Tangled (& Tangled Ever After) Discussion: Part VII

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel) Discussion - Part II

Post by Farerb »

Can someone explain why the film never got nominated in the Best Animated Feature category?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel) Discussion - Part II

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm curious about that too although I'm quite glad this debacle of a film never got a nomination.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tangled (& Tangled Ever After) Discussion: Part VII

Post by Sotiris »

Because there were only three slots available in the category as less than 16 films were submitted for consideration that year. More academy members of the animation branch voted for Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, and The llusionist and/or placed them higher in their preference list than Tangled. It's not that complicated.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I didn't know about that rule, Nice to know. Thank you.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I do really feel Tangled should have been nominated; the lanterns scene alone is totally iconic, and a beautiful piece of cinema. Shame it missed out.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Atlantica wrote:I do really feel Tangled should have been nominated; the lanterns scene alone is totally iconic, and a beautiful piece of cinema. Shame it missed out.
I agree.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I also think it should've been nominated. In my opinion, it deserved the nomination more than The Illusionist. The French film was beautifully drawn, but I found its story a bit underwhelming. And I think Tangled should've won best song.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Because there were only three slots available in the category as less than 16 films were submitted for consideration that year. More academy members of the animation branch voted for Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, and The llusionist and/or placed them higher in their preference list than Tangled. It's not that complicated.
Those three films are definitely better than Tangled. *shrug*
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I disagree. I thought Toy Story 3 was mediocre with two emotional scenes which clouded the rest of the film's mediocrity.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:I thought Toy Story 3 was mediocre with two emotional scenes which clouded the rest of the film's mediocrity.
Agreed. And it was too derivative and unoriginal to boot.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Sotiris wrote:
farerb wrote:I thought Toy Story 3 was mediocre with two emotional scenes which clouded the rest of the film's mediocrity.
Agreed. And it was too derivative and unoriginal to boot.
Finally...I thought I was the only one rotfl
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I feel the same way about Up too. Outside the opening 'married life' sequence, the rest of the film is quite forgettable.
REINIER wrote:I thought I was the only one rotfl
You're definitely not alone. :wink: Going from the consistently good, innovative and genuinely affecting Toy Story 2 to essentially a lesser rehash of that was disappointing. I expect Toy Story 4 to be even worse.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:
I feel the same way about Up too. Outside the openinng 'married life' sequence, the rest of the film is quite forgettable.
Agreed. I always felt the reason both were nominated in the Best Picture award was because they increased the number of nominees to ten and probably felt obligated to put at least one animated film.
Disney's Divinity

I think Toy Story 3's win is very deserved, and Toy Story as a series thus far has progressively improved, imo, although I wouldn't be surprised if TS4 is the first step backward. I have to laugh at the suggestion that, considering the all-around bad treatment of animated films at awards shows, the Oscars would've ever felt obligated to nominate an animated film for Best Picture. No, it was just that good.

HTTYD was okay, but there was a lot of bad to go with the good in that film, just like with Tangled. It never stood a chance. "I See Your Light," on the other hand, I would agree was robbed, even if the song could've been enormously improved with better singers (either/or better voice actors v. an End Credits version)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I liked Toy Story 3 as much as its predecessors but I agree that Up is highly overrated. The first ten minutes of the film are all anyone really remembers anyway.

As for Tangled, although it was a box office hit, from what I remember, the critical reviews weren't exactly raving. They weren't terrible (probably because the films before it were so horribly received by audiences so anything seemed like a step up), but people felt that it wasn't at all worthy of being labeled Disney's 50th animated classic. Which itself was a marketing tool Disney used after the film cost so much money and they were desperate to balance that out.
ImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

HTTYD is a mixed bag. It's really beautiful but the story points are also pretty cliche- overbearing parent, geeky nerd protagonist, bonding with special pet, etc. I guess it works for the first film to be cliched to have a starting point and in the sequels develop more original ideas.

Toy Story 3...I kinda agree with what others have said earlier.

I need to see the Illusionist to gather an opinion, but French animated cinema is usually good, so who knows.

Tangled is nice and entertaining, but it does feel very safe in many aspects. Like it was thought by marketers first and foremost, like to have the ultimate Disney film but without any potential risk that might alienate audiences (and customers from buying dolls). The backgrounds are always pretty, Rapunzel is the most Barbie-like of the princesses in terms of design, hardly any scary content, and Flynn has that Dreamworsk-y humor which was appealing back then.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:I disagree. I thought Toy Story 3 was mediocre with two emotional scenes which clouded the rest of the film's mediocrity.
Agreed. Toy Story 3 was watchable and passable enough and had a couple of entertaining bits. But it was overall not as brilliant as the majority wants it to be. I especially disliked the tackling of the villain, who was just a rehash of Stinky Peet, at least in terms of backstory and motiviation and how underdeveloped he was as at the end.

As for Up, I find it to be a better film. But it's somewhat odd in terms of consistency (the talking elements). And making Carl's childhood hero the villain was just off, when the story didn't needed him to be the villain. He's the catalyst for Carl's quest, so why even have him to be the villain?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I don't really like Flynn Rider he feels too smug and morden.

I will even go so farr as to say. I find Shrek to A hundred times more subtle and likeable than him.

Characters like Shrek , Mulan and Simba i feel i care about more.

They seemed a little more genuine.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Honestly what you've described about Flynn is how I feel about pretty much the entire film's cast. Rapunzel, Pascal, Maximus, and Flynn are all super grating and irritating to me. The same goes for the side characters like the Stabbington Brothers and the Pub Thugs. Gothel is decent but her character is only halfway formed.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I used to really hate Flynn. I'm not sure if the animated show improved on his character or if it just made me understand the character more? Either way, I like him more now than I did pre-show.