DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gigantic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:08 am 
Special Edition

He is known as Jack in spanish-speaking countries as well. In older versions, as Juanito. But Jack is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

rodrigo_ca wrote:
He is known as Jack in spanish-speaking countries as well.

Yes, but he’s English in the fairytale and then it’s correct to call him Jack in other countries as well. In fact, in that case it’s even better calling him like in the original than translating his name, at least in my opinion. And I like the name Jack more than Jacobo, for example. The problem is that Gigantic takes place in Spain, and Jack is not a Spanish name. I think it was even prohibited to have foreign names in Spain in that time. They may still change it, but if he ends up being called Jack, I hope they give an explanation to why he’s called that way. Maybe he has English origins or it’s a nickname they gave him for something and not his real name.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:50 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Since this is set during the Age of Exploration, maybe Jack is English but given an assignment by the Spanish (sorta like Columbus). I actually would like if this film was a sequel to the original Jack and the Beanstalk story. Everything in that story already happened and now Jack is an adult who has developed a passion from exploring after his adventure with the giant from the original story. The gold and artifacts he collected from the giant can help fund his passion. Somehow in Spain he ends up finding another beanstalk and realizing that what he found the first time wasn't an isolated incident but there is in fact a whole kingdom of giants in the sky. This way, the original story remains intact, while Disney still gets to spin it off in a new way.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:30 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I like your idea for the film, JeanGreyForever! It would solve all the main issues I have with this adaptation. It would explain the name of the main character, why he’s older in this version, and it being a sequel would help separate it from the other version of the fairytale Disney has. I also like how it incorporates the exploration theme. Unfortunately, I don’t think Disney would do something similar to this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:38 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
I like your idea for the film, JeanGreyForever! It would solve all the main issues I have with this adaptation. It would explain the name of the main character, why he’s older in this version, and it being a sequel would help separate it from the other version of the fairytale Disney has. I also like how it incorporates the exploration theme. Unfortunately, I don’t think Disney would do something similar to this.

I'm glad to hear that. I agree, Disney would never do this. As Frozen showed, they're quite irreverent about the original source material for their films. Maybe though they'll leave enough of his backstory in the movie blank for us to fill in the blanks the way we want to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:38 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I agree, Disney would never do this. As Frozen showed, they're quite irreverent about the original source material for their films.

In case we didn't pick that up back in the '60s with TJB or the '90s with TLM/Hercules/Pocahontas/Hunchback. :lol:

Reba McEntire ~ "Sing It Now"
Reba McEntire ~ "Hallelujah, Amen"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:02 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I agree, Disney would never do this. As Frozen showed, they're quite irreverent about the original source material for their films.

In case we didn't pick that up back in the '60s with TJB or the '90s with TLM/Hercules/Pocahontas/Hunchback. :lol:

Lolz the Jungle Book actually isn't that different. It holds a lot of similar sequences to the first Jungle Book and I think even a scene or two from the second. The tone is the major change here as well as the exclusion of all non-Mowgli stories.

The Little Mermaid is pretty similar as well save for the ending and that was probably done for the better. Pocahontas was an adaptation of her legendary love story, not her actual story. Hunchback has had so many different versions (opera, ballet, musical, films), some penned by Victor Hugo themselves, and a lot of these versions are pretty similar to the Disney one. Hercules has no excuse and there's a reason's its my least favorite Disney Renaissance film.

Even Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, both which are quite different from the original fairy tales, especially compared to some of their earlier film drafts, end up being somewhat faithful because of how similar they are to film adaptations (Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and The Thief of Baghdad). I like when films use multiple source materials to develop a story, unlike Frozen which I'm just picking on because it literally has nothing to do with the original story. I still love Frozen, especially compared to Tangled which I consider an abominable Rapunzel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
Platinum Edition

Well, we'll just have to disagree there. Because, like all those other films listed, the Disney film departs pretty heavily from the plot, but mostly holds onto the tone, just replace Gerda with Anna and Kay with Elsa. Well, except for TJB, which is disimilar in both plot and tone. This just feels like arbitrarily choosing which one you're going to be offended by.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Well, we'll just have to disagree there. Because, like all those other films listed, the Disney film departs pretty heavily from the plot, but mostly holds onto the tone, just replace Gerda with Anna and Kay with Elsa. Well, except for TJB, which is disimilar in both plot and tone. This just feels like arbitrarily choosing which one you're going to be offended by.

Sounds like you're getting offended now lol. And Frozen is nothing like The Snow Queen in tone. I'm not even sure how you could think that. Gerda and Kai are entirely different characters than Anna and Elsa and replacing them would drastically alter the story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:02 am 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I'm not even sure how you could think that.

I'm not surprised, since you talk in definites when you're really just giving an opinion. Frozen is no different in tone than "The Snow Queen," imo. If you feel it isn't, have fun with that, but I've read the story just like you have. Regardless, it doesn't change the original point which is that Frozen is not the first Disney film to have strayed entirely from the source material. And I honestly find it ridiculous anyone would argue that point. Stay pressed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:13 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
I'm not even sure how you could think that.

I'm not surprised, since you talk in definites when you're really just giving an opinion. Frozen is no different in tone than "The Snow Queen," imo. If you feel it isn't, have fun with that, but I've read the story just like you have. Regardless, it doesn't change the original point which is that Frozen is not the first Disney film to have strayed entirely from the source material. And I honestly find it ridiculous anyone would argue that point. Stay pressed.

I was using Frozen as an example because it is the most recent example and most of the people on this thread anyway are familiar with fairytales unlike how different The Fox and the Hound book is to the movie. At honestly, most Disney adaptations differ, yes that's true, but they still hold vestiges of the original film. Frozen really is the most drastic example because if you look at it, what exactly is still in common? A reindeer (which has a completely different owner and name in the original story) and trolls who are also completely different. The troll in the fairytale is evil and typically a devil, not a troll, while the Frozen ones are more based off of Scandinavian culture and folklore than the one troll/devil briefly mentioned in the story. Even the "snow queen" character is never even called the snow queen in the film or the title. The fairy tale version is more a neutral entity rather than a person and even their powers function completely differently. The fairy tale Snow Queen had snow bees for example while Elsa involves more creating constructs of ice and freezing hearts. The filmmakers said Hans is supposed to represent the mirror, which honestly sounds more like something they came up with on the fly. I'm not sure if that fits in with the canon of the Frozen Heart book or any future Frozen sequel that may or may not redeem Hans as the fans want.

As for tone, I don't see much similarities here either. The closest is this platonic sibling type of love, but Kai and Gerda have a much healthier relationship than Anna and Elsa and the way it plays out is completely different. The Snow Queen always felt to me more like a very somber story that is ultimately about hope and faithfulness as well as childhood innocence, none of which I see in Frozen. Maybe the childhood innocence that comes out in the form of Olaf, but that's not really developed too much besides a few passing mentions. I suppose we should just agree to disagree on this subject as well. You're right, I shouldn't have spoken in absolutes (although you tend to start off with those first), so you're perfectly entitled to see similarities between Frozen and The Snow Queen. I just don't really understand how, but that's likely an issue on my end then lol.

BTW just to clarify, I actually do like Frozen and it's one of my fav films from the Revival so far. I just think it has a few flaws which could have been ironed out. That and I still wish we would have seen a faithful adaptation of The Snow Queen. I'm hoping Disney decides one day to continue to build the Frozen franchise by creating a prequel film to Frozen which is about The Snow Queen. Maybe Anna and Elsa's parents could be the prince and princess in the story while Bae is connected to Sven somehow while the Snow Queen's magic somehow rubs off on the princess who will one day birth Elsa. Gerda and Kai could still be Sami since I know a lot of people felt Kristoff was a wasted portrayal of that culture. Maybe Kristoff could have come from the same village. I think Disney has a great opportunity here to do the story justice while still tying it to their cash-cow Frozen. It doesn't even have romantic love so it fits perfect for Frozen fans: Kai and Gerda could be made into siblings to fit the sibling theme. At least surrogate siblings if not full-blooded siblings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:28 pm 
Platinum Edition

Oh, no biggie. I’m sorry for being too sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

The movie's getting a female co-director à la Frozen.

'Inside Out' Writer Meg LeFauve Becomes Director on Disney Animation's 'Gigantic' (Exclusive)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... uve-934290

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:03 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Good for her! I guess there were problems with the movie after all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

And women directors are a good thing in my opinion. Anything to avoid getting another buddy comedy with a surprise villain.... but that's probably asking too much at this point...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:49 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ I agree. Plus, Inside Out was one of Pixar's best. Maybe she'll bring good things to Gigantic, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Knew this was eventually going to happen. Any news for Gigantic is good news. Since 2000 every single WDAS has had Co-Directors excluding Mark Dindal "The Emperor's New Groove & Chicken Little", Steven J. Anderson "Meet the Robinsons" & Rich Moore "Wreck-It Ralph".

Attachments:
Ct3Vr4NVmIAAof56.jpg
Ct3Vr4NVmIAAof56.jpg [ 123.63 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sound like the changes on the story during the extension are changing the music too.

Quote:
As for Disney’s animated adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, which will follow Jack as he encounters a child giantess living in the clouds, Lopez promises a very different tone than that of Frozen. “Frozen was darker than what Gigantic is going to be,” she says, while still promising epic moments. “But each project is like a child. You have to let it unfold and meet it where it needs to be. We’re in the middle of forming it right now.”

While they’re still figuring out what Gigantic will ultimately sound like, one thing is for sure: They’re not trying to write another “Let It Go.” “We’d go nuts if we tried to write that for every project,” Lopez says. “But you just don’t know. We didn’t know we had ‘Let It Go’ when we wrote ‘Let It Go.’”

http://www.etonline.com/features/204513 ... _broadway/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:51 am 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Lopez promises a very different tone than that of Frozen. “Frozen was darker than what Gigantic is going to be,” she says, while still promising epic moments.
Source: http://www.etonline.com/features/204513 ... _broadway/

This worries me. I'm hoping the songs won't be silly and inconsequential. The song previewed at D23 was horrible and I was kind of expecting they'd go with a different direction with the music now that the story is being reworked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:24 am 
Platinum Edition

I agree with you JeanGreyForever on The Little Mermaid and The Jungle Book not straying near as much from their original source material as Tangled or Frozen.

Sotiris, do you know where I can hear the D23 song?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next