Hocus Pocus 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Hocus Pocus 2

Post by Disneyphile »

Exclusive : Disney developing sequel to <i>Hocus Pocus</i>

Any fans of “Hocus Pocus”, the 1993 flick starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy as three vacuum-riding witches doing battle with trick or treaters on their night of their resurrection? What about you? Yes! You! The one trying to pop the nose wart with the dislodged F5 key on his iPad console? You liked it, didn’t ya?

Actually, I remember liking it too. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it since it was a new release rental in the local video library – this is going back some fifteen years or so – but I do recall it being a fun family flick. And if I’m not mistaken, introduced me – and several other ‘What is happening to me?’ readers – to the rather foxy Vinessa Shaw (who would go on to play a much more saucier role in Stanley Kubrick’s “Eyes Wide Shut”).
http://moviehole.net/201255392exclusive ... ocus-pocus
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Well, that's unexpected.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I relish te thought!But only with original cast!!Bring your brooms out of the closet ladies, Dust of ' the book' and recast your spell!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If it is with the original trio .... I cannot think of anything more wonderful!

Bette has said quite a few times it is her favourite of all her own films, so I think she will 100% be there.

All together now, "Booooooooooooook!!"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Uhhh, what? This is strange. Considering that the witches die at the end, I guess this will have to be a prequel and not a sequel. It's going to be interesting to see if this actually takes shape since it's been 20 years since the original film.
Last edited by TheSequelOfDisney on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Maybe the witches can be revived or something, I would like a sequel, if with original cast :)
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

The working title: "Rise of the Elderwitch" suggests that at least Winnie should return, since she is the eldest.. It may also refer to a brand new Witch that comes to suburban America.. I'd like to think it is the mother of the sisters teaching them new tricks from beyond the grave.. And that somehow something went terribly wrong and she turned her husband into " the book"She then asks them to join forces to revive him and bring new terror into the worldBut hey.. I'm no writer.. As you can easily tell by my ramblingsI just adore the Divine Miss M and all the enthusiasm she brought to this and any other of her movies! If she is not set to return than I will turn Warlock on Disney's ass!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Uhhh, what? This is strange. Considering that the witches die at the end.
NOOOOOOOO! Spoiler! :cry: I haven't seen the film yet.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Jules wrote:NOOOOOOOO! Spoiler! :cry: I haven't seen the film yet.
Oh, my goodness, I'm sorry Julian!! I changed the font to white. Sorry :(
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Oh my gosh. We should not have to be wary of spoilers for a twenty year old movie. That's silly. That would be like changing the color every time we talk about the Beasts transformation scene, or the fact that the dogs make it home in Homeward Bound.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Ummmmmmm, I agree. I don't think anyone should have to put a spoiler warning on a nearly 20 year old movie. Just sayin'

As for a sequel, it could be a lot of fun, but it could also be some awful DTV type thing that only shares the title. Disney seems to be digging into their cult archives lately (Tron) to jumpstart "new" franchises.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Oh, my goodness, I'm sorry Julian!! I changed the font to white. Sorry :(
Oh, it's OK. I won't die of grief. :D

Regarding the spoilers ... well, the beast's transformation scene is so well-known that it'd be very unlikely for a member here to not have watched it as part of Beauty and the Beast. Hocus Pocus, is, in my opinion, far more obscure. And as someone focused on animation, I haven't seen it. In fact I've only seen very few Disney live-action films.

As for the film's age, what difference does it make? I'm sure there must be many people who still haven't seen Casablanca, but intend to see it eventually. Why is it more acceptable to spoil an older film?

By the way, I think the current DVD cover for The Sword in the Stone is the ultimate spoiler. :P
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I understand not wanting to be spoiled (you're right that age doesn't matter in this regard), but expecting everyone else to cater to those few who haven't seen it is ridiculous. At this point, it's up to YOU to remain spoiler free if you so choose to. Not us. Don't read the thread if you don't want to be spoiled, simple as that.

I would never in a million years go into a thread about Casablanca and expect everyone to be wary of spoilers if I had never seen it. I simply wouldn't read it until I had seen the film.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Oh OK, I guess. Next time I'll avoid certain threads ... or suffer in silence. :P

I want a hug now.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

No hugs. Only spoilers. :twisted:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope this is a sequel/prequel, and not some lousy remake with a 2 attached to the title. If Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy aren't involved, they would have to cast someone amazing for this not to be awful.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Uhhh, what? This is strange. Considering that the witches die at the end, I guess this will have to be a prequel and not a sequel. It's going to be interesting to see if this actually takes shape since it's been 20 years since the original film.
No amount of CGI in the world could make Sarah Jessica Parker look young enough for a prequel.

That said, the original film is pretty awful. Why a sequel? Because we need more fairytales?

Just stop this.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

PatrickvD wrote:That said, the original film is pretty awful. Why a sequel? Because we need more fairytales?

Just stop this.
I whole-heartedly disagree with the bolded. My Halloween wouldn't be complete without watching Hocus Pocus, and it's certainly one of my favorite Disney films. It's hilarious, highly-quotable, and makes for a good time.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

The only way this decision is respectable is if Bette Middler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy all return. I'll be legitimately impressed if they get the original three teens (now adults) back, but one step at a time.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Hocus Pocus when first released was not a big money maker, but managed to develop a regular following in video sales and TV broadcasts, which is likely why someone in Disney is pitching this idea. However, I doubt a sequel all these years later would justify the likely high costs of producing another special effects (probably CGI heavy, 3-D etc.) heavy movie for the studio. Even with the original cast, I would also be skeptical of its general story-telling quality too. I say Disney should look into doing something else.