Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants

Post by Sotiris »

Warm Regards wrote:So I guess Giants will be a loose adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk. Or an original story.
I would prefer if it were an original story and not a modern retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow, I guess when they cancelled J&TB in 2010 or 2011, it was because of a new director?

Anyway, I am SUPER SUPER pumped for this. But, GIANTS? REALLY?! :x Even with a boy fairytale, they're chicken to call it by its real name.

BTW:

Here's my predictions/dream cast for this:
http://eponinevonschweetz.tumblr.com/po ... dway-nerds
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Wow, I guess when they cancelled J&TB in 2010 or 2011, it was because of a new director?

Anyway, I am SUPER SUPER pumped for this. But, GIANTS? REALLY?! :x Even with a boy fairytale, they're chicken to call it by its real name.

BTW:

Here's my predictions/dream cast for this:
http://eponinevonschweetz.tumblr.com/po ... dway-nerds
This could be the last fairy-tale based film this decade! Tangled/Frozen/Giants.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Untitled Nathan Greno Film

Post by Super Aurora »

Sotiris wrote:
Honor Hunter wrote:Then Nathan Greno's new twist on fairy tales entitled "Giants" which will show you how much his influence on "Tangled" truly was ends out 2016.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/07/cl ... ahead.html
A movie about a Football team and a baseball team having a raging war at each other?. That sounds cool.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What do they mean by saying it will show 'how much his influence on Tangled' was ??
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Wow, I guess when they cancelled J&TB in 2010 or 2011, it was because of a new director?

We don't know that it's a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. I'd actually be surprised if it was. That's been rehashed dozens of times, including a few by Disney themselves. Even if it was, as much I dislike the titles Tangled/Frozen, I can't say that a movie called "Jack and the Beanstalk" would be all that exciting to people. It's one of the most well known and overdone fairy tales there is. I can't see Disney making a movie called "Little Red Riding Hood" for the same reason.

I'd bet on a more original story with fairy tale elements, specifically giants. I think I prefer Disney being original anyway, especially since they've shied away from adapting more adult literature/history.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Lady Cluck wrote:It's one of the most well known and overdone fairy tales there is. I can't see Disney making a movie called "Little Red Riding Hood" for the same reason.
I agree. I've always felt that Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk are so overdone, and looked on as even more simple than other tales, that it'd be hard to imagine them making a serious film version of those stories. I think Cinderella falls in the same category though, and that film is pretty well-liked by viewers anyway.
I'd bet on a more original story with fairy tale elements, specifically giants. I think I prefer Disney being original anyway, especially since they've shied away from adapting more adult literature/history.
I find that to be a strange outlook considering Disney has always adapted books/stories for their films, even if they’re mangled. If I wanted to see original animated films, I could just watch Pixar or Dreamworks. I’d say animated adaptations are more unique these days.

But part of me agrees with you that I’d rather see original stories from Disney now, if all they’re going to do is take a tale and change it so that it's as much like Tangled as possible.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Oh don't get me wrong. I wouldn't love Disney if I didn't love adaptations. I've always loved to see their take on things, and that plus their amazing music is why I'll always prefer them to other studios.

However, I just don't see the need to adapt every fairy tale out there in to a full length film, especially one as cliche as Jack and the Beanstalk. I'd just like to see more Disney adaptations of classic literature (ie Hunchback) and history/legend/folklore (ie Pocahontas/Mulan) mixed in with the fairy tales and original concepts. I know that those are far from their most beloved films and there's always more pressure to "get it right" when tackling those subjects, but when it pays off I feel like it's more interesting than a fairy tale everyone knows.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:What do they mean by saying it will show 'how much his influence on Tangled' was ??
That it's either going to be a fairy tale or set in a fairy tale universe.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

In this story, these names are abbreviations of Feebus, Fifen, Fogel and Fobert, a family of giants at the heart of the tale. There’s another brother too, Faustus, their leader. Like all good villains, he’s got a relatable point of view, he’s just not quite joining the dots correctly.
Boy, Disney seems to be on a roll with these sympathetic villains.
Also like Singer’s film, we see the introduction of a love interest from a class above Jack. In this case, Angelina isn’t royalty, but just from a merchant family, though her parents do see him as being “below” her.

The real money is manifest in Marco, born to nobility and the third corner of a love triangle with Jack and Angelina. He’s a good guy, though, and the only reason he and Jack can’t be fast friends from the off is that they’re both drawn to Angelina. And, yes, he’s called Marco because, like Polo, he wants to travel – and to open up trade routes.

The fourth human lead is Inma, a scrappy tomboy type – and something of a class warrior, I understand. She’s the one I’m rooting for in this story, the tireless fighter against injustice, taken less seriously because she happens to be a pre-teen girl. Of course, there is that story about David and Goliath…
And there's a love triangle...

Like Frozen? :P

Marco better not be a prince and marry Angelina. Disney Princess overload. :glare:
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:up:

I jazzflower92 approve of this movie.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Also, fun fact: Angelina is the Italian feminine form of "angel."

And Marco Polo was a famous Italian explorer.

Any importance? Probably not.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so set in Italy? or maybe Spain? I hope Spain. I loved the Spain scenes in Road to El Dorado. :)

ps- my first post here, hi. :wave:
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

unprincess wrote:so set in Italy? or maybe Spain? I hope Spain. I loved the Spain scenes in Road to El Dorado. :)

ps- my first post here, hi. :wave:
Well, I would love another film set in Italy. I think Pinocchio was the last one.

Welcome to DVDizzy. I hope you enjoy our speculations. :lol:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^thanks! and Ive been enjoying the discussions & crazyness for a while(long time lurker here) :)
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

unprincess wrote:^thanks! and Ive been enjoying the discussions & crazyness for a while(long time lurker here) :)
Yeah, come because you are a Disney fan stay because the discussions are just funny at times. :lol:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I hear there are some passionate people round these parts...
:milkbuds:
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Hi unprincess! :) I'm not of royal birth either.

Personally, I'm far happier with WDAS doing fairy tale films to keep the money rolling in, than resorting to endless sequels. After all, Tangled, Frozen and Giants will only share a film genre, and not their story and characters.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm reproducing the article here just in case Disney forces them to take it down.
We'll start, though, with some exclusive info on a film that Disney have yet to announce. It’s called Giants and it will be to Jack and the Beanstalk as Tangled was to Rapunzel and Frozen is to The Snow Queen. Animated films have very long development times, and sometimes they go a long way into that process before going no further. Perhaps the most famous example of this would be Pixar’s Newt, and it happened with Disney, most recently, with King of the Elves. It’s possible that a similar fate might befall Giants. The film hasn't been officially announced, and it could disappear from the schedule even after it is.

But for now, work on the film continues, and I understand that director Nathan Greno has had a couple of table reads and is getting the basic shape of the film into good order. I think this one’s going to go all the way. The look of this film – at least for now – is very much in the Tangled and Frozen vein, and the plan is to realise the film with the same sort of CG processes and styling – though I'm sure it will be pushed even further to allow for better textures, more expressive animation, advances in the tech all round. That’s what happens at Disney, film by film. Interestingly, after Frozen is out at the end of this year, most of Disney’s other upcoming pictures will be going for some rather distinctive aesthetics. By the time Giants comes along, some years from now, it may feel like a nice return to a more classic look. Also, a few years from now, we’ll be some distance away from Bryan Singer’s Jack the Giant Slayer, a film with which Giants shares more than a few specifics.

For one thing, they both have a hero called Jack, and Giants named for the Fee Fi Fo Fum rhymes. In this story, these names are abbreviations of Feebus, Fifen, Fogel and Fobert, a family of giants at the heart of the tale. There’s another brother too, Faustus, their leader. Like all good villains, he’s got a relatable point of view, he’s just not quite joining the dots correctly. Also like Singer’s film, we see the introduction of a love interest from a class above Jack. In this case, Angelina isn't royalty, but just from a merchant family, though her parents do see him as being “below” her. The real money is manifest in Marco, born to nobility and the third corner of a love triangle with Jack and Angelina. He’s a good guy, though, and the only reason he and Jack can’t be fast friends from the off is that they're both drawn to Angelina. And, yes, he’s called Marco because, like Polo, he wants to travel – and to open up trade routes. The fourth human lead is Inma, a scrappy tomboy type – and something of a class warrior, I understand. She’s the one I'm rooting for in this story, the tireless fighter against injustice, taken less seriously because she happens to be a pre-teen girl. Of course, there is that story about David and Goliath.

But, okay, it’s not the humans that get the title billing here. It’s the giants. The Storm Giants. Huge, thunderous figures. In this story, the Storm Giants have made a pact with the humans. If the humans work for them and give them a percentage of their harvest and livestock, they’ll return the favour by keeping danger and threats at bay. At first, it must have been appealing to have a Giant agree to fight your corner, but the people aren't getting enough for themselves now. Faustus’ name is seeming to be a touch ironic. And this is where we find ourselves at the beginning. As you might expect, there’s then a journey up to where the Giants live and some terrible conflict between the humans and the Storm Giants. There’s a lot of sneaking about and gruesome recipes and all that good stuff you’re used to from fairy tales about ogres and their ilk. But what you may not expect is how Jack ends up befriending one of the Storm Giants – and this is what sews the beans, if you will, for the adventure, and the big changes it brings about.

We're a long way out from seeing what Greno and his collaborators at Disney manage to make of this story, but they're lining the pieces very nicely. I think their intentions are pretty much in step with the way Tangled and Frozen turned out, if a bit more boy-centric. We're still on the wrong side of the voice casting process and there’s literally tons of development artwork yet to be done, so while I might think I know what the giants will look like, but there’s every chance they’ll be completely redesigned.
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/21/ ... ie-giants/