Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Gigantic

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Yeah, it doesn't seem worth getting excited over a 6 month delay, especially if it really is running into problems or they decided to shift gears and re-work the project a bit. For all we know, they put WIR2 in that slot because there was a need to delay Gigantic.

I actually like the Holiday release dates for the the fairy-tale/musical films, so this works. Fantasy-based family films just seem to be a good fit for that season.

As for the sequel issue, it definitely is sad to think that the studio that his come this far with barely any sequels will seemingly be sequelizing everything, but I'm not worried about WIR2 all too much as it is the WDAS film that I think has the most sequel potential, along with Zootopia. (I'd say BH6 as well, purely because it is superhero-based, but the original film being so bland doesn't really make me clamor for one.)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote: WDAS never had a clear plan pre Tangled's release. After Rupunzel, according to the LA Times they cancelled The Snow Queen & Jack & The Beanstalk. After Tangled became the studio's biggest hit in over a decade, they've just been doing everything on the fly, one feature at a time. Resurrecting The Snow Queen as Frozen, Big Hero 6 thanks to the company's accusation of Marvel & the shocking Box Office run of Zootopia. And it was only a matter of time before the executives green-lit sequels. I mean look at this year so far: Kung-Fu Panda 3, over $510million worldwide. Finding Dory, will easily fly past a billion. And we still have Ice Age 5 next month. 2017. Lego Batman Movie, The Nut Job 2, Cars 3 & Despicable Me 3. I'm just sick Gigantic had to be the victim of the Sequelitis.
What if the film needs the extra time to get it to where it needs to be quality-wise?

For all anyone knows there have been some problems and Gigantic is a few months behind schedule. In which case the delay would be necessary and should be worth the extra time. It hasn't been cancelled altogether in favour of a sequel, it's just been moved a few months back on the release slate; Disney moving their release schedule around is nothing new after all.
It just sucks to find out about Gigantic's issues & delay this way. I never knew the film was having problems til yesterday. Didn't think they would kick it away for a sequel. I asked Steve Hulett from Animation Guild last February about Gigantic's progress, he relied it was "still in pre-production" but no mention of problems. Then again, I asked him again about Gigantic's progress earlier this month & I got no reply. So maybe that should of told me something.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

They should hang a big picture of this over Nathan Greno's work space at WDAS. Yeah, you blew it big time :x
Attachments
tumblr_o9lf2lWPPr1sa3t1go1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o9lf2lWPPr1sa3t1go1_1280.jpg (222.75 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyEra wrote:They should hang a big picture of this over Nathan Greno's work space at WDAS. Yeah, you blew it big time :x
What has he blown?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:They should hang a big picture of this over Nathan Greno's work space at WDAS. Yeah, you blew it big time :x
What has he blown?
His original feature Gigantic, getting kicked back 9+ months for a WiR sequel. Having Slashfilm announce that Gigantic was having story problems & could be delayed instead of the studio announcing this earlier in a respectful way. Not a good day for him & the Gigantic crew, just really embarrassing. And from what I've read online, nobody really even cares. They just want more sequels.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Must just be a difference in pereption but I don't see what he or anyone else working on Gigantic have to be embarrassed about. The film got pushed back on the release schedule, it happens to lots of films at pretty much every studio. It hasn't been cancelled and if there are story problems then Greno and his team have got some extra time to worth through them and make the film as good as it needs to be.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I heard the Gigantic crew had to clean up the WiR 2 announcement party mess. Gives them something to do considering they're gonna have a lot of free time on their hands.
Attachments
tumblr_o9letk4uz01ql2c2ho1_500.jpg
tumblr_o9letk4uz01ql2c2ho1_500.jpg (98.51 KiB) Viewed 6482 times
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Whoa. Okay, I get that you are disappointed. But, please calm down. You are entering TsWade and 2DToonDisney4Ever category. Honestly, it makes more sense Gigantic is coming out in Thanksgiving 2018. Their musicals are always at this time. Please just relax.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Whoa. Okay, I get that you are disappointed. But, please calm down. You are entering TsWade and 2DToonDisney4Ever category. Honestly, it makes more sense Gigantic is coming out in Thanksgiving 2018. Their musicals are always at this time. Please just relax.
No I'll be done by tomorrow, it is what it is, nothing you can do but just wait longer. Just wish I knew about this earlier, sucks to find out this way. At least it's not cancelled but a 9+month delay is painful. Thank goodness we still got Moana, so it's not all bad.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Or maybe, I have a crazy idea, Gigantic is now coming out in November because Disney has had a lot of success lately with their animated musicals in that month. Tangled and Frozen were huge successes and I follow expect Moana to follow suit.

And even if there are story problems (something, which let's be honest, we have no concrete evidence of), Frozen also had a lot of story issues until the decision was made to change Elsa from a villain to a sympathetic good character and to bring Jennifer Lee on board as director. Ditto Zootopia when it was focused on predators wearing shock collars and Nick was the central character.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

^I was literally going to post that. It could be because they want to follow tradition with Moana and Tangled.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So I keep reading this in the Moana thread, that Gigantic is going to take place in Spain.

Did I miss something, because (quickly skimming) the posts here there doesn't really seem much to support that Spain is the environment.

I do have confidence that the first "version" was going to take place in Italy though. Mostly because two of the characters (Angelina and Irma) had Italian sounding names, and one was an explorer named Marco.

But yeah, now this newer version is taking place in Spain?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Warm Regards wrote:So I keep reading this in the Moana thread, that Gigantic is going to take place in Spain.

Did I miss something, because (quickly skimming) the posts here there doesn't really seem much to support that Spain is the environment.

I do have confidence that the first "version" was going to take place in Italy though. Mostly because two of the characters (Angelina and Irma) had Italian sounding names, and one was an explorer named Marco.

It's always been set in Spain since Gigantic was "officially" announced by WDAS at D23 August 2015. Here are some articles with more info:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/14/gi ... nstalk-d23

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jack- ... 201570664/

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/disne ... 17698.html
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Warm Regards wrote:So I keep reading this in the Moana thread, that Gigantic is going to take place in Spain.

The first version you're talking about, Giants, could very well have been set in Italy. I read somewhere that they were deciding between a few countries inclding Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Holland so the original version could have been Italy and they could have changed it to Spain when they changed the story to Gigantic.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

JeanGreyForever wrote:

The first version you're talking about, Giants, could very well have been set in Italy. I read somewhere that they were deciding between a few countries inclding Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Holland so the original version could have been Italy and they could have changed it to Spain when they changed the story to Gigantic.
That's actually news to me.

Incidentally all of those countries listed have coastal cities. Which means that the idea of one of the main cast (Jack himself?) being a nautical explorer or trader is still feasible.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Warm Regards wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: The first version you're talking about, Giants, could very well have been set in Italy. I read somewhere that they were deciding between a few countries inclding Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Holland so the original version could have been Italy and they could have changed it to Spain when they changed the story to Gigantic.
That's actually news to me.

Incidentally all of those countries listed have coastal cities. Which means that the idea of one of the main cast (Jack himself?) being a nautical explorer or trader is still feasible.
My only complaint is the name Jack. It really doesn't work for any of those countries. Jack is one of the most universal names so every country has its own version of it. They should have just changed it to Juan or something. It's not like there is much else connecting it to the original Jack and the Beanstalk story anyway. I don't mind these fairy tale revisionist tales so much when they're completely separate from the original fairy tale like Frozen and the Snow Queen, unlike Rapunzel and Tangled.
ImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Auditions for Imna are already underway

https://vimeo.com/154099624
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I guess Jack has to stay Jack, because his name was in the title of the fairytale.

Though if the movie is Spain-based, they could get away with naming him "Jacobo" or "Joaquín".
disneyprincess11 wrote:Auditions for Imna are already underway

She sounds a lot like Sweetie Belle from MLP to me.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:My only complaint is the name Jack. It really doesn't work for any of those countries. Jack is one of the most universal names so every country has its own version of it. They should have just changed it to Juan or something. It's not like there is much else connecting it to the original Jack and the Beanstalk story anyway. I don't mind these fairy tale revisionist tales so much when they're completely separate from the original fairy tale like Frozen and the Snow Queen, unlike Rapunzel and Tangled.
I also think they shouldn't call him Jack if he's supposed to be Spanish. It's the same as if in Moana they had named the main character Mary, for example. Nowadays, there are people who give their children foreign names, but back then it was something very strange. In Spain, he's called Juan in many translations of the fairytale. That would be the best choice in my opinion.

Warm Regards wrote:Though if the movie is Spain-based, they could get away with naming him "Jacobo" or "Joaquín".
These would be good options too, because they sound similar to Jack.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Warm Regards wrote:I guess Jack has to stay Jack, because his name was in the title of the fairytale.

Though if the movie is Spain-based, they could get away with naming him "Jacobo" or "Joaquín".
disneyprincess11 wrote:Auditions for Imna are already underway

She sounds a lot like Sweetie Belle from MLP to me.
It barely has any connection to Jack and the Beanstalk beyond the beanstalk leading to a realm of giants. One step above Frozen in terms of fairy tale authenticity, and still way below Tangled which is saying something.
ImageImage