What is your ideal Disney movie?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

What is your ideal Disney movie?

Post by reee9948 »

For me personally, my ideal Disney movie would contain the following:

*A Love Story

*A Disney princess or female lead with a classical beauty rather than modern or contemporary beauty. If you don't know what I'm taking about, just look up any actress from the 1900-1920s or any 1800s portrait of a young female.

* Beautiful, detailed 2d animation like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, or Fantasia.

* Songs that evoke somber, melancholic feelings like the ones in Bambi or Sleeping Beauty. I honestly prefer singing style from the 30-50s. Don't get me wrong, I love the 90s song, but the older Disney singing style is what tugs my heart string the most. Examples of melancholic song are the "I Bring You A Song" from Bambi, Baby Mine, the Sleeping Chorus when the fairies put everyone to sleep, or the deleted version called "Go to Sleep." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_555Uq0X3g

* A pure evil villain, like Maleficent or Evil Queen. I would be nice if the villains don't sing because I feel like it makes them more intimidating and creepy.

* Not to be edgy, but I want at least one that feels dark for a kid movie like when Bambi finds out his mother died or the donkey scene in Pinocchio.

* An extra bonus would be if the story takes place in Persia, Afghanistan, or any other place in the Middle East.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: What is your ideal Disney movie?

Post by carolinakid »

For me it would be any non woke, non virtue signaling story with beautiful hand drawn animation done in the classic Disney style similar to the films produced from Snow White to Sleeping Beauty.
That’s the ideal Disney film to me.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I too would love something in 2D. I wouldn't mind a new setting/story that takes place in a location that hasn't been used before (or used frequently) such as India or Japan or Russia or somewhere in Africa. I just want it to be a real place and not some amalgamated thing like Corona, or Arendelle, or Rosas, or Kumandra, or (the worst) Avalor.

The story should have some gravitas like Sleeping Beauty or The Lion King, but without a road trip or opposites learning to work together them (not that I don't enjoy such stories, but they have done so many lately).

I want comic relief that is understated (e.g., Cogsworth with the "flowers, chocolates . . . promises you don't intend to keep" line) rather than childish (e.g., jokes where the punch line is a reference butts or farts). I love The Emperor's New Groove and Wreck It Ralph and laugh out loud at both . . . but I'm getting bored with crass humor. Make me laugh with something more sophisticated.

I would want a strong/intimidating villain who is truly evil and just not misunderstood or somehow sympathetic. And for the love of all that is holy, no surprise villain. Romance would be nice as well as long as it's straightforward (no pun intended) and not romance with a twist (e.g., the main character discovers her true love is actually herself or her daughter or her sister or . . . .) Not every story needs romance (Moana didn't) but it's been awhile since it's been a thing.

Of course, music. I want a beautiful score and catchy songs (but not those that try to hard to be "edgy").

And finally, tell an enjoyable story with universally relatable themes without trying to change the world. In my opinion it's a very fine line between subtle and sanctimonious and it seems few directors actually are very skilled at pulling that off. While "makes you think" films have their value and place, not every film needs to be one, IMO.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Hand drawn. I don't hate CG, its just all starting to feel too soulless and samey, and I'd rather they let Pixar handle that stuff.

Possibly male protagonist. I don't mind princess movies, but I don't feel like we get enough male staring roles anymore. Especially if all the females are going to just going to be another quirky adorkable modern girl.

I don't want the music to feel too modern and pop ish, it needs to hold up after more than a decade, and following anything too trendy is the fastest way to age the movie.

Unique art style goes a long way, lilo and stitch was perfect, it was so different from the norm and so appealing.

More mature themes would be nice, nothing r rated or anything, I just want the story to not be too thin.

This is a big one, not too many characters. I like scenes where there's one to one conversations. I feel like we don't get enough of those, instead we get large casts that barely get enough screen time. Trim the fat, so our main characters and even the smaller ones get a moment to shine.

Alan Menken. nuff said.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Either Meet the Robinsons, Winnie the Pooh, or The Princess and the Frog.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

reee9948 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:35 pm For me personally, my ideal Disney movie would contain the following:

*A Love Story

*A Disney princess or female lead with a classical beauty rather than modern or contemporary beauty. If you don't know what I'm taking about, just look up any actress from the 1900-1920s or any 1800s portrait of a young female.

* Beautiful, detailed 2d animation like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, or Fantasia.

* Songs that evoke somber, melancholic feelings like the ones in Bambi or Sleeping Beauty. I honestly prefer singing style from the 30-50s. Don't get me wrong, I love the 90s song, but the older Disney singing style is what tugs my heart string the most. Examples of melancholic song are the "I Bring You A Song" from Bambi, Baby Mine, the Sleeping Chorus when the fairies put everyone to sleep, or the deleted version called "Go to Sleep." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_555Uq0X3g

* A pure evil villain, like Maleficent or Evil Queen. I would be nice if the villains don't sing because I feel like it makes them more intimidating and creepy.

* Not to be edgy, but I want at least one that feels dark for a kid movie like when Bambi finds out his mother died or the donkey scene in Pinocchio.

* An extra bonus would be if the story takes place in Persia, Afghanistan, or any other place in the Middle East.
carolinakid wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:32 am For me it would be any non woke, non virtue signaling story with beautiful hand drawn animation done in the classic Disney style similar to the films produced from Snow White to Sleeping Beauty.
That’s the ideal Disney film to me.
yes please to all this!!! i saw these posts scrolling online and felt so happy to see other real people who think just as I do. this means classic Disney is a lost art but not forgotten by fans unlike soulless agenda that bob iger makes.

my dream is we see a return to real Disney exactly like you both said. I am so tired of twist villains with no scares, ugly heroines who are clumzy to be relatable, and DEI quotas.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Hard to say because I feel like there is a difference between "What is your ultimate dream of a Disney movie" vs. "What kind of movie do you want Disney to be making right now in this ecosystem?"

Generally, though.

*No Meta-Commentary: It was kinda cute with Enchanted, but now every time it surfaces, it's just awkward and embarrassing.

*Musical: I obviously don't need every Disney film to be a musical, but especially as live-action musicals are kinda struggling to keep their head above water, I find myself wanting for Disney to keep the genre in the game. Looking at 7+ numbers plus reprises and a choral finale. Extra points for a soaring ballad for the male lead. Extra-extra points if Menken is involved.

*Large Cast of Characters: Obviously you can't develop a cast of 12+ characters equally. Usually there's like three or four that sort of emerge to the top with a nice entourage to support them, but something like Hunchback of Notre Dame where you have such strong presences with Quasimodo, Esmeralda, Phoebus, and Frollo all eating up the screen every time they're present.

*No Meta-Commentary, AGAIN: It's a Disney movie. Show some pride, you cowards.

Some things I'd LIKE to see in a Disney movie soon:

*A Proper Love Story at the Center: It's been a while since we've got a new love song. I think the closest might be "Lost in the Woods," which is fun, but nothing like "A Whole New World"

*An Animal Cast: I've said before, animals are just fun for storytelling. There's a lot of ways you can pull this off. The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Lady & the Tramp, Zootopia, etc. I'd personally most prefer something set like deep in the animal kingdom without human characters getting in the way, but as long as the main characters translate well to the plushie market, I'll be fine.

*Genuine Bad Guy: This isn't a strict necessity for EVERY Disney movie, in my book, but we are kind of starving for them. Magnifico's presence in WISH tells me Disney knows there is a market for this, they just have to rediscover what how they fit into the Disney storytelling.