DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Just visited disneystore.com and was just browsing through the "New Arrivals" section as I tend to do periodically, and it would seem that within the past couple days, Disney has added hundreds, yes hundreds of DVDs to the online store. From some newer bluray combo packs, to old school Disney Afternoon DVDs, to Walt Disney Treasures, to classic live action stuff that I've never heard of - its all stuff that had not previously been available through disneystore.com.

Any speculation as to where these DVDs are all coming from? Why all of a sudden? Do you think they're trying to get a final big push for DVDs before they start focusing more heavily on digital sales? Do you see any titles that you find interesting? Is it stupid to be speculating about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 am 
Special Edition

I don't know if I have any answers or any personal speculation, but looking at the prices on some of those DVDs and even some of the Blu-ray combo packs, some of those are seriously way overpriced! Ouch, who would buy that coupled with the high shipping and handling Disney Store usually tacks on?? (unless you happen to get a free shipping promo, but even still)

Some of the Blu-ray combo packs even had a lower price previously on the site. It looks like they increased the price on just about all of them.

Last edited by KACENAID on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 am 
Special Edition

Wowza! I am surprised (and happy) to see all these DVDs come out of the woodwork. Thanks for sharing!

August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yeah, the pricing is definitely unfortunate. Maybe they are planning a big DVD sale soon? One can hope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am 
Limited Edition

The prices certainly have me scratching my head. Why is Bolt (Blu-ray + DVD) $39.99 while the Bolt (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) is also $39.99? Those two should not be the same price. One is a 2-Disc the other is a 3-Disc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am 
Limited Edition

I know this shouldn't be here but since its kind of related...

As we all know, the Disney new releases on Blu Ray come alongside the DVDs with the same cover art in most parts of the world.

Because of this, what Disney is doing (in Spain and probably in other countries in Europe) is just re-releasing the old DVDs and selling them as if they were new ones with new transfers and extras.

For example...

Before, it was really hard to just happen to find a Pocahontas DVD.

The Blu Ray comes along and suddenly lots of DVDs also.

I decide to check the back case and see the exact same features and lack of a real widescreen ratio like before.

...the same DVD.

Really...really low blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Bob Iger wants to scrap DVD's and Blu-ray's for digital, but I think it is safe to say we have a few years to go before that happens.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney