok and sometimes awful.

When I saw the one for Frozen it looked nice...at a distance. Then I looked at it up close at the Disney Store site and...take a closer look at Anna´s face:

http://www.disneystore.com/frozen-figur ... 8/1000262/

Why so different?

So, to have all my questions together in order to answer:

1. Is it Ok for Disney to be selling dolls outside they´re stores don´t resemble they´re characters at all?

2. Why the Rapunzel Classic Doll doesn´t look like her? ; and this IS from the Disney Store.

3. Are Toy Sets worth it?

Thanks
dollover
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Questions regarding Disney dolls and toy sets

Post by dollover »

To me, the Mattel dolls look like this:

Makes me wonder if they finalized the dolls based on concept art and before seeing the final designs.

And yes, I agree the Rapunzel classic doll looks nothing like her. Belle, Cinderella, and Aurora's dolls look nothing like them either. The rest are ok representations. It's interesting how they can get it so right with some characters, like Elsa, and be hideously off with others, like Aurora. But the facemolds often change from year to year, and usually for the better, so hopefully one day they will all look spot on.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

When I saw your nick and at the reply I was so glad!

Thank you.

You mentioned that Aurora looks so bad. Then I went to check and I couldn´t believe it! She looks like a 70´s doll! :shock:
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Regarding the Toy Sets, I personally enjoy getting them even if it's just to display the characters. It's kind of nice (for me) to have at least one thing for the various characters and the Toy Sets help quite a bit with that.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I do like how they´re displayed. They´re perfect just the way they are.

But, why is it that the quality of them is sometimes very poor?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

It only looks like Elsa is the only bad one. Rapunzel's doll has always looked not like herself and ugly to me. But Aurora looks like herself, right here:

http://www.disneystore.com/classic-disn ... 2/1000259/
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

On the Disney Store web site, there's this page for a wonderful Cinderella doll and carriage set:

Cinderella Doll and Carriage Set

But the description is wrong. It says she's wearing her wedding gown instead of her ballgown, which she is really wearing. It's probably because for a certain amount of time they did have her wedding gown with that carriage, called the "Happily Ever After" carriage, which of course didn't make sense because it's her ball pumpkin coach not her wedding coach, so I'm glad they went back to her ballgown (even though she still needs her gloves!).

Is there a way I can contact Disney and let them know about the wrong description?
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Mattel dolls not looking like the characters is no surprise at all. None of the princesses look like they should be.
And heres why i think it's that way.. It's so that people buy dolls from the Disney Store instead. It's a business model.

JC Penny has a new deal with Disney where they release similar dolls, different plastic and cheaper-looking outfits. You can see in their Frozen section, while the dolls look similar, they are different. Their outfits are different and their plastic is different too.

Big differences being Elsa missing all the glitter from her cape, and Anna not having a cape or the hat.

I don't know if you know this or not, but when a Disney movie comes out, they release detailed 12" Classic dolls, and a year later, after the princesses are inducted into the Princess line, they are re-released in an incredibly bare-bones version.

A perfect comparison would be Merida:
The fist picture is the one that came out when the movie was released and the second is a year later:

*All images from google, none are mine.

So as you can see, there is a BIG difference. So if anyone is thinking about getting the Frozen dolls, go get them now before they are all gone for good.

What putts me off about this is that Anna and Elsa are both the same height. (the toddlers are different though). I got the two dell set for a friend and I was like "No, Elsa should be taller, why are they the same!" and the 17" singing dolls are a joke!

I mean, Elsa is $40 and they couldn't afford to give her a fancy cape instead of a clear one? And what's going on with her face... It just doesn't look right. I understand what they were going for, and the idea is good, but the execution is bad!
Same thing with Anna. No cape or hat. It feels like they are ripping people off...

As for the figure set.. I was surprised at how they were made..
a) Where are the trolls?
b) Where is Marshmallow?
c) They used the same exact figure for Anna, Elsa, and Olaf that was used on the ornaments and the snow globe.

It's just one of those days where I wish I worked for Disney Merchandising. I'd make you all go broke.. :P
Last edited by taei on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

the best Mattel disney dolls were the ones from the 90's & early 2000's. Then Bratz hit big, & suddenly they all got huge heads & vapid "generic princess" expressions.