Aladdin's Deleted Songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Aladdin's Deleted Songs

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I considering making this a poll, but realized that there may be a discrepency in which songs you most like, and which ones you think would have worked. So my question is, of the 4 deleted songs we get on the DVD, which is your favorite and why? Where do the others fall? Which ones could have worked, if any?

You Can Count On Me
I don't understand why this wasn't used in the film. It's a great song and would have fit perfectly had they bridged it off of the "street rat, I don't buy that" diddy from Aladdin. It's probably my favorite of the four deleted numbers offered on the disc.

Perhaps they didn't want to further load the first half of Aladdin with songs (because nearly all the songs seem to lie in the earlier half).

Proud Of Your Boy
I wasn't all that impressed when I listened to it first- more because of my expectations of a knock-out ballad from Clay Aiken. On second listen to both the demo and Clay's takes, I found both of them to be great. I might even tie it with You Can Count On Me. I can understand it being taken out of the film, but I can also understand the reluctance to do so, given that it's a good song. Clay may not give his Unchained Melody-like performance here, but he delivers it well.

(I still don't understand why Ruben Studdard isn't singing A Whole New World on here. It's essentially the reason he won American Idol 2, and it was a fantastic performance).

Humiliate The Boy
It's a catchy song, but also carries a sort of odd feel to it- I'm not sure how in-place it would have felt. Of course, it's hard to judge, given that both tis and "Why Me" are based on abandoned storylines. I'm glad we have it here.

Why Me
I feel the same about this as I do about "Humiliate The Boy," only this one's sound is a little more in keeping with that of the rest of the film. I always like to see villains have songs, but I don't know that Jafar is destined to be exceptionally musical. As Luke observed in his review, this is really the forerunner for the Prince Ali reprise that Jafar sings in the final film. Even that reprise sounds slightly awkward, I think, but works overall. It's probably equally as good as this one. The difference is that this one gets old fast but continues to go on for a long time.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I think I'd pretty much agree with your rankings, but maybe have "Proud of Your Boy" first. Menken's version of that was quite good, and Aiken's version has grown on me a lot too. "You Can Count on Me" was lots of fun as well.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

"Humilliate the boy" was a good song but too long. And it really becomes catchy almost at the end. So I think it was a good idea to drop it.

"Why me" on the other hand was really good. Also a little long but I bet they could had make it shorter. I especially love when Jafar says: "Who's the master of the lamp?"

:twisted:

For the other songs I really don't care for them that much.

"You're only second rate!"
tinkerbell-cup
Gold Classic Collection

Post by tinkerbell-cup »

1. proud of you boy - one of teh best disney songs if it had been in teh movie
2. humiliate the boy
3. you can count on me
4. why me
tale as old as time
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Definitively Proud of Your Boy, first. The Duo was brilliant as always.
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin's Deleted Songs

Post by Sotiris »

I thought I'd make a list of the deleted Aladdin songs on the occasion of the Diamond Edition release of Aladdin. I've not included cut reprises or alternative takes of songs already in the film.

Count on Me (Lyrics: Alan Menken)
Story Reel (from Aladdin: Platinum Edition)
Demo (from The Music Behind the Magic)

Proud of Your Boy (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)
Demo (from The Music Behind the Magic and the Aladdin: Special Edition Soundtrack)
Story Reel with Clay Aiken's Recording (from Aladdin: Platinum Edition)
Clay Aiken Music Video (from Aladdin: Platinum Edition)
Clay Aiken Studio Recording (from Disneymania 3)
Scott Krippel Studio Recording (from Disney's Karaoke Series: Aladdin)
Instrumental (from Disney's Karaoke Series: Aladdin)
Adam Jacobs Studio Recording (from Aladdin: OBCR)
Adam Jacobs/Alan Menken Music Video
Adam Jacobs/Alan Menken Studio Recording (from Aladdin: OBCR)
Adam Jacobs Acapella Studio Recording (from Right Where I Belong)
Adam Jacobs Mashup Live Performance (from The Broadway Prince Party at 54 Below)
Reprise I (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Reprise II (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Reprise Studio Recording (from Aladdin: OBCR)
Darren Criss Music Video (from Backstage with Disney on Broadway: Celebrating 20 Years)
Yoshio Inoue Music Video (from Yoshio Inoue Meets Disney: Proud of Your Boy — Deluxe Edition)
Yoshio Inoue Studio Recording (from Yoshio Inoue Meets Disney: Proud of Your Boy)
Yoshio Inoue Live Recording (from Yoshio Inoue Sings Disney: One Night Dream! The Live)
Dean John-Wilson Music Video
Dean John-Wilson Studio Recording
Dean John-Wilson Live Performance (from BBC Children in Need)
Matthew Croke Music Video (from Aladdin: The West End Musical)
Matthew Croke Studio Recording (from Only Dreaming)
Matthew Croke Live Performance (from Musicals Stripped Back)
Matthew Croke Live Performance (from Build Series LDN)
Matthew Croke Live Performance (from West End Live)
Matthew Croke/Nick Afoa Mashup Studio Recording (from Only Dreaming)
Clinton Greenspan Live Performance (from The Musical Journey of Aladdin)

Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kasim (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)
Work Tape (from Howard Sings Ashman)
Live Performance (from Spotlight at the 5th Avenue Theater: Aladdin)
Studio Recording (from Aladdin: OBCR)

Call Me a Princess (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)
Work Tape (from Howard Sings Ashman)
Kerry Butler Studio Recording (from Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust)
Courtney Reed Live Performance (from New Day Northwest)
Courtney Reed Live Performance (from Spotlight at the 5th Avenue Theater: Aladdin)
Courtney Reed Live Performance (from The Broadway Princess Party at 54 Below)
Courtney Reed Live Performance (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Reprise (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)

How Quick They Forget (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)

High Adventure (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)
Demo (from The Music Behind the Magic and the Aladdin: Special Edition Soundtrack)
Live Performance (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Reprise (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Studio Recording (from Aladdin: OBCR)

Humiliate the Boy (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)

Why Me (Lyrics: Tim Rice)
Live Performance (from Spotlight at the 5th Avenue Theater: Aladdin)
Live Performance (from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical)
Studio Recording (from Aladdin Jr.)
Reprise (from Aladdin Jr.)

My Finest Hour (Lyrics: Tim Rice)
Story Reel (from DMA Aladdin: Diamond Edition)

Desert Moon (Lyrics: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul)
Deleted Scene
Studio Recording

Master of the Lamp (Lyrics: Tim Rice)

My Time Has Come (Lyrics: Alan Menken)

The Wazir's Song (Lyrics: Howard Ashman)

Hold On (Lyrics: Alan Menken)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Thank you so much for all of that Sotiris. Tracking down everything on Youtube is painful.

By the way, I'm just wondering, is there a comprehesive source that compiles all of the deleted scenes from Disney films (or just films in general)? The Disney Wikia has a category for them, but it doesn't include everything nor does it contain all of the sources like Sotiris' post does. I wish that there was a specific website for that. At least a Wiki, or something.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Thank goodness they deleted My Finest Hour. What a boring, slow song! Count on Me and Hold On are too cheesy. Lyrics aren't Alan's strongest suit.

Why Me? should have stayed in the Broadway show or the movie. The role of Jafar is lacking another song or two in both the movie & musical. Plus, that song is delicious.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tangled wrote:By the way, I'm just wondering, is there a comprehensive source that compiles all of the deleted scenes from Disney films (or just films in general)? The Disney Wikia has a category for them, but it doesn't include everything nor does it contain all of the sources like Sotiris' post does. I wish that there was a specific website for that. At least a Wiki, or something.
There isn't, unfortunately. That would be really useful. Although, if such a website existed, it would be difficult to include videos or music due to copyright reasons.
disneyprincess11 wrote:Why Me? should have stayed in the Broadway show or the movie. The role of Jafar is lacking another song or two in both the movie & musical. Plus, that song is delicious.
I agree. "Why Me" is the best one from the deleted songs for Jafar and it would have worked nicely both in the movie and the Broadway show.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alternative lyrics for the "One Jump Ahead" reprise have surfaced.

Source: http://samakaphyllis.tumblr.com/post/13 ... nyu-and-my
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Brad Kane actually had recorded Proud of Your Boy. Why hasn't it been released? They should definitely release a version with the original Aladdin singing; it's a no-brainer. It'd be cool if they would get Lea Salonga to record Call Me a Princess too.
Q: Did you ever record the song Proud of Your Boy, that was cut from the film?

Brad Kane: Yes, I did record that song. It wasn’t in the movie but they actually had me audition for the movie with that song so that was the first song I actually saying from Aladdin, but they cut it before we started recording for the movie.
Source: http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2015/10/ ... s-aladdin/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Whoa, I'd definitely love to hear his rendition. Sounds more like a demo recording or something part of his audition process rather than a recording session meant for production, but I'd still love to hear his recording (maybe set to the story reel?).

Hopefully if there's a second wave of The Legacy Collection, this track can be included along with all the song demos!

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

One of my ultimate Aladdin fan-dreams would be to see Menken and the surviving voice cast from the movie reunite to record an album with fully-orchestrated versions of every deleted song (Salonga for "Call Me A Princess," Freeman and Gottfried for "Humiliate The Boy," etc.). Hearing Brad Kane record "Proud Of Your Boy" is part of that fantasy. I'd love to hear this even in demo form.

Really, really hoping Aladdin gets a Legacy Collection set with all of this stuff.
- John
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Pasta67 wrote:One of my ultimate Aladdin fan-dreams would be to see Menken and the surviving voice cast from the movie reunite to record an album with fully-orchestrated versions of every deleted song (Salonga for "Call Me A Princess," Freeman and Gottfried for "Humiliate The Boy," etc.). Hearing Brad Kane record "Proud Of Your Boy" is part of that fantasy. I'd love to hear this even in demo form.
That'd be great for most Disney films, tbh (at least where all the singers are still living). It'd be great even to hear Brad/Lea singing "A Million Miles Away."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Have any Disney Movies Anywhere members here bought Aladdin yet? If so, would anyone mind posting exactly how long the whole video for "My Finest Hour" is (including the intro with Clements, Musker, and Goldberg)? The preview posted on YouTube only runs 2:02 with the intro, but we know there's more than that.
- John
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Pasta67 wrote:Have any Disney Movies Anywhere members here bought Aladdin yet? If so, would anyone mind posting exactly how long the whole video for "My Finest Hour" is (including the intro with Clements, Musker, and Goldberg)? The preview posted on YouTube only runs 2:02 with the intro, but we know there's more than that.
It is 8:25 on DMA including the intro.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

stevemcqueen wrote:It is 8:25 on DMA including the intro.
Thanks a ton! That's a huge help.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be that long. I'm gonna have to check this thing out.
- John
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris!! Thank you for compiling those videos!!!!!!!!!!! You just made some of us super-happy!