Disney Preschool Spin-Offs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DEEcat98

Disney Preschool Spin-Offs

Post by DEEcat98 »

When it comes to Disney spin-offs, anyone notice how half of the Disney spin-offs these days are cartoon shows aimed at preschoolers? I mean, here is the list of them.

- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (first Preschool spin-off of the Mickey Mouse cartoons)
- My Friends Tigger and Pooh (Preschool spin-off of the Winnie the Pooh franchise)
- Jake and The Neverland Pirates (Preschool spin-off of Peter Pan)
- Sofia the First (first Preschool spin-off of the Disney Princesses franchise)
- Palace Pets (second Preschool spin-off of the Disney Princesses franchise)
- The Lion Guard (Preschool spin-off of The Lion King (although, it did had some pretty deep moments))
- Elena of Avalor (third Preschool spin-off of the Disney Princesses franchise)
- Mickey and the Roadster Racers/Mickey Mouse's Mixed-Up Adventures (second Preschool spin-off of the Mickey Mouse cartoons)
- Mickey Mouse Funhouse (third Preschool spin-off of the Mickey Mouse cartoons)
- Alice's Wonderland Bakery (Preschool spin-off of Alice in Wonderland)

Many of them have been made for younger audiences, but how do any of you think of Disney doing these kind of spin-offs to their iconic classics these days?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Preschool Spin-Offs

Post by singerguy04 »

I think they do this for a few different reasons, but some of the biggest are brand recognition and aiming them towards younger audiences does little to impact their image or lore.

As part of the larger fandom, we don't view these series as impacting these characters and Disney doesn't do much to involve them in the larger franchises. The only exception I see is the inclusion of Elena into the Princesses in the parks. She lives in a grey area that doesn't really move outside of her show and the parks. In all other merchandise she's rarely seen.

To me these series have as much, or even less, impact on the source material as The Little Mermaid series, Aladdin Series, or Timon & Pumba.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

To me it doesn’t matter whether or not they’re primarily aimed at “preschool”, Most of these shows, particularly the most recent ones from Sofia onwards Are just as entertaining let alone beneficial and informative to any and all ages and their respective cannons and works As any other form of additional media to the movie franchises. Like I’ve always believed, they’re actually up higher and better quality than not only pretty much anything else from Disney Channel but most things Disney overall No matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

And this is what my friend has to say about this:

While there are definitely certainly some shows aimed at a younger audience, mostly for educational reasons, I’ve never seen any reason to differentiate between the ‘age group’ of a series. If a series respects all its viewers/and can tell good stories, with good characters, setting, score, etc., then it deserves to be praised as much as a series that may be aimed at an ‘older audience’ and hence can be/should be enjoyed by everyone. There are SO many great examples of this, from Sofia the first, to Elena of Avalor, to The Lion Guard, to Arthur, to Cyberchase, to Seasame Street, to Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood to Bluey.😊
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Lion Guard was terrible.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Farerb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:40 am The Lion Guard was terrible.
NO It’s truly unbelievable! Perfectly captured the essence of the lion king/overall franchise and heck in my opinion is actually even better than the original movie, if nothing else for not having foolish nonsense like the hula scene, Which literally broke canon and continuity in More ways than one, especially compared to the lion guard itself which would be a true understatement. If I may ask, did you actually watch the entire series?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I watched this and it was enough for me:

https://youtu.be/zoeOzR3EBfc
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Farerb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 am I watched this and it was enough for me:

https://youtu.be/zoeOzR3EBfc
It’s really sad that you will judge an entire series based on one element, let alone one that’s quite late in the Series, Based on one element, regardless of its ties to the larger franchise, of which you don’t really know anything about if this is supposedly the only part of it that you’ve seen. How do you know based on what you would’ve known if you would watch the entire series up until that point that it doesn’t fit in with scars backstory?