DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 2000s?
Fantasia 2000 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Dinosaur 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
The Emperor's New Groove 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Atlantis: The Lost Empire 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Lilo & Stitch 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Treasure Planet 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Brother Bear 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Home on the Range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chicken Little 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meet the Robinsons 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bolt 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Princess and the Frog 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to rank the films from the 2000s, I've decided to create one in the style of the others.

Here's my ranking:

1. Treasure Planet
2. The Emperor's New Groove
3. The Princess and the Frog
4. Lilo & Stitch
5. Meet the Robinsons
6. Bolt
7. Fantasia 2000
8. Home on the Range
9. Brother Bear
10. Dinosaur
11. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
12. Chicken Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:05 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

1. The Princess and the Frog
2. Lilo & Stitch
3. The Emperor's New Groove
4. Fantasia 2000
5. Treasure Planet
6. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
7. Dinosaur
8. Bolt
9. Meet the Robinsons
10. Brother Bear
11. Home on the Range
12. Chicken Little

Last edited by farerb on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:10 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to rank the films from the 2000s, I've decided to create one in the style of the others.

I guess this the least popular era here.

1. Lilo & Stitch
2. Meet the Robinsons
3. Treasure Planet
4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
5. Fantasia 2000
6. The Emperor's New Groove
7. The Princess and the Frog
8. Brother Bear
9. Bolt
10. Dinosaur
11. Chicken Little
12. Home on the Range

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 am 
Platinum Edition

This was an easy ranking for me.

Love
1. The Princess and the Frog
2. Treasure Planet
-
3. The Emperor's New Groove ~ I really only love Yzma and Kronk. They make this film. Kuzko has a few funny moments later in the movie though. The climactic scene with all the different transformations is hilarious.
4. Lilo & Stitch ~ I would've ranked this lower just last year, but when I watched the film a few months past, I enjoyed it much more than I had in the past.
5. Atlantis: The Lost Empire ~ I've liked this one more as time has passed as well. Milo used to annoy me (just like Lilo used to really get on my nerves in L&S). That's the major thing that changed, is those characters don't irk me anymore.
6. Fantasia 2000
7. Meet the Robinsons
8. Home On the Range
9. Dinosaur
10. Bolt
-
Hate
11. Brother Bear
12. Chicken Little

Christina Perri ~ "Human"
Dolly Parton ~ "Jesus & Gravity"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:39 am 
Limited Edition

Treasure Planet for me as is one of my top 5 favorite Classics. Love the adventure, the setting, the relationshio between Jim and John Silver. If anything it should have had more adventure.

-Fantasia 2000: Like it more than the original becuase it´s shorter and moves quickly. Sorcerer´s Apprentice shouldn´t been there.

-Dinosaur: I try to like this one (from hating it at first) but can´t. I love that it´s about dinosaurs but the story is basically The Land Before Time (that did it better) with a pinch of Tarzan. Also doesn´t make sense why some dinosaurs can talk and other´s don´t.

-The Emperor´s New Groove: So much fun. Hilarious. Love it.

-Atlantis: Always disappoints me. With time I have learned to like it for what it is but this one in particular lacks much of the adventure it was sold as by the trailers.

-Lilo and Stitch: Another one I really love. All the characters are great. Lilo is portrayed like an actual girl. Love her personality. And all the characters have motivation.

-Brother Bear: Really like it. Too me it get´s too much hate. I don´t think it´s too sugar coated. And I don´t dislike Coda at all. The moose are annoying. However, this should have ended what was then, the last 2D animated movie.

-Home on the Range: HATE IT. Everything. But especially Buck. I DESPISE him.

-Chicken Little: HATE IT. The movie could have had potential on it´s own but ended up being a bad Dreamworks movie copy with despicable characters.

-Meet the Robinsons: I used to hate. Not anymore. Yet I stand that the movie shouldn´t have been called that because the Robinsons don´t appear until later in the movie and none are memorable. Plus the jokes are lame.

-Bolt: And with this with have 3 Classics (not to mention the live action movies) where the plot is: the animals get lost and must find their way back. Also, the movie starts amazing and quickly drops the level. Not that it needed to be an actual movie of a dog with superpowers but something different that what it was.

-The Princess and the Frog: Should have been great but there are too many songs, most of the time the characters are in animal form and how they get back to it doesn´t make sense. Mama Odie is disgusting. Didn´t care for Ray or the crocodile. Dr. Facillier is an amazing villain and loved that they actually made Charlotte as Tiana´s friend.

Last edited by DC Fan on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

1- The Emperor's New Groove
2- The Princess and the Frog
3- Atlantis: The Lost Empire
4- Lilo & Stitch
5- Meet the Robinsons
6- Treasure Planet
7- Fantasia 2000
8- Bolt
9- Brother Bear
10- Dinosaur
11- Chicken Little
12- Home on the Range

Emperor's New Groove is the only one I love unconditionally, and it would probably fit right into my top 10 pretty easily. I do really like most of 2 through 6, but they all have one or two things holding them back from ranking as highly. I only really like parts of Fantasia 2000, and can live without it as a whole. I don't have much use for the last four.

Edit: Forgot about Bolt. It's easy to IMO

Last edited by Avaitor on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

I love most of the films produced during this time, so ranking them was hard for me. Honestly, I'm not at all confident in how I've ranked them. :embarrassed:

01. Fantasia 2000
02. Treasure Planet
03. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
04. Lilo & Stitch
05. The Emperor's New Groove
06. Brother Bear
07. The Princess and the Frog
08. Enchanted
09. Home on the Range
10. Dinosaur
11. Chicken Little
12. Bolt
13. Meet the Robinsons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I believe this is the first time I've seen someone here not place either Chicken Little or Home on the Range dead last! What do you like about CL, Sotiris? And by extension, what don't you like about MTR? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

Mooky wrote:
I believe this is the first time I've seen someone here not place either Chicken Little or Home on the Range dead last! What do you like about CL, Sotiris? And by extension, what don't you like about MTR? :D

Yay, I'm a first! :P I find that Chicken Little has some redeeming qualities to it. There are some funny gags here and there, appealing character designs, a fun soundtrack...I also like Abby Mallard as a character. It's not a lot, but it's something. Whereas I don't like anything from Meet the Robinsons. The pacing is frenetic, the plot is a mess, the humor is random, all the characters are annoying, the visuals are bland and sterile, the attempt at sentimentality at the end is cheap and unearned. Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the song "Little Wonders". That's literally it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Lilo & Stitch was not only the best movie of the decade, to me it was the last great hand drawn movie. (and thats coming from someone who liked brother bear more than most)

Their CG movies from this decade were pretty rough. Watchable, but very rewatchable if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 am 
Platinum Edition

Kyle wrote:
Lilo & Stitch was not only the best movie of the decade, to me it was the last great hand drawn movie. (and thats coming from someone who liked brother bear more than most)

Completely agree, it's the only genuine classic from this decade. There's a reason Disney favored this film the most between Tarzan and Tangled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

1. Lilo & Stitch - poignant and funny. This is how you usher Disney into a new millennium and introduce new type of stories. Unique character designs and beautiful water color backgrounds. The characters all make the film, they're all insanely lovable. And the use of music is superb.

2. The Emperor's New Groove - arguably the funniest Disney movie. Though a part of me wishes we had gotten Kingdom of the Sun instead, I'm much more grateful for TENG to exist within the canon. It's unique and unlike anything else. Yzma is one of my favorite villains.

3. The Princess and the Frog - not without its faults but I keep going back to it. It's beautiful but I wish it wasn't animated on tablets -- I don't know what, but something about the visuals feels ~flatter~ to me than in the '90s films. I don't mind the songs but it sucks we couldn't have gotten something more epic. The setting is new, and features wonderful characters. Tiana is amazing and I even find (frog) Naveen endearing. Charlotte is a scenestealer though. The plot just needed to be tighter, either by cutting down the roadtrip part or by Tiana having a personal connection to Facilier instead of being introduced to him so late in the movie. Or maybe even both. But yes, it was so nice seeing hand-drawn animation on the big screen again.

4. Brother Bear - severely underrated. I'm still not sure what people dislike about this movie. The characters are great, both Kenai and Koda (I usually find kid characters annoying, but for some reason I love Koda), the story is touching and I like the Inuit mythology, and the score is incredible. The songs are fun. The moose could have been a bit toned down though.

5. Fantasia 2000 - so much more (re)watchable than the original. It just has this positive vibe about it. I wish this concept was explored further, with additional Fantasia films and perhaps featuring world music too.

6. Atlantis: The Lost Empire - I just watched it the other day and I think my opinion of it has improved a bit. It has some issues with its internal logic, namely how it gets around the language barrier but it's a steampunk/fantasy movie so I can overlook it (it does a better job with it than Pocahontas does, though). The beginning has pacing issues, like the way characters are introduced so quickly (I guess they wanted to get on with the adventure part), but the movie improves once they get to Atlantis and we are introduced to its culture and inhabitants. And that ending fight/battle sequence was very tense and entertaining, possibly one of Disney's best.

7. Bolt - cute, fun, touching movie. Bolt is cool, but I really like Mittens, she's a wonderful character. One thing I disliked is the hamster, one of the most annoying sidekicks ever.

8. Treasure Planet - fun, engaging story and Jim is a great protagonist, but something about the designs rubs me the wrong way. I think I would have preferred if spaceships looked futuristic rather than having this retro sail ship look. Yes, I know it makes the movie look unique, but it's also kind of unsettling and bizarre at the same time. In the end it seems more like a gimmick, rather than a functional design. I suppose it can be seen as a steampunk version of the future, not "our" future?

9. Home on the Range - I thought it was fun, like a Western version of TENG, though not as funny or clever. I don't think it deserves its status of one of the black sheep of the canon, at least it features some good songs. But man, what a weird cast -- Judi Dench and Roseanne Barr in the same movie.

10. Dinosaur - I haven't seen it in years but remember liking it even though I felt it borrowed heavily from Tarzan. I need to watch it again.

11. Meet the Robinsons
Sotiris wrote:
Whereas I don't like anything from Meet the Robinsons. The pacing is frenetic, the plot is a mess, the humor is random, all the characters are annoying, the visuals are bland and sterile, the attempt at sentimentality at the end is cheap and unearned. Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the song "Little Wonders". That's literally it.

I could have written the same thing :lol: However, I really like "Little Wonders" so that's the only reason it's ranked above CL.

12. Chicken Little - it has no redeeming qualities for me whatsoever. I watched it in full at the movies, and then it took me several tries to see it in full again at home. Just terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

Mooky wrote:

3. The Princess and the Frog - not without its faults but I keep going back to it. It's beautiful but I wish it wasn't animated on tablets -- I don't know what, but something about the visuals feels ~flatter~ to me than in the '90s films. I don't mind the songs but it sucks we couldn't have gotten something more epic. The setting is new, and features wonderful characters. Tiana is amazing and I even find (frog) Naveen endearing. Charlotte is a scenestealer though. The plot just needed to be tighter, either by cutting down the roadtrip part or by Tiana having a personal connection to Facilier instead of being introduced to him so late in the movie. Or maybe even both. But yes, it was so nice seeing hand-drawn animation on the big screen again.
I was just sitting here thinking about how they could have made Facilier more connected to Tiana. First idea was Facilier possibly being her uncle. Maybe we could see a scene in the intro of him talking to the father and the father didn't like the "way" he decided to go about things (being bitter, taking the "easy way" / wrong way rather than working hard even if the world's stacked against them, as we see with the fact that Tiana's father's restaurant never came about and even Tiana is not allowed the building even when she finally gets the money. In other words, it's worth losing if the only way to "win" is by selling out--as Facilier literally sells his soul away--or doing something immoral.). The fact that her father's philosophy would be opposed to Facilier's would be the reason she would never go to him for help realizing her dream, but would make the confrontation scene at the end even more interesting. They possibly could've added a scene at the beginning when he's at the restaurant in the corner, with him mocking the fact that her work ethic is getting her nowhere as he leaves.

The only other idea I could think of is if she had had a relative (perhaps a brother) or a friend who had went to Facilier and things turned out badly for him (think Harold from the early story writes of The Little Mermaid) in the past, for a reason why she would avoid him or be openly hostile to him. I would think a brother would be the best pick, since she already has a female friend in the film (Charlotte), so a sister or another friend would conflict somewhat with Charlotte's role. Then after Tiana becomes a frog in a temporary moment of doubt (taking the easy way) when she kisses Naveen, she's advised by Odie later that she needs to break Facilier's powers so Tiana can save herself, Naveen, her brother, and Louis (who I would've kept the story for of being a man who'd been cursed by Facilier in the past).

Christina Perri ~ "Human"
Dolly Parton ~ "Jesus & Gravity"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ As usual, I like your idea, DD! While I love TP&tF as is, I do think that a connection between Tiana & Naveen potentially could have added even more.

(I think this is the first time I haven't cheated by making ties in a ranking!?)

1. The Princess and the Frog- Tied for 4th favorite DAC ever. I absolutely adore this film, I love the characters (I don't *love* the frog hunters, but I don't mind them), the different settings (mansions to the swamp), the magic, the growth of Tiana and Naveen, the music, Naveen is my 2nd favorite Disney Prince- he's so charming. It's a perfect film to me.

2. Brother Bear- In my Top 10 DACs. I recently watched this again, and it just makes me cry. Every. Single. Time. Koda is such a sympathetic character to me, I think he's adorable, I love the bond that grows between Koda & Kenai, I think Rutt & Tuke (& the rams!) are funny, I like all the supporting characters, I love the music, it looks beautiful, I'm engaged in the story...perfect.

3. The Emperor's New Groove- In my Top 10 DACs. It's one of my 4 go-to happy movies, and I'm very grateful for its existence, as much as I'd also love Kingdom of the Sun. So quotable, so funny, but has a lot of heart.

4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire- In my Top 15 or so DACs. I always really enjoy watching it- I'd like to spend more time with the characters, but with a huge cast, what we have is good enough. I like the adventure, the look, the excitement, the humor...

5. Treasure Planet (It was hard choosing TP vs L&S.)- The style, the atmosphere, locations, aliens- it's a pretty unique film, and that definitely adds to the fun of watching it. Morph is one of my favorite sidekicks.

6. Lilo & Stitch- I recently watched this again- it has a lot of heart, it gets me crying towards the end. Lilo & Stitch learn to understand each other, when no one ever has understood them before, and I love that. I love the bonds between the characters, no matter how not perfect they are. The film looks incredible, I'm a big Elvis fan anyway, so the music is nice, & I love how quirky it is.

7. Home on the Range- I love, love, love the soundtrack. I think the movie is pretty funny, Alameda Slim will always be one of my favorite villains, it has heart ("Will the Sun Ever Shine Again"), and I like the bond between the cows (and Buck), I enjoy the adventure, & I like the supporting characters, too. I really like the use of color in the film, too.

8. Bolt- I really like this film. It has a lot of heart, I love the journey Bolt, Mittens, and Rhino go on; I love seeing Bolt learn how to be a dog; Mittens is one of my favorite characters period; I think Rhino is adorable.

9. Meet the Robinsons- I think it has more heart than it's given credit for.

10. Dinosaur- I really like Dinosaur- it's another one where I always enjoy the journey.

11. Chicken Little- Like Cars 2, it's my least favorite (besides package films), but I still enjoy watching it when I do. It does have its cringey moments, though.

12. Fantasia 2000 (I do like it, but both Fantasias & the package films are at the bottom of my favorite DAC lists, just because they're not your average storytelling-type films).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:03 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I've now noticed that I made a mistake. I included Fantasia 2000 here when it should've been in the '90s thread. If any of you had noticed, you should've told me. I know very well it's from 1999, but it wasn't included in the '90s thread and I guess I just continued where it was left off without checking anything. Sorry for that. I'll update my ranking of the films from the 90's with the inclusion of Fantasia 2000.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

ehh, its not even a whole month of difference, I always assumed it was a 2000 movie anyway for obvious reasons. Plus it was still in its theatrical run I believe in the year 2000, it gets an honorary pick as a 2000 movie if you ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yeah, the year 2000 is in its title, so it's logical to think it's from that year. However, though it wasn't released to the general public until the beginning of 2000, it had its premiere in 1999 and that's what counts when it comes to dating films. It's the same case as Snow White, for example, which premiered in 1937, but its wide release wasn't until 1938.

This is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Fantasia 2000 premiered on December 17, 1999 at Carnegie Hall in New York City as part of a concert tour that also visited London, Paris, Tokyo, and Pasadena, California. The film was then released in 75 IMAX theaters worldwide from January 1 to April 30, 2000, marking the first animated feature-length film to be released in the format. Its general release in regular theaters followed on June 16, 2000.

I like that you consider it an honorary 2000 movie, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:52 am 
Platinum Edition

I consider Fantasia 2000 more of a 2000 film as well especially since the film purposefully had its general release right when the new millennium began. I think it was exactly at midnight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:14 am 
Limited Edition

Here is my rank Dinosaur
1. The Emperor's New Groove
2. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
3. Home on the Rang
4. Treasure Planet
5. Lilo & Stitch
6. The Princess and the Frog
7. Chicken Little
8.Meet the Robinsons