Wreck-It Ralph - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

ajmrowland wrote:I dont think these are final, as they are just recycled poster art. Normally a new disney movie gets completely new coverart.
Tangled says hi:

ImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

about that, but the 3D combo had something relatively new. That was the 2D version inevitably given less attention.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

The movie was...good. And cute. And had great creativity, mainly in Sugar Rush. That was awesome, amazing creativity. Oh, and they were very creative with many of the story points, too. And I really loved the music. It was fantastic in the parts I remember noticing it. I felt really bad whenever Vanellope's carts got...you know. And I did actually like her character. She was my third favorite character. My first was King Candy. Not his true form, just the King form. I agree with everyone a real Disney movie shouldn't use product placement, but I think a real Disney movie shouldn't use video games either, or at least not a lot of other things you gusy think they can use and still be a Disney movie. I actually liked Sergeant Calhoun, except for quite a few of her bad one liners (just like who in the world besides children under 8 liked the jokes about duty or the names Ralph and Vanellope called each other?). She was my second favorite character. I loved Fix-it-Felix and his romance with you know who. Ralph was, as many said, bland, and I'll add to that a bore. He was the joe schmo surrounded by more fantastic co-stars.

And it made no sense that in the video game worlds some things would look square and pixelated while other things would look round and real. For instance the people in Wreck it Ralph's world were round and just like the kids that came in to play the games, but their apartments were square and flat.

And as others pointed out, what also made no sense was Vanellope retaining her "ability" at the end. Or the whole "want to be a racer" but "be a president" democracy thing.

Anyway, this wasn't a Disney classic like Rapunzel, but it was a good movie, and sometimes was enchanting...mainly in Sugar Rush. That's where all the good stuff happened.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:The scene where the Sugar Rush racers trashed Vanellope's cart reminded my of the scene in Cinderella where her stepsisters ripped her dress apart.
I thought the exact same thing when I was sitting in the theater!
The part where Ralph trashes her cart reminded me of King Triton destroying Ariel's grotto. I don't want to say it was as good as that scene or which scene was better, they're both different I guess if I had to pick I would pick The Little Mermaid's of course, even though it disturbs me.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess the answer would be to watch a Disney film back-to-back with a Dreamworks, Ghibli, or Pixar film, and see if they feel exactly the same. Answer: they don't. There is a distinct feeling that is "Disney," just like there is a distinct feeling to films of most every studio out there.
So you do believe in a Disney essence then.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

to be fair, I still dont see how ralph is bland, or anyone else really saying that he is. I guess he is joe schmoe but he isnt exactly in the high point of his life when we meet him. he gets sympathies from my mom, myself, and many moviegoers just for wanting a friend.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, let's look at it the opposite way--what's interesting about Ralph?

It's not as if he's Disney first bland protagonist, and many films that are meant to be franchises have bland protagonists. I don't dislike Ralph; I don't feel much towards the character at all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah, I actually looked at it that way. my point is that him being bland is not a detriment to the movie, imo. aka he wasnt boring to watch; he was just sort of an everyman.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Perhaps Ralph feels bland because the minute we enter Sugar Rush, it becomes Vanellope's story. She becomes the character the audience is rooting for and the one who has the biggest character arc. The focus of the narrative shifts from Ralph to Vanellope and her dream.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I gotta ask this...do none of you own a thesaurus?

I apologise..."bland" is just one of my least favourite words in the English dictionary.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I gotta ask this...do none of you own a thesaurus?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we must cater to other members' linguistic preferences when making a post.
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, the Tinkerbell one was written almost two years ago, when my dislike for the word hadn't yet formed. And my point in the first quote is that he has gotten that reputation and people do seem to use that word the most in describing his acting. Never saw anybody call Broderick "stale", even though that's what they really mean.
Sotiris wrote:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we must cater to other members' linguistic preferences when making a post.
Not saying people should. Just wondering why people only seem to only know one adjective out of the multitudes of wonderful ones in our language.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
Bland, featureless, ordinary, dull, lackluster, boring, nondescript, unappealing, mediocre--all words that describe Ralph. I just happened to use the first one. If you go back to my review post a page or so back, you'll find many wonderful adjectives. :wink:

And, Sotiris, you're right about the plot shift being the cause, but I think part of it is that Ralph's own story (becoming accepted/no longer an outcast) has lost its impact because of how much its been used--and to better effect in many other films than here.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:Just wondering why people only seem to only know one adjective out of the multitudes of wonderful ones in our language.
Just because some people use a word more, out of habit or preference, doesn't mean they don't know other synonyms. That's just silly.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Sotiris, you're right about the plot shift being the cause, but I think part of it is that Ralph's own story (becoming accepted/no longer an outcast) has lost its impact because of how much its been used--and to better effect in many other films than here.
Of course the concept is overdone but I think it has more to do with execution. Think of how many protagonists in film share the same character arc and yet they vary significantly.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't think Ralph's tastelessness is from the change to Vanellope's story becoming the main one for a while. I think Ralph is bland in the nondescript way. Sgt. Calhoun is tough and barks orders. Fix-it-Felix is adorably goody-too-shoes. Vanellope is sweet, spunky and cute. Ralph is...big? Going through a crises? Well all the characters have their own crises too.

Oh, and another thing: In the end, Ralph still will visit Vanellope and all those he met, right? The ending almost made it seem like he couldn't/didn't.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Sotiris wrote:
estefan wrote: Of course the concept is overdone but I think it has more to do with execution. Think of how many protagonists in film share the same character arc and yet they vary significantly.
This. The concept of bad guy protagonist is slightly overdone, but the most notable incarnations have had unique execution. Ralph can actually fall into that category, but best comparisons are with Megamind(Supervillain faced with a mid-life crisis) and Despicable Me(Villain who just so happens to become a good guy in his quest for domination)

Ralph is the bad guy who's known no other role in life than the one he's detested for, so he more actively tries to become a "hero" early on rather than actively being the villain until something happens.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I Saw this commercial while watching Boy Meets World.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yH3YLcQxxmA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Just for fun.

<object id='A64060' quality='high' data='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ ... D=holidays' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' height='319' width='567'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='movie' value='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ ... ram><param name='scaleMode' value='showAll'></param><param name='quality' value='high'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'><param name='FlashVars' value='cornerRadius=10&external_make_id=MjZgMnrVSsuTkXdZN_arNw&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=holidays'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param></object>
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Polizzi wrote:Just for fun.

<object id='A64060' quality='high' data='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ ... D=holidays' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' height='319' width='567'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='movie' value='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ ... ram><param name='scaleMode' value='showAll'></param><param name='quality' value='high'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'><param name='FlashVars' value='cornerRadius=10&external_make_id=MjZgMnrVSsuTkXdZN_arNw&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=holidays'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param></object>
That was pretty funny! :lol: I love that site
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Polizzi wrote:Just for fun.

... What exactly am I looking at? :?

Mind you. I'm using my iPad right now.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wreck-it-Ralph is available for pre-order through Disney Movie Rewards

http://www.disneymovieshop.com/landing. ... Code=WR131
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

finally saw an ad for WIR cinema release here in nz. appears it will be opening dec 26. i will be at work, but will try and catch it afterwards. will have to see what the times are. the good thing is people will mostly be broke after xmas so the cinema should be on the quiet side.
big kid at heart