DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Following the news that both Pocahontas and Chip ‘n’ Dale will be made into live-action features, we’re now hearing that Disney is also planning to give Treasure Planet the same treatment. As with some of these other projects that we’ve reported on, it’s only in the very early stages of development, but it’s said to be on their list of films that they’re hoping to remake at some point in the near future.

The choice is an interesting one, too, considering that the 2002 animated movie was a total box office bomb. Although critics praised it, audiences were decidedly less enthusiastic. The flick only netted $38 million in the United States against a $140 million budget. Despite being a financial flop though, the film still earned a nomination for Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards. Disney is likely under the impression then that the property can find a wider audience this time around. They’ll likely assemble a cast that’s just as impressive as the original, too, if not more so.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tre ... ks-disney/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If this is from the same source as Pocahontas, I guess this is just a baseless rumor as well.

I've always felt though that this film was before its time and would have been better appreciated in later years, especially after the popularity of the steampunk genre. I think Tom Holland would be a better choice for Jim here than Milo actually.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:15 pm 
Collector's Edition

Of all the movies they could turn into live action, I think this would be a weird choice. Personally I think the trailer was responsible for the flop. You had the young rebel cliché, skateboards and everything else that made the impression that Disney tried a little too hard to make the movie look hip and cool, especially the scene when he closes his eyes and falls down from great height to show us that he is living on the edge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMHpiVDEXY). The movie itself was actually a lot better than that once he enters the ship, even if I didn't see the point with the facial mole.
(Some also felt there was too much CGI, but that won't matter in live action)

If they had done the first part of the movie a little different, and made a better trailer, it would probably have done a lot better. Just my theory. Should they ever actually do a remake, get rid of the bad boy attitude in the intro.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Of all the movies they could turn into live action, I think this would be a weird choice. Personally I think the trailer was responsible for the flop. You had the young rebel cliché, skateboards and everything else that made the impression that Disney tried a little too hard to make the movie look hip and cool, especially the scene when he closes his eyes and falls down from great height to show us that he is living on the edge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMHpiVDEXY). The movie itself was actually a lot better than that once he enters the ship, even if I didn't see the point with the facial mole.
(Some also felt there was too much CGI, but that won't matter in live action)

If they had done the first part of the movie a little different, and made a better trailer, it would probably have done a lot better. Just my theory. Should they ever actually do a remake, get rid of the bad boy attitude in the intro.

If I'm correct, they were trying to evoke James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 pm 
Collector's Edition

In my opinion, that was a huge mistake. Like I said, teenagers may have felt Disney was trying too hard to speak their language, and many parents probably didn't felt like it was the kind of movie they wanted to see with their kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

The initial trailer was great, the reason I didn't bother seeing it was...I guess there was virtually no other meaningful marketing after that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
In my opinion, that was a huge mistake. Like I said, teenagers may have felt Disney was trying too hard to speak their language, and many parents probably didn't felt like it was the kind of movie they wanted to see with their kids.

I was just a child when this film came out and I can agree that there was no appealing element for kids from the marketing. I used to watch new Disney films religiously in theaters but this and Home on the Range were the only DACs I skipped.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 am 
Limited Edition

The only add I saw for it was maybe a poster at McDonalds or the theater or Blockbuster...Just not very heavy promotion in comparison to stuff like toys in cereal, trailers in TV, etc etc...

In comparison Peter Pan 2 had more merchandise.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 pm 
Platinum Edition

I would love if this actually happened. Like I said in the other thread, this and Atlantis may not be confirmed, but I can definitely believe Disney is looking at films they could re-make as multiple-film franchises. I’m sure both Aladdin and TLK will birth live-action trilogies.

The problem is the same as I speculated in the Atlantis thread, that science fiction films don’t seem very popular considering both of these flopped back then and so did Disney's attempt at bringing TRON back to life. I would love if they re-made this and it somehow managed to be a hit. I hate that the animated film actually had a TV series and sequel planned only for both to get slashed. It’s one of the few Disney films I actually would’ve liked to have seen more of back when they were in their cheap DTV phase. And a part of me would love if M&C's one animated film that wasn't a hit (whether modest or large) ended up becoming one in live-action form. If something like that were to happen, I imagine it would give the animated film new life, too, in the same way that some older films became bigger over the years than in their first release. I've always seen the re-makes as--aside from easy cash--a way for Disney to re-invigorate interest in their properties...

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Of all the movies they could turn into live action, I think this would be a weird choice. Personally I think the trailer was responsible for the flop. You had the young rebel cliché, skateboards and everything else that made the impression that Disney tried a little too hard to make the movie look hip and cool, especially the scene when he closes his eyes and falls down from great height to show us that he is living on the edge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMHpiVDEXY).
I think the ads on TV are what killed it. Even I--someone who ended up loving (parts of) the movie when I finally saw it--thought it looked stupid. My memory of the time it was released was that all the commercials seemed to feature the flatulent alien. The whole thing just came across gross-looking, about like how a lot of Dreamworks movies were. Sort of like how Tangled was advertised almost as if it was Flynn's movie, with all the music and story with Rapunzel / Gothel hidden. They might as well just have a sign that says "Girls Not Wanted." In the '00s, I still watched the new Disney films when they came out on VHS even though I was embarrassed being a teenager and because most people hated Disney at the time. TENG and TP both surprised me when I finally saw them, because they looked soooo bad.

Ariana Grande ~ "God is a woman"
Jessie Ware ~ "Pieces"