Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Gigantic

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I'm mixed. Knowing how this site has called a few things and since the owner "is friends with Nathan," it wouldn't surprise me if he/she was correct. However, the cancellation was really public with the announcement and the writing off. And Nathan is gone at Disney Animation. It seems too soon for it to be revived so quickly. If this is true, I really hope they got rid of the terrible story with Imna and Jack and make it much more mature. I love the Lopezes, but I wouldn't mind if they were replaced with Alan Mencken (now Lasseter is gone?) to give this a fresh new direction.This whole thing reminds me of WiR 2 when it was off production for two years.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I think this situation might be similar to what went down with Tangled's production: the movie did come out but only after other versions of the story ("Rapunzel" and "Rapunzel Unbraided") were cancelled, probably because those versions had "a significant number of story problems to overcome."

They probably thought announcing this movie would make the story problems be fixed sooner (you know, pressure and publicity). But it just made things harder.

It's possible that the Gigantic story is cancelled, but an adaptation of the Jack & the Beanstalk story will be revived -- maybe after Frozen 2?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I would really love for Disney to do this movie, just as a good adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk. And preferably in England which is the story's only origin.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I would be happy if the project was revived, but I find it quite little reliable, due to it coming so soon after it was recently shelved. And besides, it would've been a bummer for me, since I've already written an entry about it's cancellation. :eyebrow: :facepalm:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I dreamt about this movie last night. With Disney Film Facts getting everything right lately, I would not be surprised if he/she is right about the movie back in development. Weird since its shelving was published.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:With Disney Film Facts getting everything right lately, I would not be surprised if he/she is right about the movie back in development. Weird since its shelving was published.
Yes, Disney Film Facts is having a lot of scoops lately. And they sound quite believable, so I guess they probably know someone at Disney who gives them the info. But, has any of their scoops been confirmed yet?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:But, has any of their scoops been confirmed yet?
None of their scoops have been confirmed yet by Disney or by trade publications. That is not to say they aren't reliable or their info isn't legitimate. We just have to wait and see if any of their exclusives hold any water, particularly in Gigantic's case which is very iffy. Let's not forget, it's much easier to get information on Disney's live-action projects than their animated ones due to the crackdown imposed by Lasseter on the studios.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:None of their scoops have been confirmed yet by Disney or by trade publications. That is not to say they aren't reliable or their info isn't legitimate.
That's what I thought. But, yes, it doesn't mean they aren't true. I don't think they would make up all those news, but we don't know how much their source really knows and how much could be just rumors he/she could have heard. As you say, we'll have to wait and see.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The DisInsider is now reporting that Gigantic has indeed been cancelled. :-"
Q: Is there no Gigantic in the making? They shelved the project I heard.

The DisInsider: It was "shelved" last year. But I'm hearing it's "cancelled" now.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/qM36Aeq.jpg
Q: Is there any chance of development resuming on Gigantic?

Skyler Shuler: Nah, it's done.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 5812621313
Q: Any update on Gigantic? Will it ever happen?

Skyler Shuler: No, that project is officially dead.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/JYerIEi.jpg
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Disney Film Facts is now reporting that Gigantic has indeed been cancelled. :-"
Q: Is there no Gigantic in the making? They shelved the project I heard.

Disney Film Facts: It was "shelved" last year. But I'm hearing it's "cancelled" now.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/qM36Aeq.jpg
Pretty much anything Original is cancelled at WDAS. Stick to your Live-Action reboots & Sequels :angry:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I mean, yeah. Why would they revive the movie after they publicly announced the cancellation?

I would love a JatB movie, but when the story is actually matched with it. For now, we have the Mickey Mouse one and Disney needs to dive to other fairytales.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would have loved to have seen a more traditional version of Jack and the Beanstalk as well, but as pointed out, we do have Mickey's version already so this isn't the first fairy tale that comes to mind for a Disney adaptation. I'd prefer something more unique like Sindbad or Puss in Boots, the former because of Alan Menken's pre-existing music for it and the latter because Andreas Deja illustrated a storybook for it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

So then what ORIGINAL animated features are on the horizon?
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

^^ I'm sure there are Semaj, but they haven't yet been announced. I'm dying to know what's cooking at WDAS beyond Frozen 2.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Probably Frozen 3.

:mischief:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:I'm dying to know what's cooking at WDAS beyond Frozen 2.
There's Dragon Empire by Dean Wellins & Paul Briggs slated for November 25th 2020, a musical by Byron Howard & Jared Bush with songs by LMM, a film by Stephen Anderson, and a film by Don Hall & Chris Williams.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:
There's Dragon Empire by Dean Wellins & Paul Briggs slated for November 25th 2020, a musical by Byron Howard & Jared Bush with songs by LMM, a film by Stephen Anderson, and a film by Don Hall & Chris Williams.
Wasn't it supposed to not be a musical?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I would have loved to have seen a more traditional version of Jack and the Beanstalk as well, but as pointed out, we do have Mickey's version already so this isn't the first fairy tale that comes to mind for a Disney adaptation. I'd prefer something more unique like Sindbad or Puss in Boots, the former because of Alan Menken's pre-existing music for it and the latter because Andreas Deja illustrated a storybook for it.
they wont do Puss In Boots b/c Dreamworks pretty much owns that character already. But there's so many other classic stories they can do. Id love Tam Lin, Midsummer's Night's Dream, Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, Ramayana or original stories with interesting cultures, mythologies and time periods not yet done. They really need to sit down and do their research, the stories are out there!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:
And Zootopia 2, which will no doubt be Moore and Clarke's next movie
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What do you think Ron Clements' next project will be? It would be interesting to see how he does without John Musker.