DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm 
Platinum Edition

Which Disney songs speak to you the most? Not just songs that you like but ones you find relatable to your own life, personality, and experiences in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 pm 
Limited Edition

All the songs in Pocahontas 2. And Heaven's Light reprise since i can't get laid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
All the songs in Pocahontas 2.

All of them? How come?

thedisneyspirit wrote:
And Heaven's Light reprise since i can't get laid.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm still Here from Treasure Planet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 pm 
Gold Collection

Part of Your World, How Far I'll Go (reprise), I am Moana, Let it Go, A Dream is a wish Your Heart Makes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:56 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Reflection. Mainly because Mulan's inner conflict is quite relatable; You want to be yourself, but society won't always allow it. And it makes you feel torn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Reflection. Mainly because Mulan's inner conflict is quite relatable; You want to be yourself, but society won't always allow it. And it makes you feel torn.

Yes, very well put.

Also:
- Proud Of Your Boy - it's a shame this ended up cut because it's possibly the most beautiful song composed for Aladdin. As someone who lost his mother at a young age, this song really spoke to me and reminded me of all the efforts I put in my studies and work so my parents would be proud of me, even if one of them wasn't around.

- Let It Go - I mentioned it in another thread the other day that this was my "coming out" song that truly changed my life. I really struggled with my sexuality about ten years ago, but gradually came to terms with it. I came out to some of my immediate family members, but was years away from actually living my genuine life and dating. Then Elsa burst into the song and I was changed: I came out to all of my friends, finally started dating and today I'm in a long-term relationship.

- Good Company / Goodbye May Seem Forever - these songs remind me of my older cat. He's been with my family for almost 14 years now, and having his silly ass around really helped cushion some life's blows. I absolutely dread the eventual moment I'll have to say goodbye to him and whenever I hear these songs I get a lump in my throat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am 
Platinum Edition

Kyle wrote:
I'm still Here from Treasure Planet
This, definitely.

"Very Good Advice" ~ If a Disney song was my theme song, I feel like this would be it. :lol:
"Let It Go" ~ Those lines about slamming the door on people and being able to be who you are without constantly thinking about them are the ones I'm thinking about.
"Part of That World" ~ The longing for the experiences that things can't give you.
"All Good Things Must End" (deleted song) ~ I like the matter-of-fact quality of the lyrics, with a dash of bitterness.
"God Help the Outcasts" ~ Although I'm not quite the saint that Esmeralda's character is ("I ask for nothing") :lol: , I do relate to the rest of the song.

I can identify with the lyrics to "Reflection," too, as cheesy as that is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:
All the songs in Pocahontas 2.

All of them? How come?

Because London is silly and filled with singing people.

JK aside, I guess I can relate to Pocahontas theme, "Where do I go from here", of all. My life often always seems to go in different directions and I often just have to go along with it, even if I'm not ready or sure I want my life to go that way. I do learn and grow along the way, though, so I suppose it's not all that bad.

And yeah, Treasure Planet's song as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mooky wrote:
Yes, very well put.

Aaaaw, thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 am 
Platinum Edition

Cool stories Mooky! I am so glad you have found love with someone now!

I'm going to say...sort of a "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" because I think if you keep believing it will keep you working on your dream to make it come true and I think of that sometimes...and I just like wishing and dreaming.

"Heaven's Light". I've never had a long-term relationship. I only want to be with the perfect person for me, but I think I have to wait for heaven for that, but I would still like a relationship here on earth first, and maybe they could be my soul mate, who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 am 
Limited Edition

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - this song has really resonated with me recently. It's been a difficult year for me and there have been so many times that I think I don't have it in me to continue on but this song bolsters in me the strength to keep on believing and have faith that one day everything will turn out right.

Part of Your World - my favorite Disney song ever. I've always loved it but this is another one that has come to apply to my life most recently, for better or for worse. I just hope that one day I can be part of that world.

If I Never Knew You - all the Disney love songs have been getting much play in my room lately but this one I can't get out of my head. For my own love life, this one seems to apply the most. There are times that I think that love isn't worth all the pain and heartbreak it brings but then I listen to this song again and I realize that I would be a far emptier person if I had never loved. Sure, I wouldn't have had heartbreak but I also wouldn't have experienced the most beautiful memories I've ever had in my life. Just like how good comes paired with evil and light with dark, joy and sadness come together too and love is tinged with both of them. As tragic as things may seem sometimes, I can't help but feel that the real tragedy would be never having known the other person at all (as tempting as that can seem at times).

@Mooky - I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your mother at such a young age. Losing a parent is hard at any time but especially in your youth. I'm sure you would have loved to have had her by your side especially when you came out. If a family member is truly loving and supportive of your sexuality, there can be nothing more fulfilling than that. I'm glad you've found happiness with someone! It gives me hope that the rest of us can someday find it too.

@DisneyDuster - love your choices! Obviously you and I picked one of the same ones, but I love Heaven's Light too. I completely understand what you mean by the fact that sometimes you think you'll only find your true love and soulmate in Heaven. That's something I've begun to wonder as well recently, if I'll only ever find the person I love in the afterlife and never here on this Earth. I hope that's not the case for either of us, but if it is, I hope that like Cinderella our spirits won't be broken and we'll continue to have faith in the future, however distant it may be. We just have to have courage and be kind, a line I've been repeating to myself so often now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 am 
Platinum Edition

Awesome words and awesome choices, JeanGreyForever. I'm really sorry about how sad you've been feeling about love, but like you said, it's better to have loved than never at all. I just listened to "If I Never Knew You" in full, it was beautiful. Thanks for sharing in some of my sentiments about finding our soul mates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:19 am 
Gold Collection

Follow Your Heart from Cinderella 2: Dreams come true.

I want to break out at as an creative children's illustrator. This inspires me to get down to business and try and try again until a suceed. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mooky wrote:
As someone who lost his mother at a young age, this song really spoke to me and reminded me of all the efforts I put in my studies and work so my parents would be proud of me, even if one of them wasn't around.

I'm so sorry to hear about it, Mooky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:23 am 
Platinum Edition

I forgot to say I especially relate to in "Heaven's Light" how Quasimodo sees people in love and wants that and also how someone nice to him gives him hope for care from them.

I'm going to add "Out There" to songs I relate to because as someone with autism I relate to wanting to be like the "normal world" in the sense of "getting", well, understanding things and having relationships, friendly or romantic. I am lucky to have really great friendships, though! I just know I'm not "the same" as everyone in how I relate to the world.

DisneyBluLife wrote:
Follow Your Heart from Cinderella 2: Dreams come true.

Oh my God I LOVE that song!!! It doesn't really relate to me that much but I just love that song.

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 am 
Special Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
I'm going to add "Out There" to songs I relate to because as someone with autism I relate to wanting to be like "normal world" in the sense of "getting", well, understanding things and having relationships, friendly or romantic.

I'd never realised this. Out There is one of my favourite songs to screech along to, there might be a connection there. Interesting. I'll have to mull it over :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 am 
Limited Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Awesome words and awesome choices, JeanGreyForever. I'm really sorry about how sad you've been feeling about love, but like you said, it's better to have loved than never at all. I just listened to "If I Never Knew You" in full, it was beautiful. Thanks for sharing in some of my sentiments about finding our soul mates.

I forgot to say I especially relate to in "Heaven's Light" how Quasimodo sees people in love and wants that and also how someone nice to him gives him hope for care from them.

I'm going to add "Out There" to songs I relate to because as someone with autism I relate to wanting to be like the "normal world" in the sense of "getting", well, understanding things and having relationships, friendly or romantic. I am lucky to have really great friendships, though! I just know I'm not "the same" as everyone in how I relate to the world.

I'm glad you enjoyed listening to If I Never Knew You. It's a beautiful song, albeit bittersweet. Totally a mistake to cut it from the movie.

I've been finding Quasimodo incredibly relatable lately as well. Not just Out There but also his part in In a Place of Miracles, the stage adaptation version anyway. There's a beautiful part where Esmeralda sings about how she never believed she would find love so she pretended not to care for it. However, now that Phoebus is in her life both of them don't need to have a heart of stone anymore, while Quasi sings in the background about how it would be better to have a heart of stone. It's strange how I can relate so well to Quasi's part here even as I wish that I was in Esmeralda's place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:54 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever, Disney Duster, DisneyFan09: thank you for your kind thoughts. Life doesn't always go smoothly or the way we want it to, but if there's one thing I've learned -- an overplayed piece of advice as it may be -- is as long as you're surrounded by people who love you and continue doing things you like, it soothes the soul and frees the mind. I know Disney films were vital in helping me deal with emotional issues growing up. And later on, when you take a proactive role in your life and begin making your own decisions, in your own best interest, good things will surely come.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:08 am 
Platinum Edition

Nandor wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:
I'm going to add "Out There" to songs I relate to because as someone with autism I relate to wanting to be like "normal world" in the sense of "getting", well, understanding things and having relationships, friendly or romantic.

I'd never realised this. Out There is one of my favourite songs to screech along to, there might be a connection there. Interesting. I'll have to mull it over :)

Hm, that is interesting! The song obviously means something to you.

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Totally a mistake to cut it from the movie.

Definitely!

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I've been finding Quasimodo incredibly relatable lately as well. Not just Out There but also his part in In a Place of Miracles, the stage adaptation version anyway. There's a beautiful part where Esmeralda sings about how she never believed she would find love so she pretended not to care for it. However, now that Phoebus is in her life both of them don't need to have a heart of stone anymore, while Quasi sings in the background about how it would be better to have a heart of stone. It's strange how I can relate so well to Quasi's part here even as I wish that I was in Esmeralda's place.

Oh my God, listening to that song from the Papermill show reminded me that's a freaking great song! What an interesting juxtaposition of your two feelings in that song.

Mooky wrote:
as long as you're surrounded by people who love you and continue doing things you like, it soothes the soul and frees the mind.

Very good advice, and I've really never heard exactly that before, so thank you for it.

Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.