Zira's suicide

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Zira's suicide

Post by Jay »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoctlRyGdf8

I came across this and I wondered if others have seen it. It's pretty eerie. I wonder how much controversy there would have been if they kept it in the movie.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Zira's suicide

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I doubt there would've been controversy outside maybe a few complaints called in. The fact that the suicide would've been by the villain would've made it less outrageous to people, I think.

I wish they'd have kept it in, although I don't mind what they went with (or were forced to go with instead, as the case may be). The suicide would've completed the picture of the Scar followers being something akin to a cult. Kovu's upbringing and Kira's song alone are pretty creepy. :huh:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

It could've created some havoc, I guess. But since Zira is the villain, the buzz wouldn't be near as much as if a protagonist or a sidekick would've done it.

Having taken a peak on the scene in the movie itself, it never shows the final moment where Zira slips from the rock. So it does leave open for theories that she could've killed herself. But hence that she's was not being able to cling to the rock anymore, those conspiration theories are not that valuable.

Taking consideration of my previous rants about the flaws of Simba's Pride (weak writing, sparse character development), Zira's characterization is also an evidence of that. Unlike several Disney villians, Zira actually shows slightly signs of multidimensionality. She had the potential to be a more complex character. Unfortunately the script nor the movie allows to expand her characterization and she becomes underused, as with her development.

There are several Disney moments that I've considered as controversial. I've ranted about Brother Bear before, that it stresses the message of forgiveness, yet the fact that it also adresses that to love the murderer of a parent. And that's indeed... odd. And how about the very non-subtle seduction in Hercules?

And btw, it's notable that the deleted scene uses the track from the Stampede in the first movie.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

wow that would have been something. I dont think it would have caused much controversy though b/c:
1-she's a villain
2 she's not a human
3- she's unattractive

if this had been say, Hans, then maybe...
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

i never understood why Kovu wasn't Scar's son. didn't make any sense to me cuz of how Scar obsessed Zira is.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

For some reason I thought he was Scar's son. Or maybe it had just been heavily implied (Kovu seeing Scar's reflection in the water the same way Simba saw Mufasa), but they didn't actually say as much in the dialogue. Oh, well, I always thought he was Scar's son since Zira was part of Scar's pride.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 pm For some reason I thought he was Scar's son. Or maybe it had just been heavily implied (Kovu seeing Scar's reflection in the water the same way Simba saw Mufasa), but they didn't actually say as much in the dialogue. Oh, well, I always thought he was Scar's son since Zira was part of Scar's pride.
see this is exactly what I thought. Hence why Simba is so afraid of him and why Kovu is a dead ringer for Scar even down to the scar he gets from his mother at the end. Really weird how they went all the way to make it seem that way but didn't fully make it true
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They didn't make Kovu Scar's biological son because that would make him and Kiara first cousins once removed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage