The Sword in the Stone (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

The Sword in the Stone (Live-Action)

Post by Mr arrow »

does anyone else remember dick cooks announcement over a year ago??

Well over a year ago, disney pictures announced they were going to film a live action version of sword in the stone (not to be confused with the touchstone-bruckheimer arthur movie already in production). Along with abaret quartet, it looked like this would be disney's entry into the harry potter style live action franchise. Im curious if anyone knows anything about this movie- the last I heard it was being filmed in Prague, but all stories were very low key, and its hard to find anything about this production- with all that magic, wizards and dragons this really could be disney's harry potter if handled correctly.
Papa Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Papa Bear »

I have not eard anything about this but it definatly sounds cool!!!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Ewww, no! I'm not very fond of the Sword in the Stone *AT ALL*. If Disney wants to get hop onto the "Harry Potter-style" bandwagon, they should make big budget versions of the Chronicles of Narnia. THAT would earn them millions upon millions of dollars, and the merchandising ideas would be endless.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

actually that chronicles of narnia thing might happen sooner than expected. walden media has the rights to make films out the entire series and has announced that they are planning to make live action films of them all starting with (ironically) the lion witch and the wardrobe which is the second in the series. they are currently looking for a big time distributor with which to make the movie with. for those of you who don't know, walden media is the group that made Holes with disney (which i haven't seen yet, but heard phenomenal and amazing things about). reports say that disney is the top contender for walden media, but i'm not sure when/if an official announcement would be made, but i'll bet that production gets started on those movies by early next year. especially with the success of Holes.

however, i think a live-action version of sword in the stone would be awesome. i doubt if disney would go for a musical version via the animated movie, but the possibilities are endless. the legend of king arthur doesn't confine itself to that which was shown in the animated movie, but rather disney would be able to take liberty with almost any angle they wish to pursue. maybe merlin originally was going to teach arthur magic instead of just regular knowledge?....interesting idea, but i haven't heard anything about this movie before i read this post. i wonder if there is a place to submit story ideas for disney? i'm sure we could come up with some great ones.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well here's the full King Arthur legend Le Mort d'Arthur as you can see it's pretty big. :lol:

The legend of King Arthur, Merlin, Morgan Le Fey etc has many, many possibilities - and if Disney did want to start a 'franchise' (God, how I hate that word) "The Sword In The Stone" (as a title only) would be the ideal starting point - telling the tale of the young Arthur and how he was choosen to be king. I doubt any live action "Sword In The Stone" would have anything more than a passing similarity to the animated film.

Thinking about this, I actually think that this is a good idea from Disney. Good well respected source, lots and lots of story potential (even if they do just limit the films to a teenage Arthur).

I think Disney are onto something...
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

That's exactly right! From my recollection of the studio announcement, disney still retained the rights to TH White's original story, and it was from that resource that the film would be based, not the 60's animated film-(which bears very little resemblance to it ). But he (T.H White) had written a series of books inc the "once and future king". Apparently Warners have bought all the rights to the remaining T.H. White novels, which just left disney with the first novel. This could potentially mean two different studios releasing 'sword' movies in the not too distant future... ..I for one hope they go through with it, as I read the original novel years ago and it really could be an excellant vehicle for disney.....
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

I think that's soo cool. I hope they make both the Sword movie(s) and the Narnia movies. I've been waiting for years for someone to make some good modern quality movies out of the Narnia chronicles, especially now with the popularity of the Rings trilogy and the Potter movies!!! :twisted:
Stitch

The Sword in the Stone... Live Action???

Post by Stitch »

Recently while reading a magazine I had seen that The Sword in the Stone was in production by disney and they were making it live action. I just about fainted, because it's one of my favorite Disney classics. Does anyone know any information on this such as when it's being made or even released... and if anyone knows who is playing in it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Meega Nala Qweesta!
herman_the_german
Gold Classic Collection

Narnia & Excalibur

Post by herman_the_german »

You guys don't mention them, so I do not know if you are aware of them.

Wonderworks' The Chronicles of Narnia is available on DVD. And it is pretty good, thought the SPFX are cheap. An OOP VHS of the animated version of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe also exists, and you can get it on Ebay or Half.com.

And of course Camelot (1967) is the second part of the story initiated by Sword in the Stone", both pretty much complete White's The Once And Future King. Camelot is also available on DVD.
...two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

My DVD Toon Collection
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The sword in the stone live action

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like the live-action adaptation of The Sword in the Stone is back on track.
Disney is revisiting its 1963 animated fantasy The Sword in the Stone, putting into development a live-action remake. Brian Cogman, a writer-producer on HBO’s fantasy Game of Thrones, has been tapped to pen the script for the project, which will be produced by Brigham Taylor.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ake-809845
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: The Sword in the Stone Live-Action Film

Post by disneyprincess11 »

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!! Gosh, how many are they doing?!?!?!
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

As much as I enjoy the original animated film, I think that this would really benefit if Disney would be willing to go for a more direct adaptation of The Once and Future King, give or take a few welcome nods to their first take. Given the director's pedigree, and the original's relative lack of icon status, this might actually happen.

I've vowed against Disney's new interpretations of their animated films after Alice in Wonderland, but this is something that I could see myself going to if done well.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Gosh, how many are they doing?!?!?!
A lot. :P I've made a list to keep track.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@Avaitor: This is supposed to be based on TSitS which is before TO&FK. I mean, I would be very surprised if this movie wasn't completely different (aka, more serious) than the animated film, but the book is still about Arthur's time before he becomes king and Merlin teaching him. This would have to get a sequel before they went into TO&FK.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Disney's Divinity wrote:@Avaitor: This is supposed to be based on TSitS which is before TO&FK. I mean, I would be very surprised if this movie wasn't completely different (aka, more serious) than the animated film, but the book is still about Arthur's time before he becomes king and Merlin teaching him. This would have to get a sequel before they went into TO&FK.
Isn't The Sword in the Stone simply the first part of The Once and Future King, though?

I actually wouldn't mind if we get some material that comes after The Sword in the Stone.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:@Avaitor: This is supposed to be based on TSitS which is before TO&FK. I mean, I would be very surprised if this movie wasn't completely different (aka, more serious) than the animated film, but the book is still about Arthur's time before he becomes king and Merlin teaching him. This would have to get a sequel before they went into TO&FK.
Isn't The Sword in the Stone simply the first part of The Once and Future King, though?

I actually wouldn't mind if we get some material that comes after The Sword in the Stone.
It is. TF&FK is a collection of T.H. White's four books about the Arthur legend, The Sword in the Stone being the first part.

I don't believe that Walt had any plans to adapt the rest of the books, even though the film was a pretty decent hit, but if this is the direction Disney wants to go in, maybe they can go where he never went.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote: Isn't The Sword in the Stone simply the first part of The Once and Future King, though?

Maybe in the sense that Philospher's Stone is the first part of the Harry Potter series, but they're still individual books? :? Checking Wikipedia, I guess for most people they are all in one book. The books I own are The Sword in the Stone and then one huge novel O&FK with the rest, so I suppose that's where I'm confused.

But arguing details. I wouldn't mind if they went into O&FK, but I'd rather they wouldn't name it The Sword in the Stone if that's the case, because the book with that title is not Arthur's story while king. Why not just call it TO&FK if they just plan to do the general Arthur story?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Escapay

Re:

Post by Escapay »

Disneykid, twelve years ago! wrote:Ewww, no! I'm not very fond of the Sword in the Stone *AT ALL*. If Disney wants to get hop onto the "Harry Potter-style" bandwagon, they should make big budget versions of the Chronicles of Narnia. THAT would earn them millions upon millions of dollars, and the merchandising ideas would be endless.
disneyfella, twelve years ago! wrote:actually that chronicles of narnia thing might happen sooner than expected. walden media has the rights to make films out the entire series and has announced that they are planning to make live action films of them all starting with (ironically) the lion witch and the wardrobe which is the second in the series. they are currently looking for a big time distributor with which to make the movie with. for those of you who don't know, walden media is the group that made Holes with disney (which i haven't seen yet, but heard phenomenal and amazing things about). reports say that disney is the top contender for walden media, but i'm not sure when/if an official announcement would be made, but i'll bet that production gets started on those movies by early next year. especially with the success of Holes.
Truer words have never been spoken.

It's always fun to revisit an old thread and seeing how much actually came true!

As for the current, live-action remake that's been announced, I'm looking forward to it. Disney's dabbled with the Camelot legend enough times in the past, so I don't really have any problem with this latest iteration. And enough time has passed since the BBC series "Merlin" ended that I'm aching to seeing the story retold once more.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Avaitor wrote:I've vowed against Disney's new interpretations of their animated films after Alice in Wonderland, but this is something that I could see myself going to if done well.
If you don't see the live-action Cinderella too, you're missing out.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

On a recent visit to the Harry Potter studios, there were huge sets erected on the outside spaces in the grounds, all looking very medieval....we asked what they were filming, and they said its Arthur / Sword In The Stone remake ?! :? So just presumed this was all underway, but clearly not !