Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Disney is planning a live action Cruella De Vil Movie

Post by PatrickvD »

This all sounds so dumb. Maybe if it took place in the late 40s/early 50s it would make sense, but now it's supposed to tie into the Glen Close film?? WHY?

This and that CGI Lion King remake are high on my boycot list. They make zero sense.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, this film, TLK, the Dumbo film, the Tinkerbell film, the Prince Charming film, the Rose Red-Snow White film, and the Aladdin prequel (Genies) all sound stupid. And Maleficent 2 and TJB2 boggle my mind although I'm not deadset against them... I hope B&tB doesn't get a sequel. D:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I might sound overly optimistic here, but I welcome them all. I think as long as they fit room for them. Meaning, that if other, better ideas come along that they don't cancel them in favour of these live action films. I have enjoyed them all to an extent. Especially Cinderella & Jungle Book. If they could manage to bring out one every year that could be cool.

People maybe need to see these films as an experimentation in the story rather than the absolute version of it.

For Emma, this could be good. She's never done a villainous role I don't think. It sounds a bit boring, but it might end up being an interesting psychological film.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Oh my gosh! :facepalm: What a insipid, dumb premise! We already have two live action adaptations of 101 Dalmatians (where one of them just served as a dumb, pointless and unnecessary cash-in sequel which added nothing to the premise), so why even bother? Now that the live action remakes have redeemed themselves (and deservedly so), why even tarnish that reputation?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like Cruella will be a prequel to the '90s live-action remake. If that's the case, I hope they keep up with the continuity and don't do any retcons.
Walt Disney Pictures has been developing a 101 Dalmations prequel focusing on villain Cruella de Vil, who will be played by Oscar-nominee Emma Stone (Birdman, La La Land). We’ve uncovered a possible plot detail about the film.

Omega Underground has learned that Cruella will be set in London during 1979 and the punk-scene might be the backdrop (think The Clash/Sex Pistols). We’re treating this as a rumor but it might be fitting as we’re seeing a lot of the live-action Disney films set in London taking place in various eras to keep them varied.

Cruella will be directed by Alex Timbers (Mozart In The Jungle) and is currently in pre-production. Filming is expected to start sometime this year in London, England.
Spurce: http://omegaunderground.com/2018/01/07/ ... 0s-london/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would be more excited for this film if it is in fact a prequel that will align with the continuity of the live-action films.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

They can try to connect this to '90s live-action films if they want, but unless they open the film with Glenn Close, how will the average viewer even know that? And why should anyone care if it's connected to the Glenn Close films anyway; it's not like the characters/plot are especially distinguishable from the animated film.
Sotiris

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I was wondering if they'll make Cruella's real name in the movie to be Ella and Cruella just a nickname someone gave her similarly to the whole Cinderella/Ella situation. What do you think?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I hope not. I was glad they did that for Cinderella but it wouldn't suit Cruella. Her larger-than-life antics allow her to have an outrageous name.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

And although there are many variations of the Cinderella fairy tale, Kenneth Branagh's take wasn't the first one to use the "Cinderella as nickname" concept.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Oooh, I love the idea of this being like a new version of Cinderella where we learn she was really just a hateful *****. She probably knifed her stepfamily in this version, and now all she needs is a spotted-coat so she can finally go to the ball.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^ :lol: That would be amazing, if they had the guts to do that. Once Upon a Time sort of did that with Cruella. I think they'll make her more sympathetic by giving her a sad backstory, probably issues with her mom, but instead of redeeming her like Maleficent, they'll will have her go off the deep end in the third act and become the Cruella we know by the end. That's my theory.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I think they'll make her more sympathetic by giving her a sad backstory, probably issues with her mom, but instead of redeeming her like Maleficent, they'll will have her go off the deep end in the third act and become the Cruella we know by the end. That's my theory.
That makes sense. It's what I think they're going to do too. And that way the ending would connect it to the 90s film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I liked how OUAT made Cruella a flat out psychopath with no tragic backstory or abusive family to explain why she ended up the way she did. I hope Disney goes this route especially since it would be nice to see Emma Stone in a full-out villainous role.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^That would be refreshing and fun to see but I doubt Disney's willing to go that route.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Just a clarification, "Cinderella as a nickname" is what was the case for the original Cinderella stories as Perrault and the Grimms told them.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I was wondering if they'll make Cruella's real name in the movie to be Ella and Cruella just a nickname someone gave her similarly to the whole Cinderella/Ella situation. What do you think?
Well, that's what (somewhat) happened in 102 Dalmatians, though it was more vaguely explored.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

There's a new brief synopsis. But it has been posted by Skyler Shuler, the guy who posted the fake news about The Lion King remake yesterday, on another website he also contributes to. So, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Almost two years ago it was reported that Emma Stone signed on to star in a Cruella De Vil origin story tentatively titled “Cruella” with Alex Timbers (Mozart In The Jungle) set to direct. Since then we have heard almost nothing on the project, until now.

As we’ve received this mini-synopsis: “Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1970’s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella’s hatred of Dalmatians”.
Source: https://dsnynewscast.com/2018/07/exclus ... gin-story/
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

There's like...three things wrong at least with that statement.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The only thing I like about it is that Cruella has a real name.

Dang, how long has this been in development