Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

Post by DisneyEra »

SWillie! wrote:Does anyone here understand Honor Hunter's relationship with Disney? He always knows everything, and he says things like "I've been given permission..." etc, and yet they make him take it down. If he has such a good relationship with Disney, why would he jeopardize it by posting something he isn't allowed?
I agree. It was removed about a couple hours after post. Maybe someone at Disney said it was OK, only to have a higher-up disagree or reconsider. Overall Disney didn't want that article posted. But i'm glad he did :)
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Clear Road Ahead...

The future under The Hat Building is being revealed...

When the schedule was announced a couple of weeks ago, a lot of people were confused as so many of the films coming out from Walt Disney Animation Studios had the same name: "untitled". Well, perhaps it should've just been said unrevealed. Because now we will slowly start to give you a hint as to what lies ahead, and what you can be prepared to see over the next few years.

Other sites have started to get an inkling as to what is ahead, so I've been given permission to reveal a little more of what's ahead by my Bothans. After "Frozen" comes out this year (expect the actual trailer out around "Cloudy 2") we have next year's most unusual animated film yet with the Marvel adaptation of "Big Hero 6" to make an impression on Disney fans like no film before it. Then WDAS takes a year break before starting back again on 2016 with Nathan Greno's new twist on fairy tales entitled "Giants" which will show you how much his influence on "Tangled" truly was. Later in the year Byron Howard's (sans Greno who was attached before his own project) "Zootopia" staring a very foxy Jason Bateman ends out 2016.

After a short break we'll finally get Ron and John's next feature, "Moara" which will be a Polynesian tale involving the island folk and the idols made famous the world over. It will also mark the directing duo's first computer animated film, or at least computer hybrid animated film (think "Paperman"). Following that, if story issues are worked out Dean Wellin's teenage space race animated film will rush to the screens. Wellin's film is an unusual story that is different from most Disney Animation, just as Big Hero 6 marks a change in perception of what comes from the Mouse.

After that there are a couple projects being developed right now that are way too early to really get into. But as you can see, the list of animated films coming ahead are more than just fairy tales. And John Lasseter is working hard to make sure that the quality and content are focused and entertaining the way that fans expect animated films from Burbank. So to put it in chronological perspective for you here is the schedule:

Frozen (2013)

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Giants (2016)

Zootopia (2016)

Moara (TBA, likely 2018)

Untitled Dean Wellin's animated feature ( TBA, likely 2018)

Just get some animated shorts in front of them...
I'm putting this here to have it for future usage.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Is it that Pixar will have 2 films in 2015 and 2017 (WDAS's off years) and have one film a year otherwise?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

SWillie! wrote:Does anyone here understand Honor Hunter's relationship with Disney? He always knows everything, and he says things like "I've been given permission..." etc, and yet they make him take it down.
It seems to me he doesn't have a relationship with Disney in any official capacity. He simply knows people inside the studio or the company. I figured that he got permission from his informants to post the article but then 'official' Disney asked him to take it down.
Lnds500 wrote:I'm putting this here to have it for future usage.
The cashed page has a few errors that Honor later corrected. It misspells Moana as Moara and mixes up the release dates for Zootopia and Giants.
qindarka wrote:Is it that Pixar will have 2 films in 2015 and 2017 (WDAS's off years) and have one film a year otherwise?
Yep, that's their new business plan.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Lady Cluck wrote:Those all sound fairly interesting and unique. I hope at least one is a musical.
Besides Moana, I'm taking that Giants will be a musical since it'll be a fairytale or takes place in a world of fairytales.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Interesting news. Though I hope Giants is a working title.

It sounds ridiculously lazy.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

PatrickvD wrote:Interesting news. Though I hope Giants is a working title.

It sounds ridiculously lazy.
In ten years, it'll. probably denigrate to just "Film."
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

UPDATED:

Zootopia: 2015

Giants: 2016

Moana: 2017/2018

TBA (Wreck-It Ralph 2?): 2018
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Moana is the only one that I would be open towards because of the "painterly style" that could be visually appealing and refreshing to me like Paperman was since it wouldn't have the typical CG look that I'm so sick of seeing all the time (I wouldn't have minded if Tangled was CGI had it gone with the painted look that I actually liked when I saw it in test footage). Because of that, Moana could have to potential to either finally be another new Disney movie that I'd want to see, or just another disappointment if they do what they did with Tangled and make it another ordinary CG movie.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Moana is the only one that I would be open towards because of the "painterly style" that could be visually appealing and refreshing to me like Paperman was since it wouldn't have the typical CG look that I'm so sick of seeing all the time (I wouldn't have minded if Tangled was CGI had it gone with the painted look that I actually liked when I saw it in test footage). Because of that, Moana could have to potential to either finally be another new Disney movie that I'd want to see, or just another disappointment if they do what they did with Tangled and make it another ordinary CG movie.
The real reason that people are so interested in Moana is mainly cause she's a person of color. If this film was about another white princess, there would be a lot of tumblur backlash and what not. I'm looking forward to Giants the most, regardless of the characters color cause it will continue the Tangled/Frozen universe. A Thanksgiving 2016 release, just right.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

DisneyEra wrote:
2Disney4Ever wrote:Moana is the only one that I would be open towards because of the "painterly style" that could be visually appealing and refreshing to me like Paperman was since it wouldn't have the typical CG look that I'm so sick of seeing all the time (I wouldn't have minded if Tangled was CGI had it gone with the painted look that I actually liked when I saw it in test footage). Because of that, Moana could have to potential to either finally be another new Disney movie that I'd want to see, or just another disappointment if they do what they did with Tangled and make it another ordinary CG movie.
The real reason that people are so interested in Moana is mainly cause she's a person of color. If this film was about another white princess, there would be a lot of tumblur backlash and what not. I'm looking forward to Giants the most, regardless of the characters color cause it will continue the Tangled/Frozen universe. A Thanksgiving 2016 release, just right.
And yet I think I remember some people questioning Princess and the Frog for having a black princess. Of course the thing that really mattered to me at the time was that Disney was going back to hand-drawn animation, so I didn't question what the movie was going to be. Plus I'm not racist, so I'm able to watch a movie with a black lead character like Tiana and be invested in her as a character, cause I don't care if she's black or not.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The only reason I'm looking forward to Moana is because it's supposed to be the next Musker/Clements film. But we know next to nothing about Giants or Moana, so I'm not sure how to choose. The only thing I'm not looking forward to about both those movies is new princess charaqcters knocking Jasmine, Mulan and/or Pocahontas out of the DP line--because godforbid a white girl get booted (Merida should go before any of the others, imo; is she even popular?).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'm interested because its Musker/Clements, and the fact that it might use a different style of cg then we're used to. I knew nothing about her race until reading DisneyEra's post.

People on tumblr make everything about race. They're pretty irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Wait, so we've got Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur and Zootopia all coming out in 2015?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I didn't realise it, but I'm firmly in the camp of looking forward to Disneys retelling of fairy tales the most; I would never have pinned me down for that sort of person, but from looking at that list, I'm excited for nowt but Giants, as it will be a fairy tale musical (it seems). Feel nothing for Big Hero Six, or Zootopia.

They could never shove a Princess of colour out the line; the backlash would be huge. They'd just use them a bit less if anything. I'm sure they don't want another Merida situation on their hands (and no, I don't think she's popular….)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

actually Im sure theyve been dying to dump Snow White by now but cant b/c it would be seen disrespectful to Walt, being the first Princess.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

unprincess wrote:actually Im sure theyve been dying to dump Snow White by now but cant b/c it would be seen disrespectful to Walt, being the first Princess.
And it's also historically significant to the studio not only for being Walt's first film, but for being the very first animated feature. But I guess Snow White doesn't convince Disney that they should have an obligation to preserve the art of 2D movies, when they were the ones that made the first 2D movies to begin with.

DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

2Disney4Ever wrote:
unprincess wrote:actually Im sure theyve been dying to dump Snow White by now but cant b/c it would be seen disrespectful to Walt, being the first Princess.
And it's also historically significant to the studio not only for being Walt's first film, but for being the very first animated feature. But I guess Snow White doesn't convince Disney that they should have an obligation to preserve the art of 2D movies, when they were the ones that made the first 2D movies to begin with.
:zzz:

Anyway, seems like an interesting slate of films to look forward to. I'm really looking forward to Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana, I like seeing WDAS go out of its comfort zone every now and then.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Zootopia is coming in 2016, after all. ARL fixed it on its FB page.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

From SUGA Magazine's Facebook!:

"The new Disney film about a Polynesian Princess "Moana" is due to be released next year!"