Sister Act on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Sister Act on Broadway

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I LOVE waking up to wonderful news! Playbill reports this morning that Sister Act is going to become a stage musical in fall 2006. Alan Menken is writing the music too! (Hopefully they keep the songs that are already in it). Very exciting news! :D I'll travel anywhere in the world to see this one! ;) Is this the first non-Disney Buena Vista film to become a musical?

Hopefully this means a Special Edition DVD next year!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Are you serious? That's a bizarre choice for a stage show, but I have to admit that I'm excited at the prospect of getting a SE DVD of the film to cross promote the show. Be sure to give us an in-depth review when you see it opening night. ;) Heck, you could even devote an entire Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Pod episode to it. :D
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

that will be werid but relly cool. :D
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Nothing you can say can tear me away from my God...my God... :)

I will follow Him! Follow Him wherever He may go!

I love Sister Act, but a stage musical seems rather strange. Then again they do have a musical about a spelling bee (something like The 30th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) so a musical about a showgirl turned Nun should be interesting. Maybe we'll get some of the Latin Hunchback songs in this show! Also, wouldn't they have to get the rights to the music she spoofs? And is it possible to find an actress to fill Whoopi's shoes...I mean habit? lol...
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Maybe it's just that I'm a fan, but I don't think it's an odd choice at all. The movie already has musical elements to it, the screenplay seems like it would make for an easy adaptation to a play, and it's about lounge singers and singing nuns in flashy Las Vegas... sounds like a great set of ingredients to me.
Kram Nebuer wrote:Also, wouldn't they have to get the rights to the music she spoofs?
I don't think so. Parodying doesn't require rights to begin with... but the songs in Sister Act aren't really parodies because they keep most of the original lyrics. Still, Disney already has the rights to the songs as they appear in Sister Act, and the soundtrack is still in print as far as I know so it's obviously been maintained, so I would imagine that they already have the rights.
Kram Nebuer wrote:And is it possible to find an actress to fill Whoopi's shoes...I mean habit? lol...
Definitely not. ;) Maybe she'll be in it... she doesn't have a lot going on right now and she just wrapped up her last Broadway show. She's said in the past that she didn't like filming it that much because the habit was so uncomfortable (or something like that), so maybe she won't. That would be great, though! If it isn't her, I hope they find a suitable replacement, bearing in mind that there's only one Whoopi.

I'm really hoping that she is heavily involved with the inevitable special edition releases of both <i>Sister Act</i>s. I'd love a commentary track from her, along with some of the other cast and crew. She hasn't been very involved with any of her DVDs yet, but I think this could be the release to change that trend.

Did anyone get to see the other Whoopi movie-turned-show, <i>The Color Purple</i> musical? I'd love to get to see that one.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Re: Sister Act To Become Stage Musical!!

Post by RJKD23 »

awallaceunc wrote:Hopefully this means a Special Edition DVD next year!
Wow, that is GREAT news! :D That movie had great songs! :)
And an SE of that movie is something I'm waiting for! (of that and SA2!)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

From what I read a little bit ago, I think that Disney is actually optioning the rights to <i>Sister Act</i> and will have nothing to do with the play. If I'm not mistaken, Peter Schneider, once a major exec among Disney Animation, is seeing this through.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Sister Act is coming back to London! Watch the promo, here.

Whoopi Goldberg Announces Return To London Stage In ‘Sister Act’ Revival
https://deadline.com/video/whoopi-goldb ... -saunders/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

As Deloris, which is very interesting and odd, given how energic the role is on stage. I believe she has said on The View that it's being rewritten to accomodate her
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t know the show well enough to make much comment about the... um, practicality?, of this casting, but man oh man, to see Whoopi Goldberg live on stage would be such a thrill. Truly one of our greatest living performers. And the added bonus of seeing Jennifer Saunders alongside her!

Alas, a trip to London cannot be in the cards for me...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, that's amazing. I saw this play on Broadway. But I didn't like it. I guess I didn't like that it felt like they were being a little blasphemous in decking out Mary and the habits. Maybe not. I didn't like Raven Symone's character, I couldn't tell if it was her or the acting. She seemed like she just was...I don't know what word it is. She was...empty and flighty? And I guess the show wasn't particularly poignant or, well, good to me.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

There’s speculation that this really is a one-off (read: no Broadway transfer with Whoopi), but it could be filmed for Disney+, which would suit me just fine!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'd watch it, as I enjoyed the stage musical when I saw it in London.

I also read that Whoopi Goldberg will return to play Deloris on stage alongside Jennifer Saunders, from Absolutely Fabulous.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50167750
Sotiris

Re: Sister Act on Broadway

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken and Glenn Slater are writing a new song for the Sister Act revival in London. Update: The new song was scrapped after Whoopi dropped out.
Glenn Slater wrote:Starting the year off right — working on a new Sister Act duet for Whoopi Goldberg and Jennifer Saunders. Can't wait to see these two geniuses on stage together in London this summer!
Source: https://twitter.com/SlaterLyrics/status ... 1565940736
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I hope it's released online as well when the Sister Act revival opens in London.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Whoopi Goldberg Departs London Cast of Sister Act as Production Postponed Until 2022
https://playbill.com/article/whoopi-gol ... until-2022
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote:Whoopi Goldberg Departs London Cast of Sister Act as Production Postponed Until 2022
https://playbill.com/article/whoopi-gol ... until-2022
What a shame. I wonder if Jennifer Saunders will stay with this production? The report doesn’t say.

Isn’t there a Sister Act 3 in the works? Maybe we can Whoopi as Deloris in that, should it come to fruition.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:49 amI wonder if Jennifer Saunders will stay with this production? The report doesn’t say.
Jennifer Saunders is still on board.

Beverley Knight, Jennifer Saunders, Keala Settle, More Will Star in London Sister Act Musical
https://playbill.com/article/beverley-k ... ct-musical
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sister Act performance at the Olivier Awards. The revival was nominated for Best Revival of a Musical and Best Supporting Actor in a Musical, but lost in both categories. In addition, Sister Act won Theatre Show of the Year at the London Lifestyle Awards.