Top 3 Animated Classics

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: Top 3 Animated Classics

Post by Atlantica »

I know we have a lot of these lists yes, but we have a whole host of new members, so thought it would work to start fresh.

Interesting to see TLM featuring a lot more here than it has done before ?!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

@ atlanticaunderthesea Everybody loves a dose of Ariel :lol:

Mine are:

1- Aladdin. The Disney film that marked me the most I think. I've loved it since I was a child and even now seeing it with different perspective it's my favorite beyond doubt.

2- Emperor's New Groove. Funny, quick and catchy. I just love how different it is to other Disney films. The fact that it takes place in South America as compared to the usual setting of Europe in Disney films gives it a special distinctive touch (probably another reason why I like Three Caballeros as well)

3- Bambi. Beautiful to look at, and I just love how it avoids most Disney cliches found in their narratives.

4- Anything with Mickey and Friends (obvious :P ) Prince and the Pauper, Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros, the Three Musketeers, Jack and the Beanstalk, a Goofy Movie...Yah the list is endless. My favorite Disney characters, they have enough heart, adventure and comedy; and whom I feel get little to no recognition by the fandom, so I'm sticking with them rather than with oh the princesses. :roll:

Everything else goes by and varies by my mood. I like Cinderella and Alice a bit, I like Pinocchio but it's not a personal favorite, I don't like how Hunchback tries to be so "mature" and then pulls out a happy ending out of its ass, Fantasia bores me, I don't like Tangled at all, Ariel is the one factor I like the most in the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast is good but I wouldn't consider it the "symbol" of Disney...etc etc.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

1) Aladdin. I've loved this movie since I was 10 years old, it was just a beautiful and magical experience. It's my dream to see it one day in the cinema.

2) Beauty and the Beast. Watched this again a few years ago and just adored the elegant style and softness of the movie. Music is so/so but the romance and passion of the movie makes up for it.

3) Cinderella. Just like B & B the movie is a piece of art and the movie helps me personally with my mental depression.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

^^ That's an ABC of films if I've ever seen one ;)

My list:
1. Beauty and the Beast / Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Mulan
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

1. The Little Mermaid - this is actually the very first movie of any kind that I remember seeing in a theater.

2. Dumbo - simplistic yet thought-provoking.

3. Beauty and the Beast - fond childhood memories of watching the VHS every day until it wore out.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Mine is very similar to Dr. Frankenollie's:

1) Dumbo
2) Pinocchio
3) The Many Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh

I also think very highly of the 2 other films he mentioned, and while my preference is clearly for the Walt era, I also think the post-Walt films all the way up to present day have been pretty consistent in quality, heart, and entertainment value. So while my 3 faves are pretty set, it would be REALLY hard for me to narrow the rest down to say, 5 or 10.
Dr Frankenollie wrote: 1). Dumbo
2). Fantasia
3). Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Rather than just do top three, I went for top ten as that provides a wider range of my preferences. But for anyone who wants to be a stickler to the intent of this thread, I bolded the top three as the indication to look just at that and ignore everything else I ramble on about. :P

Truthfully, between 2007 and this year, I've rarely deviated from this list, when I decided to bump out The Black Cauldron in favor of The Sword in the Stone.

01. Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin (1991/2)
02. N/A
03. Peter Pan (1953)

04. Robin Hood (1973)
05. Pocahontas (1995)
06. Meet the Robinsons (2007)
07. Dumbo (1941)
08. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
09. Fantasia (1940)
10. The Sword in the Stone (1963)

Regarding #1, I could never do a Sophie's Choice between them, so they share the top spot. Besides, I always associate the two films together anyway.

After this list of ten, I just do additional groupings of ten films each (11-20, 21-30, etc.), but those groupings stay in chronological order rather than any order of preference. Those would depend on my mood, while the top ten listed above is likely how I'd rank the films in terms of what I enjoy watching most.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Based on the ratings I gave the films within the last 3 years:

1) Pinocchio
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) Fantasia
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Hercules and The Little Mermaid almost made it to the top 3 this time.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

1.Aladdin
2.???? (really cannot decide)
3.One Hundred and One Dalmatians
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:While I love Fantasia, I've never been too fond of Fantasia 2000. It's a lot more comedy-oriented, and I don't think it's anywhere near as imaginative when it comes to designs or animation. Virtually each segment of the original has something great about it, whereas only two segments of the sequel stand out to me: Rhapsody in Blue and The Firebird.
I just can't seem to separate the two, even though they're both pretty different. Fantasia 2000 is certainly more accessible, but it's not nearly as creative and ingenious as Fantasia is. Rhapsody in Blue and the Firebird Suite are definitely my favorites in 2000, but I also really enjoy Pines of Rome and Piano Concerto No. 2 (the one based on The Steadfast Tin Soldier). I love every aspect of Fantasia, but I also quite like Fantasia 2000 even though it's not as good as the original. Again, I can't seem to separate the two films; it "feels" more like a singular film even though it obviously isn't (plus there would be a repeating segment with The Sorcerer's Apprentice).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

All of this really makes me want to redo the UD Animated Classics countdown. I really do believe we have enough new members now to make it viable, and enough new animated films. We could even merge Pixar with it ? Or is that a no go?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:All of this really makes me want to redo the UD Animated Classics countdown. I really do believe we have enough new members now to make it viable, and enough new animated films. We could even merge Pixar with it ? Or is that a no go?
N-O

I had to. :D
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

1. 'The Little Mermaid'. 2. 'Peter Pan'. 3. 'Cinderella'.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

SequelofDisney, I see what you mean about the films being inseparable - I find Make Mine Music and Melody Time inseparable in a similar way, and judge them simultaneously, even though objectively Melody Time is stronger. Yet even though I understand why their similar styles (as well as sharing a segment) make them akin to a single film, whenever I watch them, I react differently. Fantasia 2000 has a different bookend style between the segments, and lacks the intense, overwhelming ambience the original has.

@atlanticaunderthesea: We redid the countdown last year, although I would quite like to do it again. I think my views have changed somewhat, and new members have joined since then. As for Pixar's potential inclusion...I (and I'm sure others) would prefer to have a separate countdown for their feature films, yet I would say that the differences between the likes of Toy Story and Cinderella are just as great as the differences between many of the DACs.
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I've been a member of this website for several years, but I'm not sure if I should answer this question. I haven't seen all of the movies yet, so I'm afraid my answers could be a bit biased...
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:All of this really makes me want to redo the UD Animated Classics countdown. I really do believe we have enough new members now to make it viable, and enough new animated films. We could even merge Pixar with it ? Or is that a no go?
Yes please I think I missed out on it by a couple of weeks. I think I joined when it was just ending or something.

But no please to the Pixar. Pixar should stay Pixar.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Goodness, I know we wanted to, and were attempting to redo the countdown Dr Frankenollie, but didn't know that it had actually happened ! Where was I .... ? :?
pangrizabella

Post by pangrizabella »

1. Oliver & Company- not the 'best' Disney Animated Classic by any stretch of the imagination, but it is without a doubt my favourite. For whatever reason, the energy and mood of the film really just hit just the right spot for me, I cannot watch the film without my mood being lifted. I love the characters as well (some more than others).

2. The Lion King- I love everything about it- the music, the characters, the story. I adore the African flavour that is present in the film.

3. Beauty & the Beast- probably has my favourite soundtrack of any Disney film (though TLK is also a contender). Definitely my favourite Disney romance, Beast is an incredible character.
adamw92
Limited Issue

Post by adamw92 »

1. The Little Mermaid - always has and I think, always will be my favourite Disney Classic, it just has everything, its beautiful, colourful and full of imagination. The songs are in my opinion, the strongest set of songs from any Disney movie.

2. Beauty and the Beast - Like Mermaid, it's just a beautiful movie, full of heart, great songs. Theres not much to say other than that really.

3. Sleeping Beauty - Now this never used to rate this high on my list until the release of the Platinum Edition where I just completely fell in love with the movie.

I don't really like having to narrow it down to just 3, I wanted to show the rest of my top 10, top 20 etc... :lol:

4. The Lion King
5. Aladdin
6. Mulan
7. Cinderella
8. Tangled
9. Pocahontas
10. Hercules

:-D