DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gigantic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 am 
Platinum Edition

Nathan Greno goes out drinking and partying with his wife and friends every night. He went to Vegas last week. I think he's going to be fine. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Animated films being in production a long time doesn't really make me blink. How long was Wall-E in development at Pixar? How long did Glen Keane work on Rapunzel/Tangled? Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was greenlit by Sony Animation in 2002 and didn't reach the screens until 2009. Beauty and the Beast was a possible project for Walt Disney since the Snow White days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 am 
Platinum Edition

The opposite can also be said though. The Black Cauldron, Bolt, Brave, The Good Dinosaur, Hotel Transylvania come to mind. But even if the movie's good, you can't assign that to a prolonged production process alone. Sometimes a movie turns out good despite of that and not because of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wrapping thoughts for Gigantic:

1. If they did cast a girl for Imna, that poor child b/c there’s no way she will be cast in the final film. Especially if they're going through so many serious changes.

2. The release date just doesn't make sense. Why can’t they just put Gigantic in that April 2019 spot instead of a DTS film? Is a theatrical release really approiate for the DTS film? Is waiting to release Gigantic until 2020, so Frozen 2 can have the same release date as the first one really that necessary? Is Gigantic really going through THAT difficult of a time, so it needs FOUR more years of pre-production? Again, if it's the last one, they might as well call it quits or at least make it shelved for a while. I'm honestly over this movie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Im so bummed about this, I was really looking forward to this film. There's nothing for me to really look forward to until Frozen 2 in November 2019, thats about a 2 years wait! :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

Aren't the Lopezes doing the music for Gigantic? Maybe they are so hard at work focusing on Frozen 2/other Frozen projects that they don't have time right now to focus much on Gigantic? Obviously there might be serious story issues, etc., but that was the first thought that popped into my head.

And, we don't know what [i]Untitled Disney Animation (3D) coming out on 11/24/21 is. It's a while away, but don't lose hope for more original animated movies!! (not yet, anyway...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't know if it's because of the Lopezes or why, but 2 years is a lot of time. When a movie is postponed is usually for not more than a year. Has Disney delayed a film's release date so much before?
From the general Disney lineup, it was probably the film I was looking forward the most. I'm not very excited about the sequels to Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen. At least not yet. Maybe when we get more details about them, I'll anticipate them more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
IHas Disney delayed a film's release date so much before?

At least with public announcements, Tangled takes the cake, with it being announced (not as Tangled many, many years early):

http://web.archive.org/web/200301110626 ... unzel.html

*In 1998, Chris Curtis (composer of the Chaplin musical) revealed that he was writing songs for a Disney adaptation of Rapunzel. His involvement in the project was confirmed in late September 2001.

*In July 2001, sources at Disney confirmed that Rapunzel was in pre-production, with several top animators including Glen Keane currently working on character concepts. Producer Thomas Schumacher commented during an interview that “there’s another musical fairy tale in the works. Because, you know, every five years or so, you need [laughs] – we’ve only made a handful of fairy tales, actually, but there’s another one that we haven’t announced. It’s a fairy-tale title that you’ll know.”

Title:Sibs' dibs on 'Rapunzel'
Author(s):Dana Harris
Source:Daily Variety. 279.21 (May 6, 2003): p42.
Document Type:Brief article
Full Text:

HOLLYWOOD -- Sibling scribes Adam and Melanie Wilson have been hired to write the animated adaptation of "Rapunzel" for Walt Disney Feature Animation. Pic is intended as an all-CGI production.

The Wilsons also wrote the spec "Evergone," a dramatic fantasy about a boy's journey into the Bermuda Triangle in hopes of finding his long-lost father. Davis Entertainment is packaging the project.

Melanie Wilson is a former unit publicist, while Adam Wilson worked in production at MTV and VH1.

Harris, Dana

Source Citation
Harris, Dana. "Sibs' dibs on 'Rapunzel'." Daily Variety 6 May 2003: 42. General OneFile. Web. 20 May 2012.
Document URL
http://0-go.galegroup.com.library.winth ... =ITOF&sw=w

(I've been working on a Tangled project for a blog I made, so I have a lot of articles lying around.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
From the general Disney lineup, it was probably the film I was looking forward the most. I'm not very excited about the sequels to Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen. At least not yet.

I get that. It's difficult for me to get excited about sequels even to films I enjoyed because they are inherently derivative. We already know who the characters are, the universe they inhabit, and what they look like, so when a new piece of concept art or still gets released, for example, the excitement factor is diminished.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

blackcauldron85 wrote:
D82 wrote:
IHas Disney delayed a film's release date so much before?

At least with public announcements, Tangled takes the cake, with it being announced (not as Tangled many, many years early):

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. I meant if Disney had postponed a film from a previously announced release date to a new one that is so far away as in this case before. But thanks for the info about Tangled. That was a long time in development, at least 12 years according to that article.

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:
From the general Disney lineup, it was probably the film I was looking forward the most. I'm not very excited about the sequels to Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen. At least not yet.

I get that. It's difficult for me to get excited about sequels even to films I enjoyed because they are inherently derivative. We already know who the characters are, the universe they inhabit, and what they look like, so when a new piece of concept art or still gets released, for example, the excitement factor is diminished.

Yes, you've summed it up perfectly. I generally don't get as excited about sequels as I do about original films either for those same reasons. Well, sometimes when you love the characters of a film, you want to see more of them or know what happens next in their lives, but yes, it's not the same level of excitement as discovering something completely new. And apart from that, sequels are rarely as good as the original films. That's also part of why I don't anticipate them as much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:07 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, regarding the news about the delay, I'll think this smiley will sum it up.

:facepalm:

Obviously they're having a lot of trouble with it and that's a pity. However, I agree with those who thought the first outline seemed more intriguing. At least Frozen (for all it's mediocrity and derivation) had a interesting quadrangle (though not as fully used as it could've been).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Well, regarding the news about the delay, I'll think this smiley will sum it up.

:facepalm:

Obviously they're having a lot of trouble with it and that's a pity. However, I agree with those who thought the first outline seemed more intriguing. At least Frozen (for all it's mediocrity and derivation) had a interesting quadrangle (though not as fully used as it could've been).

Gigantic is now the poster child for an original IP that didn't get finished because of multiple circumstances:

1- They once again decided to change the plot line & won't abandon the film cause to much time/$$$ has gone into it. Not to mention they have nothing else original in the pipeline.

2- The overall Box Office gross/impact of Moana. With only $640million worldwide & merchandise that is not a hot seller, they decided to delay Gigantic to make changes. I believe more was expected from Moana especially as Frozen's follow-up from Studio Executives. The fact that Moana made less than Big Hero 6 worldwide was not acceptable, also it's merchandise was not on par with Frozen/Tangled. That's enough for them to stop Gigantic's production in it's tracks for changes.

3- The slew of Sequels & the rise of Disney live-action fairy-tale. Sequels are ALL the rage right now, plus they are guaranteed to bring in huge $$$ "Alice 2 not withstanding". It's much easier to release sequels to WiR/Frozen than to continue to stress over an unproven IP like Gigantic. Also, live-action fairy-tale are ALL the hype now, with Disney announcing one after another after another after another! So with that, what's even the point for Gigantic or anything new?

4- Gigantic had no hype. When it was officially announced at D23 2015 "Giants not withstanding since that info was leaked & not officially announced by Disney", with multiple concept art images/even a song by the Lopez couple, nobody really cared. Most had no clue about this film or that it was even coming. I first realized this when people on Twitter were asking about the "Bootleg Movies" scene from Zootopia, what is the Giraffic movie from? That right there was enough for the studio to just move on to other things.

As you can see, I believe ALL those things above caused Gigantic's demise, some more so than others, but it just wasn't one thing. Everything was working against it & no one had it's back :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyEra wrote:
Gigantic had no hype. When it was officially announced at D23 2015, with multiple concept art images/even a song by the Lopez couple, nobody really cared.

It didn't have much buzz because the version they presented wasn't that interesting. Even the song the Lopezes premiered was not well liked by the attendees. It was a kiddie song that worked as filler. Didn't they have a better one ready to show? When they previewed Frozen, they showcased "Let It Go". Big difference in terms of first impressions.

They need to make this movie into an epic, dramatic, riveting musical with high stakes. Right now, the version with the child giant is lighthearted and juvenile and can't get people that excited. I really hope the entire conceit will be rethought and the movie retooled from the ground up 'cause its current iteration doesn't quite cut it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:35 pm 
Limited Edition

And what even made Disney change the original pitch from the four protagonists into this Rugrats rip-off? Girls weren't interested in its merchandise? i mean, if they changed the setting from Italy to Spain is one thing, but the characters and stories could still work. I just don't see to whom it would appeal this "little girl plays with dolls" storyline.

Heck the 70s anime of Jack and the Beanstalk seems more riveting than this.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

Last edited by thedisneyspirit on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
As silly as it is to say, I feel the opposite, mostly because they've abandoned hand-drawn animation. I was fine with only original films then, because even a bad movie would be (usually) visually appealing to me at the very least. But with CGI and Lasseter’s complete take-over of Disney animation, I’d rather just see sequels of the very few films I feel anything for at all. And it's probably another reason I don’t mind the live action re-makes as much as other people: I have very little expectation for Disney’s original product these days.

Reba McEntire ~ "Sing It Now"
Reba McEntire ~ "Hallelujah, Amen"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm 
Platinum Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
And what even made Disney change the original pitch from the four protagonists into this Rugrats rip-off? Girls weren't interested in its merchandise? I mean, if they changed the setting from Italy to Spain is one thing, but the characters and stories could still work. I just don't see to whom it would appeal this "little girl plays with dolls" storyline.

Exactly. The original pitch, while far from perfect, had a lot of potential. I'm sure if they kept working at it, it would become much more compelling than the version we currently have.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I have very little expectation for Disney’s original product these days.

I feel the same but that's because every movie under the Lasseter regime is essentially the same. So, while it might be "original", it's really not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:
Gigantic had no hype. When it was officially announced at D23 2015, with multiple concept art images/even a song by the Lopez couple, nobody really cared.

It didn't have much buzz because the version they presented wasn't that interesting. Even the song the Lopezes premiered was not well liked by the attendees. It was a kiddie song that worked as filler. Didn't they have a better one ready to show? When they previewed Frozen, they showcased "Let It Go". Big difference in terms of first impressions.

They need to make this movie into an epic, dramatic, riveting musical with high stakes. Right now, the version with the child giant is lighthearted and juvenile and can't get people that excited. I really hope the entire conceit will be rethought and the movie retooled from the ground up 'cause its current iteration doesn't quite cut it.

I have to agree with what you said. I mean just look at this video from D23 2015 when Gigantic was first raveled to the public on the showcase floor. Do you hear any cheers/excitement? Nope. Just a few scattered applause. It almost seemed like the crowd there were disappointed with what they saw. Not a good sign for your future original IP. Paul Briggs voiceover as a giant didn't help either :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
And it's probably another reason I don’t mind the live action re-makes as much as other people: I have very little expectation for Disney’s original product these days.

And the irony is that these live action remakes have proved to be more enchanting, compelling and satisfying than WDFA's original releases. They have a certain degree of the old fashioned Disney magic. Though of course these remakes were stuck with a bad stigma and were labeled as blaspheme initially, but they've now redeemed themselves (for a good reason).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quick thought:

What if they separated Gigantic and Wreck-It Ralph 2, as a result of Zootopia doing miles better than Moana with two movies in one year?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am 
Platinum Edition

Detail from the previously-released concept art by Paul Felix. This gives us a clearer look of Jack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next