DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlantis Live-Action?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

This is from the same publication that reported the Pocahontas remake so take it again with a grain of salt.

Quote:
We Got This Covered has been informed that Disney is working on a remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire with Spider-Man actor Tom Holland being eyed as the lead. The original was released in 2001 and, though it’s fondly remembered by those who enjoyed it as kids, it’s fair to say that it’s not considered one of the studio’s finest animated efforts. It was also something of a box office flop at the time.

However, this might be an occasion when a live-action remake is completely warranted. Maybe with a bankable star like Holland attached and a story that should have widespread appeal, cinemagoers will flock to see this mythical action/adventure movie on the big screen. In fact, due to its relative lack of familiarity with audiences, Disney might be free to create something more distinct from the original than with other remakes.

That said, the intention is presumably to stick fairly close to the animated film as we’ve been told that Holland is being eyed to play Milo Thatch in the movie. A geeky Smithsonian cartographer who’s whisked off on an expedition to Atlantis, the character was voiced by Michael J. Fox in the animation. Thanks to the awkward charm he brings to his portrayal of Peter Parker, it’s easy to see how Holland could be an exciting choice for the role and as soon as we hear more about Disney’s plans for Atlantis: The Lost Empire, we’ll be sure to let you know.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tom ... ke-disney/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, my my. Since Disney has pretty much swapped this movie under the rug, I thought a live action remake of this would've been unheard of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

I can definitely believe this would do better in live-action than in animation. Then again, it could always flop the same way the TRON franchise did. I think the science fiction angle is just not very popular for whatever reason, and that's why both this and Treasure Planet bombed back when despite being good films. Who really knows though. Holland as Milo would be absolutely perfect casting and would be worth the attempt if nothing else. :up: I wonder if they'd use the original Atlantean language that was created for the animated film; it would be nice to see that given new life, since the original film never received much fanfare.

I hope they go through with this, just like with the Prydain series and the Lost Years of Merlin series. This story in particular would be wide open to change and do original things with. The only things I do hope they keep the same are the main character and the visual of the Atlantean princess becoming combined with the Heart of Atlantis and glowing blue. Maybe also the Leviathan guardian.

Maddie Poppe ~ "Not Losing You"
Celine Dion ~ "A New Day Is Dawning (Radio Remix)"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This I don’t believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Q: Wait does this mean it’s really being made into a live-action?

Skyler Shuler: Sadly, no.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 8539255810

Quote:
Q: Does this confirm that Atlantis is in pre-production?

Skyler Shuler: No.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 0085771264

Quote:
Q: Why though?

Skyler Shuler: The movie is not in development, so he can’t be up for a role that isn’t even in the works.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 1554490368

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:04 pm 
Platinum Edition

This was only a rumor anyway. I do think they're looking at potential properties they could resurrect to create not only one-off remakes but franchises out of, a la Aladdin. They'll probably make a trilogy out of the new The Lion King, too.

Maddie Poppe ~ "Not Losing You"
Celine Dion ~ "A New Day Is Dawning (Radio Remix)"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 pm 
Limited Edition

If Atlantis is considered a Bomb, what do you call the rest of WDAS 2000s features? When Dinosaur, "CGI characters with Live-Action backgrounds" reminds me of a certain movie coming out this week, & Chicken Little are your highest grossing features for a 10 year stretch, you know you've got some problems. The only real Hit from this decade is Lilo & Stitch, it's domestic run was similar to mid-90s Renaissance features, also, it's low budget. Worldwide though, no so much :|

Attachments:
9oi76890).png
9oi76890).png [ 43.34 KiB | Viewed 866 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That reminds me of this infographic featuring Disney's top ten highest grossing animated films from the 90s-2000s. Like you, I was shocked to see Chicken Little and Dinosaur (and even Bolt) feature on here. What surprises me though is how Brother Bear didn't make much less than Lilo & Stitch and the budget was almost half of Stitch's yet it's considered a flop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:38 am 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Earlier today, we reported that Disney is developing a live-action remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, based on the 2001 animated film of the same name. Spider-Man star Tom Holland is being eyed to play protagonist Milo Thatch and what’s more, our source also informs us that the Mouse House has Guillermo del Toro in mind to direct the movie.

Of course, del Toro fans will know that just because the director’s name is attached to something, it doesn’t mean he’s necessarily going to end up making it. After all, he’s notorious for having a long list of unmade pics and aborted projects behind him (see: Hellboy 3 and Justice League Dark) So, all we’re saying here is that Disney would like the Oscar-winning filmmaker to helm their remake, but it remains to be seen whether he’d actually be interested in taking on the job.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/gui ... re-remake/

Guillermo del Toro wrote:
No. Not true.
Source: https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1150982249262792705

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Why does "We Got This Covered" seem to be getting a kick lately out of starting false rumours and reporting obviously fake scoops?

Oh, right. Clicks.