Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

Post by estefan »

PatrickvD wrote:To be fair, There are barely any new Mickey Mouse Shorts. This is, what, the second in 30 years or so?
Fourth. Mickey's Christmas Carol, The Prince and the Pauper and Runaway Brain were the other ones.

But I agree with you, Patrick, that the new rules doesn't help the smaller films. Sure, the Academy will send a DVD with all of the nominees, but that doesn't mean they will watch them. The reason they closed the voting, as you said, is because one year most of the voters picked the one American nominee due to not having seen any of the nominated shorts.

It will be like back when in the 40s and 50s when Tom & Jerry won seven times (I feel most of those were deserved, but my point still stands).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I know I haven't seen it yet, but I hope it gets nominated and hopefully win.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

PatrickvD wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Well, indie animation has long had better luck in the shorts category since the end of the Golden Age. Aside from Disney's own sporadic shorts schedule, Paperman was their first win in more than 40 years.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Here's more model sheets of this short.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-fro ... ers-66127/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Nice. I like how a couple stills look like old prints really. The others look pretty new
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How the team behind Disney's "Get A Horse!" uses breakthrough technology to create the look of a 1928 short
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... neQiPmUQtE
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Considering this place is pretty much ground zero for the five stages of grief regarding the 'death' of hand drawn animation. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZGGIHETLs#t=0

Looks stunning.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

:lol: Looks great.

My only criticism is that the animation is a little too polished. They made such effort to make it indistinguishable from the late 1920s, but my eye can clearly tell that this isn't 1920s animation, even if it wants to be. For one thing, I think there's too much squash and stretch and follow-through. It looks too lovely! I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or a criticism.

But I like it. Can't wait to see the rest of it on December 12th. :D

EDIT: Also, Clarabelle's udders!!! rotfl Seems like the Hays Code isn't in effect anymore.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

85 years today since Steamboat Willie premiered. Congratulations to Mickey Mouse!^^

Celebrate Mickey Mouse's 85th anniversary by watching this exclusive clip from "Get A Horse!" Read more about the short and find out why you need to see it in 3D before Frozen
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =notify_me

On the 85th Anniversary of Mickey Mouse's Debut, Watch An Exclusive Clip From the New Short Film 'Get a Horse!'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... ertainment

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyMouse
https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAnimation
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

PatrickvD wrote:Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Considering this place is pretty much ground zero for the five stages of grief regarding the 'death' of hand drawn animation. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZGGIHETLs#t=0

Looks stunning.
Awesome! I love it when Horace Horsecollar did a cute little tap dance.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Jules wrote::lol: Looks great.

My only criticism is that the animation is a little too polished. They made such effort to make it indistinguishable from the late 1920s, but my eye can clearly tell that this isn't 1920s animation, even if it wants to be. For one thing, I think there's too much squash and stretch and follow-through. It looks too lovely! I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or a criticism.

But I like it. Can't wait to see the rest of it on December 12th. :D

EDIT: Also, Clarabelle's udders!!! rotfl Seems like the Hays Code isn't in effect anymore.
My thoughts exactly, though some shots looked better than others in that regard.

Even the title over the title card looked too new.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

PatrickvD wrote:Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Considering this place is pretty much ground zero for the five stages of grief regarding the 'death' of hand drawn animation. :lol:
Then perhaps will have to close that awful Hand Drawn Is Dead at Disney Thread for good. :P
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Saw it a few hours ago. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I'm not really sure why, it just doesn't grab me. Then again I guess I wasn't crazy about that era of Disney in general. Technically it was quite good, I just got bored after a bit. As far as micing old techniques go, my heart belongs to paperman. Even if I didn't like the sentient paper airplane aspect of it, I was way more engaged in that one.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Saw Get a Horse! before Frozen, and I have to admit I've never been a fan of these old black-and-white shorts, so I think I was having the same reaction as the audience by wondering why we have to watch this instead of just jumping straight to the film. :P By the end of it though, I really enjoyed the short, and I think the audience was as surprised by that as I was (there was a lady behind me saying, "That was really good!" as if in shock. :lol: ). It would be nice if they started including these in front of all their films.

(Btw, surprised my first post somehow was removed considering the posts that are left untouched on this forum. :?: EDIT: Realized there are two threads, one for this specific short and another for MM shorts in general, which I mixed up. I thought I deleted this post earlier though... >>; )
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Saw Get a Horse! before Frozen, and I have to admit I've never been a fan of these old black-and-white shorts, so I think I was having the same reaction as the audience by wondering why we have to watch this instead of just jumping straight to the film. :P By the end of it though, I really enjoyed the short, and I think the audience was as surprised by that as I was (there was a lady behind me saying, "That was really good!" as if in shock. :lol: ). It would be nice if they started including these in front of all their films.

(Btw, surprised my first post somehow was removed considering the posts that are left untouched on this forum. :?: )
I really loved the moment where the color CG and black and white hand drawn animation CLASH with one another; it made me laugh at the very end and the use of Walt and Billy's original voice acting is done well, instead of making it awkard.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I absolutely loved "Get a Horse!", and my favorite part was a lucky little cameo towards the end. It immediately stood out to me, and my brother and I both geeked out over it. At last, a wish I've had since 2006 has come true. ;)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I loved the jokes with Horace and him eating popcorn, I thought that was funny!

People really liked, since they began applauding right after it ended...And considering the crowd consisted mostly of parents with kids, the most people who applauded were the parents. I guess that shows that Mickey can still be a crowd pleaser. ;)

And yes I loved the cameo!
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Great short film, it's nice to see Mickey have a comeback.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

This was a FANTASTIC short, and easily the highlight of the evening for me. Although, the movie does feel like a 4D film they made for the Disney Parks as an attraction. I was genuinely waiting for the squirts of water and bursts of air to hit my face :p . But really now, the short was brilliant in every regard. The 3D, in particular, was beautifully implemented. I loved how the small hole in the screen looked like it had actual depth to it!

Fantastic short, and I hope they continue doing them!

PS: And I missed the cameo :(
ImageImageImageImage