DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Emperor's New Groove
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 am 
Collector's Edition

Couldn't find a discussion dedicated to the movie in general, so I created one instead.

Why wasn't the movie a bigger hit? Saw it for the first time a couple of years ago, and I think the problem is that the audience have no idea what they are looking at. Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Snow White obviously take place in some European country centuries ago. But what about The Emperor's New Groove? Well, it seems to have something to do with the incas, but other than that? We have no idea when this is supposed to be or what kind of world it is. The emperor wants water parks, has rollercoasters and Kronk's clothes also look suspiciously modern. Also, Pacha has a wagon, but incas didn't use wheels. Then there is the weird diner where they are served gigantic bugs, and later when the guards are transformed into weird creatures it turns into something from Looney Tunes.

(The backgrounds also seem a little minimalistic and stylistic at some places. But a little experimentation doesn't hurt. The next features, Atlantis and Lilo & Stitch, also used an art style which we normally don't associate with Disney, while Treasure Planet used almost as much CGI and traditional animation.)

That's the major problem the way I see it; people are not sure what they are looking at and because of that, it is hard to relate to the story. The same thing happened with Speed Racer, even if it isn't a Disney movie. A lot of people outside America and Japan had never heard about the cartoon when the live action movie was released. So they had absolutely no idea what they were looking at; is it the future, a parallel world, an alternate history or something else? What kind of world is it, why is racing so important? And so on. It would probably have worked better if they used some Star Wars inspired opening crawl (and to exclude the kid and his chimp).

Either way, the movie was not bad, even if it wasn't perfect either. But when you release a movie, the audience should always be able to tell what kind of world it is you are showing to them. If not, it leaves them confused, and as a result, it will probably have a negative impact on how it is received.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:34 am 
Limited Edition

It's obviously set in the Incan empire, pre the Spanish conquista, but obviously given some funny elements here and there to make it work as a comedy. Anachronism Stew TVTropes calls it (i hate recalling that dumb site, but it's the closest thing I can call it).

Though I'm not surprised that the film initially didn't go good. Aside from the designs and backgrounds there's very little peruvian/incan culture thrown in (white american liberals will probably get angry at this, even if they think Peru is just an extension of Mexico), making Peruvians uninterested in the film, but as for the rest of the world...*shrug* Esp. since the mainstream seems to eat up like nuts any dumb wacky comedy that's thrown at their faces.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 am 
Collector's Edition

I think "Anachronism Stew" makes it a little too surreal, especially in a non-magical setting. Merlin in Sword in the Stone and Genie in Aladdin had some modern day references, but those specific scenes makes it a little easier to accept, especially in Aladdin. In Hercules, when he show us a modern action figure, is just seems out of place. In The Emperor's New Groove, it's an essential part of the plot since the emperor wants to build his water parks, which becomes important for his relationship with Pacha. And Kronk is wearing his hat and clothes all the time, not just in a funny chase scene.
Sleeping Beauty just wouldn't be the same if Maleficent relaxed after a long day by listening to radio.

Considering the next movie, Lilo & Stitch, made an effort to show some Hawaiian culture and had artists visiting the islands to find inspiration, it does sound weird that a movie about incas focus on mostly on design and little else. Sure, it's a little difficult to visit incan culture since it no longer exist, but it still feels like a strange product of its time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Don’t have time to write in length.

The anachronism in TENG is intentional and perfectly acceptable because it fits the narrative style of the film. It is useless to compare it to more “logical” examples of anachronism as in Aladdin or Sword in the Stone. It doesn’t need to make sense. You just have to accept it and enjoy it.

I agree that Maleficent would not look right listening to the radio. However keep in mind that Sleeping Beauty is an epic and dramatic film with a serious ambition to amaze. It also comes complete with matching Tchaikovsky music.

TENG is a farce. Stop taking it seriously. With a film like that you have the opportunity to run wild and not limit yourself in any way. So it takes place in the time of the Incas who didn’t use wheels but there’s a cart in the film. So what? So Kuzco wants to build a waterpark. Well, I believe him and I’m OK with it. This is not a documentary on Incan history. So the guards turn into Looney Tunes-style animals at the end. What’s the problem? This is not Pocahontas or Bambi.

I say the film would have failed creatively had it not taken advantage of these liberties. As it is I think it is a marvelous achievement especially when considering the behind-the-scenes hell and drama of the production.

Also I’m glad we got TENG and not Kingdom in the Sun. We didn’t need another epic and dramatic Lion King-style musical in 2000. God bless Mark Dindal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm 
Collector's Edition

Well, like I mentioned in the first post, for me it only made it confusing since I didn't know what I was looking at, if it was the past or the present or something else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am 
Special Edition

So i think i got a good idea for a live action retelling ofthis Disney movie that would still be fresh.

So it’s a live action reimagining of the Empires New Grove that starts a few years earlier than the original. And it retells the story from Yzma point of view with Bette Middler , Barbra Streisand or Carol Burnett playing Yzma in the movie while actress Carol Kane from the Princess Bride narrates the whole movie as present day Yzma. And the movie tells the supposedly true story of what happened and how Yzma was really a misunderstood hero and Kuzo the Villain.

However here is the big crux of the movie. While the narrator( present Yzma) and the movie Keeps insisting she was really the hero and this what really happened. It’s obvious to the viewer that Yzma is either twisting what really happened or just make stuff up which would be the big joke of the whole movie.

This Yzma spin off would a spoof of movies like Maleficent and Cruella and Stories like Wicked that turn the Villain of pre existing story Into the hero.

But it would also be a satire on Fans of certain media who sometimes try to argue the Villain was right all along pr even the true hero of the story.

One of the most utagagest cases being Black Panther fans who say Michael B Jordan’s character. In evil terrorist was right all along.

But the movie would also be a subtle commentary on how media sometimes turns criminals to heroes in the public mind.

It would be based something well know, But still be fresh, very funny and slightly topical !

The whole package

My Choice for Director would be Barry Sonnenfeld who excels in twisted comedies and often World with Patrick Warburton the original voice of Krock which would be a sure fire way to get Warburton to reprises his ionic role from the original. Of course with some deagening CGI Effects Since he is older and part of the story is a prequel.

The movie with be similar in tone to the two 90s live action Addams Family movies, the Netflix show , A Series of Unfortunate Events and Edward scissorhands. However I wouldn't hire Tim Burton because his style wouldn’t what imagine this movie to be and getting Robert Stromberg would be too obvious and I believe he has Zero directing experience in feature films outside Maleficent.

For the tittle i have two ideas. One : simply call the movie Yzma and have a similar logo and title font to The upcoming Joker movie and make the posters look like it's going to be serious character study of Yzma or call it Yzma’s New Groove and exactly the same logo as the original movie but purple and created the original movies poster but with Yzma instead.

And i even have trailer ideas Use a dark cover of either Snuff of The Light or Perfect World like Lana del Rey's cover Once Upon a Dream or use an existing song but with a completely different context than the original and use the songs lyrics to ironically to just pose what happens in the trailer.

I think it would be funny if even trailers and internet spots made the movie look like it is going to be a serious dramatic Oscar bait movie about the psychology of Yzma even if doesn't manage to actually fool anybody into actually thinking that. Just the idea of e serius Royal Intrigue movie or historical drama but with Yzma would be hilarious within itself.

That is my idea for a live action Emperor's New Groove i think it’s a rather clever one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Oh come on, don't drag Wicked down, that one is genuinely good. And I'm interested in what the Joker movie will be, if anything because I'm tired of superhero movies being so predictable and childish.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:34 pm 
Special Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Oh come on, don't drag Wicked down, that one is genuinely good. And I'm interested in what the Joker movie will be, if anything because I'm tired of superhero movies being so predictable and childish.

LOL. You got it all wrong. Ilove Wicked too and Joker is my most anticipated movie of the year. But you can still satirize and parody stuff you like. In fact Mel Brooks said it's best if you love what you parody.

Who would doubt Mel Brrok's oppinon on the subjectt of comdey. I just meant a ight spoof and really goods ttuff can be the subjectt of satrie too.

I just thought since Emperor's groove was a comedy to start with using it's remake to parody a current hollywood and fiction trend would be fitting and also i have no idea what you could really do with an Yzma movief otherwise and love Yzma so i silll really want her to get a spin off !

I am proud of my iea in fact i think itis clever and both capilze on the orgginal whilie still being fresh.

I even mostly liked Maleficent besides the bad casting choice of Sharlto Copley and the way they mishanald the three good fairies.
And i doinät mean make them useless trhatä's actually a clever i mean majing to of them younfg instead of old women for no reason at all.

Also i wish thry hadn't meshed so much with movie in reshoots. After bad test screeings 20 minutes of the movie where cut and a whole begining was shoot in eight days by John Lee Hancock. Beacuse the test audince disliked the frist 20 minutes of the movie and Disney cared enough to change Maleficent's whole back story and scarp the orgianl frist part of Linda Woolverton's screenplay all together.