Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Re: Gigantic

Post by rodrigo_ca »

It's mostly based on honesty, because if you ever accidentally talk about it, or someone else with this knowledge talks about it, then they will strip you of your nomination and of your award and you'll be known as the liar. I assume no one wants to be at the risk of being unmasked in front of the whole of Hollywood.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

This whole discussion reminds me of Moulin Rouge. Come What May wasn't eligible for that year's Oscars because it was written and completed for Romeo+Juliet, but it ended up not getting used.

I could see Into the Unknown being used for Gigantic as Jack was climbing on the beanstalk, but the tune and medley fits into Frozen perfectly. But, who knows? I don't know how eligibility works for a cancelled movie. I just hope Disney releases the music for Gigantic.

Maybe Gigantic IS the 2022/2023 musical. :o I just hope we get a fairytale in this decade.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree, disneyprincess11, I could totally see Jack singing it as he's going up the stalk, maybe the "echo" is the Giant child's voice coming from the clouds making him more curious and spurring him upwards.

Also, I had no idea about that factoid concerning "Come What May." I've always loved that song, and can see how it was intended for the Romeo & Juliet story.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The upcoming book "They Drew as They Pleased: The Hidden Art of Disney's New Golden Age" features art from the cancelled Gigantic.
Didier Ghez wrote:The book also contains hundreds of pieces of never-seen artwork from some of Disney’s most beloved classics of the New Golden Age (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Frozen, etc.), as well as concept art created for shelved animated features never-before-discussed in book form: Sweating Bullets, Fraidy Cat, Gigantic, etc.
Source: https://d23.com/they-drew-as-they-pleased-book/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Sotiris wrote:The upcoming book "They Drew as They Pleased: The Hidden Art of Disney's New Golden Age" features art from the cancelled Gigantic.
Didier Ghez wrote:The book also contains hundreds of pieces of never-seen artwork from some of Disney’s most beloved classics of the New Golden Age (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Frozen, etc.), as well as concept art created for shelved animated features never-before-discussed in book form: Sweating Bullets, Fraidy Cat, Gigantic, etc.
Source: https://d23.com/they-drew-as-they-pleased-book/
Where Can i buy this Book ? :D

I want it really bad :drool: :rock: :banana: :woot:
Disney's Divinity

It should be available on Amazon if you type the title there. It appears there are multiple volumes, so I'm not sure which volume features concept art from Gigantic and other cancelled projects.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^They're in volume 6.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Just pre-ordered this! Seeing brand new art is exciting enough, but to get art from Gigantic (along with Fraidy Cat and that ghost movie) makes me JAZZED! :dance: :dance: :dance: I might have not been excited for this movie, but I'm dying to know what would have been. It'd be great if the Lopezs released the music too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Ordered it as well since it has Beauty and the Beast in it, I might order the 50's as well because of Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Sotiris wrote:^They're in volume 6.
I will look for a buyer that ships to Sweden :)
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Just pre-ordered this! Seeing brand new art is exciting enough, but to get art from Gigantic (along with Fraidy Cat and that ghost movie) makes me JAZZED! :dance: :dance: :dance: I might have not been excited for this movie, but I'm dying to know what would have been. It'd be great if the Lopezs released the music too.
Do you mean "a few good ghosts" that was suposed to be made by the Florida Unit ? :?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

A Few Good Ghosts (among its other titles) & Wild Life are also featured in Charles Solomon's "Disney Lost & Found":
https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Lost-Foun ... 1423116011
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:^They're in volume 6.
I will look for a buyer that ships to Sweden :)
Here you can buy it in Sweden at Adlibris and Bokus. I live in Sweden and I buy my Disney books here.
https://www.bokus.com/bok/9781797200934 ... -volume-6/
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Wow, maybe that's why the song sounds so similar to Giants in the Sky.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Some of the artwork from the new book "They Drew As They Pleased" can already be found on Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeSnzEfVAAE ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeSnzKNUcAA ... name=large
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thanks for the photos :)

Did they give a reason for why it was cancelled?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thank you robster16 and disneyprincess11 for the photos! The backgrounds look cool. This is my favorite piece of the bunch. Too bad we didn't get more art of Jack and Imna. Was there any information about the plot of the movie in the book?

I still think the project had potential. It just needed some key changes. Instead of a kid giantess, they could have had an adult giantess as the villain and instead of the narrative focusing on Jack and Imna's sibling-like relationship, they could have gone with a more traditional coming-of-age fantasy story and have a princess be Jack's love interest. So, less Wreck-It Ralph and more Aladdin.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, Sotiris, that picture was beautiful. I was going to say the fourth and fifth from the top (of which the one you posted was one) and then the third from the bottom were my favorite of the images disneyprincess11 posted.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

disneyprincess11, thank you!!! :pink: :pink: (And poor girl- I hope you're getting some rest <3) Sotiris, that's my favorite of the bunch, too, but I really like the ones of Jack and his mom and Jack and his cow.

I pre-ordered this (not the best use of my little $ but I needed to complete the collection), and I hope the A Few Good Ghosts, Fraidy Cat, and Wild Life pics are different than in the other books (Dream World's, Lost and Found).