DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
 Post subject: Re: Gigantic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:41 am 
Platinum Edition

You may not have needed them, but I feel Finding Dory had a great story to tell about Dory finding her family and who she was. It was emotional. The DAC's may be kind of cheapened by the Disney Toon sequels, but I feel you can choose to think of them as either real sequels or not and that they do not drag the originals down. I feel it only drags them down in some people's opinion and not others. It's not like you have to view those sequels (or midquels) as what really happened, you can just view them as "what if" alternate reality films and they have great entertainment as that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Q: How far along did you guys get on Gigantic in terms of writing?

Kristen Anderson-Lopez: I think we wrote five or six songs for it.

Bobby Lopez: And in that, the premise of that film changed a lot over the course of its development. But we have a lot of songs that we love from that one.

Kristen Anderson-Lopez: And we can recycle some of it. We may have recycled one of them already.
Source: https://collider.com/frozen-2-outtake-s ... ten-lopez/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I wonder if one of the Gigantic songs made their way over into Frozen II.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 am 
Special Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:

Me too. Would be very intersting to know !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:

If it were Frozen 2, they would have no problem saying so. I believe it's for their next animated musical with Disney which is rumored to already be in advanced development. I speculate it's going to be either the 2022 or 2023 WDAS film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm 
Platinum Edition

Oh, good, I'm glad they've got another project besides Frozen III to work on.

Maroon 5 ~ "One More Night"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Archer"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:00 am 
Super Genius

I don’t know why, but reading that they recycled a song already from Gigantic makes me immediately think Into the Unknown. Remove the siren, and make it a male vocal and it could’ve easily fit into this movie. I remember the first time I heard it thinking it sounded like it came from another movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

nomad2010 wrote:
I don’t know why, but reading that they recycled a song already from Gigantic makes me immediately think Into the Unknown. Remove the siren, and make it a male vocal and it could’ve easily fit into this movie. I remember the first time I heard it thinking it sounded like it came from another movie.

If that is the case, maybe that's why they got a male group to cover the song for the end-credits.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm 
Super Genius

JeanGreyForever wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:

If that is the case, maybe that's why they got a male group to cover the song for the end-credits.

That’s actually a great point. I could easily see them saying “I wish we could’ve had this in a male vocal, so let’s fulfill that by getting a male to do the end credits version.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Into the Unknown: Jack climbing up the Beanstalk, going into the Unknown! What could of been :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I will say this though that I love Idina Menzel's vocals for the song so I'm glad they ended up repurposing it for Elsa.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm 
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote:
If it were Frozen 2, they would have no problem saying so. I believe it's for their next animated musical with Disney which is rumored to already be in advanced development. I speculate it's going to be either the 2022 or 2023 WDAS film.

They actually can't say so, especially if it's Into the Unknown. Awards for best original song generally are given for songs written especifically for that movie, so if it was composed for another one and then reused, it wouldn't be eligible for the Academy Awards or any other major award. The Climb (from Hannah Montana: The Movie) was nominated for a Grammy, but Disney refused the nomination because it was not composed for the movie, but reused.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:08 am 
Platinum Edition

But if "Into the Unknown" had been for Gigantic, I have trouble believing that, because what was the voice calling to Jack that Jack also sings the same notes of?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 am 
Super Genius

Disney Duster wrote:
But if "Into the Unknown" had been for Gigantic, I have trouble believing that, because what was the voice calling to Jack that Jack also sings the same notes of?

*If* that is the recycled song, it doesn’t mean the entire song is the same as it would have been in Gigantic. It could’ve been without the siren and the duet of sorts. Obviously different lyrics for the verses as well.

rodrigo_ca wrote:
Sotiris wrote:

They actually can't say so, especially if it's Into the Unknown. Awards for best original song generally are given for songs written especifically for that movie, so if it was composed for another one and then reused, it wouldn't be eligible for the Academy Awards or any other major award. The Climb (from Hannah Montana: The Movie) was nominated for a Grammy, but Disney refused the nomination because it was not composed for the movie, but reused.

This is a good point. Unless enough was changed to make it eligible? Or maybe it wasn’t the song. Who knows, it’s pure speculation, but it could’ve been Show Yourself and that’s why it wasn’t put up for any awards consideration when it’s clearly the stronger song out of the two. We’ll find out one day, I’m sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:40 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

nomad2010 wrote:
This is a good point. Unless enough was changed to make it eligible? Or maybe it wasn’t the song. Who knows, it’s pure speculation, but it could’ve been Show Yourself and that’s why it wasn’t put up for any awards consideration when it’s clearly the stronger song out of the two. We’ll find out one day, I’m sure.

I was under the impression they went with Into the Unknown because they had been promoting it longer so it had more name recognition and was more familiar to general viewers unlike Show Yourself which was too spoilery to really promote until it was too late.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

rodrigo_ca wrote:
Sotiris wrote:

True, except that even if Into the Unknown was originally written for Gigantic, the fact is the film never materialised and the Lopezes certainly never published or performed the music written for it. Robert Lopez could have potentially composed Into the Unknown as a highschooler for a completely different project. If it remained unpublished and archived in his studio all that time he has every right to rework it for a different project and present it as ‘original.’ That is only fair.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 am 
Special Edition

You may think so (to be fair, I also think that a great song deserves to be out here instead of locked up) but that's not how the rules go, which is why they wouldn't be able to comment that the song was reused if it was.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 am 
Limited Edition

I think if there's a reused song, it's When I'm Older. Don't know why.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:25 am 
Platinum Edition

nomad2010 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:

*If* that is the recycled song, it doesn’t mean the entire song is the same as it would have been in Gigantic. It could’ve been without the siren and the duet of sorts. Obviously different lyrics for the verses as well.

Yes but the siren call is also the last notes of the chorus, the "UnKNO-o-o-own." And those notes are used in later parts of the song that go with the siren calling again. The other siren call parts, and Elsa calling back, the notes from those go to well with those chorus notes. The song fits in way too well with the siren call.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:09 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

rodrigo_ca wrote:
You may think so (to be fair, I also think that a great song deserves to be out here instead of locked up) but that's not how the rules go, which is why they wouldn't be able to comment that the song was reused if it was.

Well, if that's the way it works with the Academy then that is just dumb! Furthermore, if one wanted to circumvent this rule by submitting an original song which, say ... s/he originally wrote to propose to their childhood sweetheart (in song form) in their youth - which was never used because said sweetheart cheated on the composer - then all they need to do is keep their mouth shut! Nobody knows but them. :P

Yeah, I'd love to know how the Academy enforces this 'rule'. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31