Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants

Post by Musical Master »

Since Giants will be the Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, I wonder how long it will take for a Little Red Riding Hood adaptation to be in the works.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Musical Master wrote:Since Giants will be the Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, I wonder how long it will take for a Little Red Riding Hood adaptation to be in the works.
Except there's already a Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk in the animated features canon...

...and chances are, I'll most likely be spending my time still watching that one instead.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Red Riding Hood is the one fairy tale left that Disney really needs to tackle...I think they've avoided it b/c its been swallowed up by goth cliches these last couple decades(as well as another studio already did a crappy Shrek-ish CGI take) but what better reason for Disney to give it its own interpretation!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Musical Master wrote:Since Giants will be the Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, I wonder how long it will take for a Little Red Riding Hood adaptation to be in the works.
I rather want Rumplestilken than LRRH
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Except there's already a Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk in the animated features canon...
Remember that Walt adapted "Cinderella" in a short prior releasing the full-length animated feature.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

To quote Meg from Hercules, "Let's see. What could be behind curtain number one four?"
maxxie03

Post by maxxie03 »

Sotiris wrote:Bobby Pontillas worked on Giants as a character designer.
In character design, Bobby was lucky to be apart of Disney’s Talent Development Program, and got to design on Giants and Moana.
Source: http://motivarti.org/mentorship-program ... pontillas/
I actually got to see some of his work on the project. I don't know if it was from an early version of the movie or not, and if I can talk about the designs here, but it looked really great!

There were a few designs of Jack, who looked in his early 20s and reminded me a lot of Hiccup from HTTYD2. He looked a little bit awkward, yet very confident. He had a little mustache and beard and his hair was very messy. There were also some designs for his wife (Angela?), she was pregnant and her design consisted of a lot of very round shapes. In some of the designs she looked a little bit latino and she was simply very beautiful. Finally, there were some designs for a merchant lady who gives Jack the magical beans (I assume). One design was an african-american lady, who reminded me a lot of a female and human version of TLKs Rafiki, while another one looked more eastern European. Her clothes were very gypsy-like and her name was Lucia.
Last edited by maxxie03 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

maxxie03 wrote:I actually got to see some of his work on the project. I don't know if it was from an early version of the movie or not, and if I can talk about the designs here, but it looked really great!

There were a few designs of Jack, who looked in his early 20s. If I had to compare him to another animated character, I would pick Hiccup from HTTYD2. He looked a little bit awkward and he had a little mustache and beard. There were also some designs for his wife (Angela?). She was pregnant and had very round shapes. Finally, there were some designs for a merchant lady who gives Jack the magical beans (I assume). One design was an african-american lady while another one looked more eastern European.
That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
maxxie03

Post by maxxie03 »

I updated my post with some more detailed descriptions ;)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Oh my god, totally called that Jack was going to look like Hiccup! And interesting that he already has a wife. BUT, YES TO THE PEOPLE OF COLOR AND THE FIRST LATINA, ROUND LEADING LADY!!!! :up: Thanks for telling us this!
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

Maxxie03, thanks for your news.
Could you describe more the look of Angela? She reminds Disney heroines from 90s or Rapunzel/Elsa/Anna? how are her hair and her eyes?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

And is Jack white or a POC? Did you see the giants?!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Oh my god, totally called that Jack was going to look like Hiccup
I'm disappointed in that as I'm not fond of Hiccup's design.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for the head-up, Maxxie03. I wish we could actually see the designs, though, haha.

I'm a little worried about the Hiccup-comparison. I wasn't particularly impressed by his design. But I could be wrong. I just hope the desings will be superior to the "Frozen"-designs.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:Thanks for the head-up, Maxxie03. I wish we could actually see the designs, though, haha.
I'm guessing we will, since we saw Nick and Judy in Zootopia when it was announced
maxxie03

Post by maxxie03 »

veu wrote:Maxxie03, thanks for your news.
Could you describe more the look of Angela? She reminds Disney heroines from 90s or Rapunzel/Elsa/Anna? how are her hair and her eyes?
Sure. Also, I've only seen concept art! Nothing was finalized, so it's definitely possibly that Disney decides to go a completely different direction with these characters and their designs. Also, all the designs where black and white sketches, so I havent seen any full-color art for this movie. For Jack's wife there were three designs.

Design 1: There were quite a few sketches of this design including some full-body ones. In this design she was probably near the end of her pregnancy and her belly is quite big. Something else I noticed is that the character is not as skinny as some other female Disney characters like Elsa or Rapunzel, but she actually has some weight to her. Obviously because she's pregnant, but her arms also looked a lot bigger compared to Jack's and because her head is very round and her cheeks are very chubby. Like I said, her head is very round with a really small chin underneath it and she has a little button nose, big eyes and her lips are also rather big compared to some other characters. Her hair variates in some of the designs. In some of the drawings she has a french braid (similar to Elsa's) and in others she has a french braid that is much smaller than Elsa's (it's only a french braid in the bottom part of her hair). In some other designs she has some beautiful hair that can be compared to Rapunzel's hair (just not as long and instead of blonde, it's black). She wears a simple but beautiful dress with a ribbon on her breasts, a necklace around her neck and a ring around her finger. She looks very sweet and loving and I personally hope this design will be the one we're going to see in the movie.

Design 2: This second designs is very generic compared to the first design. The design is very similar to a lot of other female Disney designs we've seen over the years and not as special. If you combine some princesses like Belle, Ariel and Elsa this is what you get. The character looks indeed pregnant again, but her belly is not as big as it is in the first design. Also, her personality looks very different from the one in the first design, in most of the sketches she looks much more angry, frustrated and not as loving. Her dress is very similar to Belle's blue dress and her hair is also very simple and basic (some messy bangs). While the first design looked very much latina, this character already looked much more Caucasian. Yes, her skin was made a little darker, but her overall design didn't feel very latino.

Design 3: There was only one drawing for this design, and it only featured her face. This design is once again more original than the second one. Where the first two drawings (especially the first one) looked more latina, this design looks more like an african-american character but with a much lighter skin tone. The character has once again big lips, small nose and big eyes, but her face shape is not very round. I don't really know how to describe it, but you can compare it to Pocahontas' face shape, but where Pocahontas' face has very sharp lines, this one was more organic and fluent instead. Her hair is also very different from the other two, it's still black, but she wears a bun on the back of her head with some kind of a headband that keeps it together.

EDIT: If they're indeed doing something similar to the first design, it would be very different from any female Disney heroine we've seen so far. The second one would be very disappointing, and the third design would be ok I guess. Yes, the Jack design did resemble Hiccup, but he was still very different though. Just imagine Hiccup and Flynn Ryder mixed. That would be a better way to describe him.

EDIT 2: I did not see any art of the giants. Just Jack, his wife (Angela?) and the gypsy merchant lady. Jack seems to be white.
Last edited by maxxie03 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

Thanks Maxxie for your informations.
It's very interesting. A pregnant wife could be good to see in a Disney movie based on fairy tale. It could be intersting to see what could be happened to the baby during the story (a bady kidnapping by the Giant and Jack and his wife go to free their child?) it sounds very interesting and new and in some way reated to old european fairy tales.
A Latino girl could be interesting, although I hope to see a very European setting for fairy tales, European settings (with castles, lakes, woods) are so charming and beautiful.
If Jack could seem Flynn Rider, it could be one of the most beautiful hero from Disney...
Last edited by veu on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

maxxie03 wrote: Yes, the Jack design did resemble Hiccup, but he was still very different though. Just imagine Hiccup and Flynn Ryder mixed. That would be a better way to describe him.
Okay, now we're talking! Haha!
Since Giants will be the Disney adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, I wonder how long it will take for a Little Red Riding Hood adaptation to be in the works.
To be honest, I just can't see it adapted as a full-lenght feature. Hence the story is short and it's a fairy tale without a love interest. Not that every Disney fairy tale actually needs an love interest, but it's always been Disney's bread and butter. So it should've been expanded, indeed.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

A baby kidnapping would be an excellent twist to the movie, especially if the wife comes. Sounds like a 100% Disneyfied Into the Woods.

I really do hope Angela isn't white and skinny, especially they are considering a round, Latina/African American heroine.
To be honest, I just can't see it adapted as a full-length feature. Hence the story is short and it's a fairy tale without a love interest. Not that every Disney fairy tale actually needs an love interest, but it's always been Disney's bread and butter. So it should've been expanded, indeed.
Same. I know that Disney was developing one that became Chicken Little, but it was supposed to be pretty much Shrek. LRRH wouldn't really be interesting, and the only way it can kinda work is if it's a big epic, fantasy or a long road trip.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Same. I know that Disney was developing one that became Chicken Little, but it was supposed to be pretty much Shrek. LRRH wouldn't really be interesting, and the only way it can kinda work is if it's a big epic, fantasy or a long road trip.
Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.