Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Rocketeers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 pm 
Collector's Edition

Quote:
Now that Disney’s troubled movie studio is under new management, our spies tells us that, curiously, one of the first properties to be developed for a feature film is a reboot of 1991’s thirties-set adventure film, The Rocketeer.

We say ‘curiously’ because while the property was actually a flop at the time, its similarity to the current Disney-Marvel cash cow Iron Man is more than a little striking: In it, a racing pilot named Cliff Secord (Billy Campbell) discovers a rocket-pack prototype in his stunt plane, hidden there by the gangsters who stole it from Howard Hughes; Secord tries it out, and, like Tony Stark, quickly discovers that a) flying without a plane is SO cool, and b) you gotta fight the bad guys (including Timothy Dalton, who two years prior had starred as James Bond for the second time) and save the girl (a luminous Jennifer Connelly).

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/disneys- ... oaded.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

More fucking remakes? Image

Make something original for fuck's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 pm 
Limited Edition

/\
|
|
|
Ditto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

Whoever wrote that has a broad definition of "striking similarity"

Beyond the surface level, that is.

anyway, hollywood's been filled with sequels and remakes since it's second year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:
Now that Disney’s troubled movie studio is under new management.

Yep, Disney really seems to be lacking in billion dollar-grossing hits...oh, wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 pm 
Limited Edition

While I wasn't completely blown away by the original film I still think it would be better for Disney to give it a small rerelease as opposed to a remake that doesn't guarantee any box office success. Even if the original was a flop at the time, it has since then become a cult classic so there's a new generation of fans that could be won over with the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Remake or sequel, I really don't care. I just want to see more Rocketeer movies! I have for the last 20 years.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

Post subject: Rocketeer remake
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Special Edition

The Rocketeer could, indeed, have a re-release in modern theaters. Disney remastered the movie and held a 20th Anniversary showing at their El Capitan Theatre in 2011. Then, they gave it a BluRay release.

I suppose if they wanted to attempt multiple movies, they'd have to start from the beginning -- Bill Campbell and everyone else is 20 years older!

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies from my childhood, and the soundtrack ties that of Star Wars: A New Hope soundtrack on my list!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:56 pm 
Limited Edition

'The Rocketeer' Reboot in the Works From Disney
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rocketeer-disney-movie-reboot-works-915037

Quote:
Walt Disney Studios is developing a reboot of the 1991 action-adventure movie, hiring Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to pen the script, which is being titled The Rocketeers.

The project, in the early development stages, is considered a sequel-reboot and, in a modern-day twist, will be headlined by a black female character.

Brigham Taylor, who produced The Jungle Book with Jon Favreau, is producing along with Blake Griffin of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers and Ryan Kalil of the NFL's Carolina Panthers. Griffin and Kalil are partners in a new venture called Mortal Media and approached Taylor with the idea for the reboot.

The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African-American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
'The Rocketeer' Reboot in the Works From Disney
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rocketeer-disney-movie-reboot-works-915037

Quote:
Walt Disney Studios is developing a reboot of the 1991 action-adventure movie, hiring Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to pen the script, which is being titled The Rocketeers.

The project, in the early development stages, is considered a sequel-reboot and, in a modern-day twist, will be headlined by a black female character.

Brigham Taylor, who produced The Jungle Book with Jon Favreau, is producing along with Blake Griffin of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers and Ryan Kalil of the NFL's Carolina Panthers. Griffin and Kalil are partners in a new venture called Mortal Media and approached Taylor with the idea for the reboot.

The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African-American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

That's NOT what I had in mind. :angry:

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney