Aladdin on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rubyslippers
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin Coming to Broadway!

Post by rubyslippers »

Atlantica wrote:With all this shows success, I hope Disney revisits Mermaid sooner rather than later :up:

How is it doing comparatively to Mermaid as well, money / tickets - wise?

And big time congrats to everyone for the Tony nominations!
Do you mean on Broadway? They already kind of revisited with the version they premiered that's now available for licensing through MIT (https://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000389) so I don't know if they'll end up bringing it back. :(

A quick comparison for the first few weeks after the Broadway opening (not previews) for both shows. Aladdin opened on March 20th 2014 and TLM opened on January 10th, 2008.

Aladdin Week #1: 13,782/13,760 seats sold
Aladdin Week #2: 13,783/13,760 seats sold
Aladdin Week #3: 13,779/13,784 seats sold
Aladdin Week #4: 13,786/13,784 seats sold
Aladdin Week #5: 13,797/13,784 seats sold
Aladdin Week #6: 13,790/13,784 seats sold

TLM Week #1: 12,044/12,024 seats sold
TLM Week #2: 11,137/12,144 seats sold
TLM Week #3: 10,698/12,144 seats sold
TLM Week #4: 9,679/12,144 seats sold
TLM Week #5: 10,017/12,144 seats sold
TLM Week #6: 10,698/12,144 seats sold

The Little Mermaid picked up steam in March/April, probably due to spring breaks, and usually sold 10,000-12,000 seats up through September of 2008. You can tell when schools were back in session because it went from selling 12,134 seats the week of August 31st to 8,416 seats the week of September 7th! And remained between 8,000-10,000 for almost the rest of the year, with a few weeks that saw spikes upwards of 11,000+. (Weekend of Thanksgiving and weekend of Christmas.) It wavered between 8,000-10,000 up until April of 2009, when it picked up steam again and hovered between 10,000-12,000 with occasional lower weeks up until closing in August of 2009.

It's hard to say which is/will be more successful because it's so early in the game for Aladdin. Right now it is among the top 5 grossing shows on Broadway, which is definitely something!
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Wow! The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had left, but I guess there aren't that many new musicals each year anymore so it's not hard to get nominated for something.
LADY Image CLUCK
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

They won't go back to Mermaid, they'll head straight into Frozen where the $ $ $ $ $ is.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Vote for Aladdin at the Audience Choice Awards. Voting ends on Sunday, May 18 at 11:59PM.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rubyslippers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rubyslippers »

New Broadway snow globe available from the Disney Store

http://www.disneystore.com/aladdin-the- ... 5/1000345/

Won't be buying it, though. To me the figures look strange (almost like those things you buy and put into water to watch them grow) and I'd rather have had a music box version of Proud of Your Boy instead of Friend Like Me.

Also... less than two weeks until the digital cast recording release!! :D
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

rubyslippers wrote:Also... less than two weeks until the digital cast recording release!! :D
And speaking of which:
1. Overture
2. Arabian Nights
3. One Jump Ahead
4. One Jump Ahead (Reprise)
5. Proud of Your Boy
6. These Palace Walls
7. Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim
8. A Million Miles Away
9. Diamond in the Rough
10. Friend Like Me
11. Act One Finale
12. Prince Ali
13. A Whole New World
14. High Adventure
15. Somebody's Got Your Back
16. Proud of Your Boy (Reprise)
17. Prince Ali (Sultan Reprise)
18. Prince Ali (Jafar Reprise)
19. Finale Ultimo
20. Bonus Track: Proud of Your boy (Adam Jacobs w/ Alan Menken on piano)
21. Bonus Track: Genie Medley (James Monroe Iglehart & Adam Jacobs w/ Alan Menken on piano)
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
rubyslippers wrote:Also... less than two weeks until the digital cast recording release!! :D
And speaking of which:
1. Overture
2. Arabian Nights
3. One Jump Ahead
4. One Jump Ahead (Reprise)
5. Proud of Your Boy
6. These Palace Walls
7. Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim
8. A Million Miles Away
9. Diamond in the Rough
10. Friend Like Me
11. Act One Finale
12. Prince Ali
13. A Whole New World
14. High Adventure
15. Somebody's Got Your Back
16. Proud of Your Boy (Reprise)
17. Prince Ali (Sultan Reprise)
18. Prince Ali (Jafar Reprise)
19. Finale Ultimo
20. Bonus Track: Proud of Your boy (Adam Jacobs w/ Alan Menken on piano)
21. Bonus Track: Genie Medley (James Monroe Iglehart & Adam Jacobs w/ Alan Menken on piano)
Thank you.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

rubyslippers wrote: Also... less than two weeks until the digital cast recording release!! :D
That sucks. The physical album won't be out for another two weeks after that, I guess, so it'll be a while before I hear what all of you are. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

They should have included "Call Me a Princess" as a bonus track.
rubyslippers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rubyslippers »

Cast recording sneak peeks!!

A Whole New World and High Adventure: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/19/aladd ... exclusive/

Friend Like Me and A Million Miles Away: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ericafutterman/ ... -the-new-a
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Well, Lady Cluck, you are about to eat your words when you see Aladdin. Because Aladdin was FANTASTIC! :dance: It was just so beautiful with the sets, costumes, orchestrations etc. It was so much fun and I was smiling through out. I liked the three thieves, who were hilarious! A Whole New World was so beautiful. I will not spoil it, but wow! Everyone went insane when they started to fly.

The actors were perfectly match. I don't get the Courtney Cox hate, I thought she was great as Jasmine. Don as Iago was HILIARIOUS! Iago as a human actually worked fine with cute references as the Genie. It was a huge treat, seeing Jonathan as Jafar! He was a huge highlight. :) And of course: James M. Iglehart as the Genie. He was absolutely PHONEMAIL. Wait until FRIEND LIKE ME. The whole place gave him a standing ovation. And actually at dinner, a guy whom I presumed was a Tony voter or a Tony source told us that James is a huge favorite for the Tony. So, out of the 5, it looks like it'll only win Best Featured Actor for James. And it's too bad it has competition for Best Musical, Aladdin DESERVES it.

At the stage door, everyone was late because of a Q&A, but my dad has a big hospital appointment for a surgery, so we had to leave early. :( Thankfully, as we were going to leave, both James and Adam came out. They were both nice. James was like a cuddly teddy bear. :D And actually, some kids really wanted to meet the Genie and Aladdin, but they had to go home. So, the bus drivers waited all this time and James went to the bus to see the kids. :) I presumed Adam went too. But, sadly we had to go after those 2, so I missed Jonathan. :( :( :(

And as a bonus, Thomas Schumacher stood RIGHT next to me before the show. But, he as talking to someone, so I couldn't say hi. :P

So, yes: SEE ALADDIN! We also saw Cinderella, which was wonderful as well. Fran was great as the Stepmother, but Carly Rae Jepson...well, she was better than I thought. Her acting and dancing was great, but her singing... :facepalm:
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I hope it wins a Tony for Best Musical. I found this article that the author thinks Aladdin will win a Tony for Best Musical http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/t ... ney-702629

I know the competition is risky like Gentlemen's Guide, but sometimes, you never know what happens at the Tony Awards. :wink:
rubyslippers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rubyslippers »

If you can't wait until Tuesday for the digital iTunes release, The Disney Music Store has the cast recording up :)

http://disneymusicstore.com//Page.aspx? ... 9ce86ff0b9

It doesn't have the digital booklet, though.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I was just going to post that! :D Ordering it right now
rubyslippers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rubyslippers »

I couldn't resist either! It's really a gorgeous cast recording... everything down to the smallest orchestrations are a treat.

I will say I am VERY pleasantly surprised by the Genie Medley bonus track. I thought it would just be a live recording of Iglehart singing Genie's songs, but it's actually Iglehart singing excerpts from Disney songs. Maybe this was a session where they were trying to figure out what songs to include in the Friend Like Me Disney medley? He sings lengthy excerpts from Go the Distance, Kiss the Girl, Gaston and a little bit from Zero to Hero!

One thing comes to mind: I would LOVE a (recorded, of course!) concert of Iglehart singing Disney songs.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, I've literally checked by iTunes a thousand times and I see nothing concerning the Aladdin cast recording! Not even a preorder thingy!! :(
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Ugh, this won't even open here in Brazil.
I hate living here :huh: :cry: :cry: :cry:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, I've literally checked by iTunes a thousand times and I see nothing concerning the Aladdin cast recording! Not even a preorder thingy!! :(
It's out. :)

My highlight: The 'genie medley' where Alan Menken and James Monroe Iglehart go crazy on a few of Menken's classic Disney tunes is truly awesome. Hercules gets some much deserved love. :D

Menken needs to do another WDAS score and somehow incorporate this guy into the movie. But I doubt upper management will allow that from ever happening again. The Lopez's are their new, albeit inferior, darlings.

All in all, a much better adaptation of the original music than Mermaid.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

PatrickvD wrote:Menken needs to do another WDAS score and somehow incorporate this guy into the movie. But I doubt upper management will allow that from ever happening again. The Lopez's are their new, albeit inferior, darlings.
I can picture James in Giants as the giant who befriends Jack. He's a huge Disney nerd, so it seems like voicing the new "Genie" would be just the icing of the cake for him. :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote:Hercules gets some much deserved love. :D
My favorite part.

And while on that topic, I really don't expect Menken to be put in charge of a Disney film again, sadly. If he is, I'll be gratefully surprised. At least he has the Broadway versions of his older works to fall back on. And he did get a bone with that new ABC show, Galavant. So there's that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"