DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

A new Disney Villains book is being published. It'll be released on May 08, 2018. It tells the stories of The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Aladdin from the perspectives of the villains. At first I thought this was a re-release of the "My Side of the Story" books but it looks like it's a new thing since it includes Jafar who never got one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 pm 
Platinum Edition

It looks like it's the new illustrations with shading and lighting from the wave of princess books that coincided with the original films' Diamond and Signature Edition releases, just using illustrations and text that focus on the villains. The exceptions of course are Cruella DeVille and Captain Hook but that's because their illustrations come from the large format books that were made for Disney's most popular films, including the princess ones that the new princess illustrations with shading and lighting were re-do's of. I love that they have an illustration of Maleficent disappearing after Aurora pricks her finger!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am 
Limited Edition

Glad to see five of my fav villains of all time in there. However, I wish they had either updated the illustrations for 101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan, or not bothered with them at all. Gaston and Lady Tremaine to represent Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella might have been better choices since those films' books have the updated shaded illustrations. The older illustrations look so dated especially next to the new ones.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am 
Limited Edition

I'm very interested in that Villains book. It looks like it has some new illustrations of The Queen and Maleficent

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 am 
Platinum Edition

On November 14, 2017, Don Hahn had a book released called "Yesterday's Tomorrow: Disney's Magical Mid-Century." It's been on my to-buy list for a few months.

https://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Tomor ... id-Century

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am 
Special Edition

Does anyone know since when those The Art of... books are published and what was the first WDAS to have one released?

Are they worth it? Did they go deep into the production aspect or are they mostly just illustrations?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 am 
Limited Edition

Is there anyone who ordered this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sorcerers-Appren ... 1368023312

I read some reviews online which said the artwork in the book is exquisite, and that it offers a collectible poster as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Sicoe Vlad wrote:
Is there anyone who ordered this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sorcerers-Appren ... 1368023312

I read some reviews online which said the artwork in the book is exquisite, and that it offers a collectible poster as well.

On Amazon you should be able to look inside the book for a preview and see some of the illustrations. Maybe it varies on your region though, but I can see it from the US.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:48 am 
Limited Edition

Does anyone know if "Pinocchio: Making of a Disney Epic" by J.B Kaufman is going out of print soon? I've noticed that the price has been hiking up on Amazon during the past few months and I'd like to grab it before it gets too pricey.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:45 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney will be releasing "Cinderella: Princessography" on November 6, 2018. Check it out here.

The description is as follows:
Quote:
Cinderella: Princessography is a unique, in-world account of Cinderella’s story featuring lush, original illustrations on every page.

Told from the perspective of her Fairy Godmother, readers experience a truly enchanting visual adventure as they move through the village, visit the Chateau, meet the prince and several animal friends, and of course, encounter a bit of bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!

The book includes items from the magical story on each spread, featuring the original invitation to the ball, a dash of Fairy Godmother’s magical dust, the key that Jaq and Gus used to rescue Cinderella, and much more.

With found artifacts, original illustrations, and the private thoughts of Fairy Godmother herself, this book is a fresh take on the timeless classic, allowing readers to become fully immersed in the world of a girl who never gave up believing in her dreams and the magical guardian who helped make them come true.

The cover illustrations are all taken from film stills (except the mice), so I'd rather they just drew wholly new and better looking illustrations, but I love that they have the bluebirds and designs from the in-film storybook! This whole book looks and sounds waaaay up my alley. I'm sure I'll love it! Do you guys think they will do Princessography books for other princesses? I would guess yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:29 am 
Limited Edition

This looks really interesting and I love the idea of diving deep into Cinderella's world. I love the idea of "artifacts" from the movie being. It reminds me of some of the Harry Potter books that feature actual props of the objects in the movie like newspapers, letters, etc. although those are actually separate from the book. These sound like they are just printed in the actual pages rather than being separable objects.

I love the cover design though. Although Cinderella's hair color isn't accurate enough for my taste, I love how her dress is actually silver (although her neckline isn't accurate). Weird that the one scene where her dress should actually be blue is where it isn't but I'm not complaining.

I'd love to see more books in this style, at least for the classic princesses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:34 am 
Platinum Edition

Thanks for commenting! Yeah it looks like her dress is silver with some blue shadow, and yeah the neckline isn't right, but I actually am very fine with her hair color, I would call it accurate myself. I have no idea how the artifacts will be. I guess I'll find out!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Thanks for commenting! Yeah it looks like her dress is silver with some blue shadow, and yeah the neckline isn't right, but I actually am very fine with her hair color, I would call it accurate myself. I have no idea how the artifacts will be. I guess I'll find out!

Her neckline reminds me of Snow White's neckline in the redesign. A sweetheart neckline.

The most accurate hair color for me is in Cinderella III: A Twist in Time. Other examples would be the Disney Parks dolls from the late 90s-early 2000s when the DP franchise hadn't officially begun but was slowly formulating. They used to give Cinderella her proper copper red hair there even if her dress was blue. The golden books from the late 80s-early 90s also used her proper hair color.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:50 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes it's a sweetheart neckline. I love sweetheart necklines.

I can't remember what all the dolls' hair looked like. But the special limited doll of her I own has the right color, to me. It's like gold, not red, but in some unrestored clips and pictures of the film her hair looks more gold/dark blonde than red. But yeah, that Golden Book got her hair color and I would even say dress color right! Her dress is a very silvery blue where appropriate (garden, stairs) and darker blue where appropriate (dancing with prince). It's a little bluer than it should be, I guess, but to me it's the perfect color, a good tread between silver and blue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's an example. I actually remember her hair being redder so maybe the one I'm thinking about is an older one (the one pictured is from 2000). The hair color looks a lot like the one from the recent designer set where Cinderella is paired with Lady Tremaine. I'm assuming that's the one you have since her hair color is the most accurate there out of all the dolls. I agree that in some shots of the original film, her hair looks more gold or even brown than red.

For me, her dress has always been silver but designed by the Fairy Godmother in such a way that in the night sky, it would reflect to look like ice blue. Hence why the Fairy Godmother notes the shade of Cinderella's eyes when coming up with the dress, since her eye color is also ice blue. Actually the palace from the film is very similar to Cinderella's dress because its natural color is white but in the night scenes, it reflects blue or silvery blue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:02 am 
Limited Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Disney will be releasing "Cinderella: Princessography" on November 6, 2018. Check it out here.

The description is as follows:
Quote:
Cinderella: Princessography is a unique, in-world account of Cinderella’s story featuring lush, original illustrations on every page.

Told from the perspective of her Fairy Godmother, readers experience a truly enchanting visual adventure as they move through the village, visit the Chateau, meet the prince and several animal friends, and of course, encounter a bit of bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!

The book includes items from the magical story on each spread, featuring the original invitation to the ball, a dash of Fairy Godmother’s magical dust, the key that Jaq and Gus used to rescue Cinderella, and much more.

With found artifacts, original illustrations, and the private thoughts of Fairy Godmother herself, this book is a fresh take on the timeless classic, allowing readers to become fully immersed in the world of a girl who never gave up believing in her dreams and the magical guardian who helped make them come true.

The cover illustrations are all taken from film stills (except the mice), so I'd rather they just drew wholly new and better looking illustrations, but I love that they have the bluebirds and designs from the in-film storybook! This whole book looks and sounds waaaay up my alley. I'm sure I'll love it! Do you guys think they will do Princessography books for other princesses? I would guess yes.

Love that! It kinda looks like the official 75th anniversary companion to The Wizard of Oz. With all the bonus collectibles and memorabilia. Super excited for it!

Last edited by Sicoe Vlad on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:43 am 
Platinum Edition

Yay! Glad you're excited! I'll have to look up the 75th Oz book.

About the doll, that doll's hair looks perfect, but no mine is the 1998 Signature Collection doll in her magic ballgown.

Yeah, the castle is white but looks blue at night! I agree about the dress, but I am still unsure if Disney intended it silver or ice blue. Mike Peraza said the ballroom was originally going to be blue but they made it pink because Cinderella's blue had to stand out. I dunno, I wish I could access the Disney archives and see the color notes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m very excited. The illustration on the cover is so beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Yay! Glad you're excited! I'll have to look up the 75th Oz book.

About the doll, that doll's hair looks perfect, but no mine is the 1998 Signature Collection doll in her magic ballgown.

Yeah, the castle is white but looks blue at night! I agree about the dress, but I am still unsure if Disney intended it silver or ice blue. Mike Peraza said the ballroom was originally going to be blue but they made it pink because Cinderella's blue had to stand out. I dunno, I wish I could access the Disney archives and see the color notes!

That's a gorgeous doll and probably the definitive Cinderella doll. Although I'm not a fan of her hair color there. Yes, it's better than what the Disney Store uses but it's still too blonde for my taste. I also don't like the doll's face. The Signature Snow White and Aurora look far prettier.

Well, Cinderella's dress is blue when she first walks into the ballroom and the prince crosses to meet her. When the lights are dimming and the screen turns purple though, her skirt is white. Even when the crowds are gathered around the dancing couple and you can only see the heads of the prince and Cinderella, the little glimpses of her skirt appear to be more white than blue. I am glad though that the ballroom is pink rather than blue. It gives it a very royal and romantic atmosphere imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:19 am 
Platinum Edition

I agree with all of that except I am actually ok with her hair and love her face.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next