DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 5414
Location: UK
Just caught this before Ralph; what a beautiful short. Doesn't quite catch the emotional depth of Little Match Girl, but was lovely none the less.

Held the children's attention in the cinema as well, which was quite something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 4266
Location: Malta, Europe
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Held the children's attention in the cinema as well, which was quite something.


That's interesting, since the short feels more adult-centric than usual Disney fare. By "adult-centric" I don't mean that there's anything inappropriate for children in it, but that the love story of George and Meg is likely to resonate more with young adults and older adults than with kids. Even minor characters like the mean-looking boss will be more recognisable to adults (who may have once had an asshole superior).

Did you by any chance catch any comments regarding the fact that it's black and white?

And PatrickvD, thanks for the article! It divulges some more of the secrets of the making of the film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm
Posts: 1812
I hope it wins an Oscar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 4266
Location: Malta, Europe
I'm torn. Like Sotiris, I feel that both Adam and Dog and Head Over Heels are superior films, but the WDAS fan in me really really really really really (I mean, really :P ) wants the studio to win its first Oscar in a really long time.

Perhaps I feel that way because while, as before stated, I do agree with Sotty (ooh, new nickname!) on the ranking of the films, I am by no means unenthusiastic about Paperman. I liked it very much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6862
If The Longest Daycare wins I will be quite shocked and depressed.

_________________
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 4266
Location: Malta, Europe
disneyboy20022 wrote:
If The Longest Daycare wins I will be quite shocked and depressed.


The Longest Daycare was sweet and made me smile, but it hardly seems Oscar-worthy. I don't think it will win.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:59 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 16532
Jules wrote:
Like Sotiris, I feel that both Adam and Dog and Head Over Heels are superior films.


I can't believe someone agrees with me on this! :D

Jules wrote:
The WDAS fan in me really wants the studio to win its first Oscar in a really long time.


I want that too but only when they truly deserve it. Personally, I find that their '00s shorts such as John Henry, Destino, One by One, The Little Matchgirl deserved an Oscar much more than Paperman does.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
I do agree that thematically Adam and Dog and Head Over Heels are better "films". But I feel they should also take into consideration other aspects of filmmaking: appeal, technical skill, innovation... I think Paperman takes the prize in every category except story.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 5414
Location: UK
Jules wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Held the children's attention in the cinema as well, which was quite something.


That's interesting, since the short feels more adult-centric than usual Disney fare. By "adult-centric" I don't mean that there's anything inappropriate for children in it, but that the love story of George and Meg is likely to resonate more with young adults and older adults than with kids. Even minor characters like the mean-looking boss will be more recognisable to adults (who may have once had an asshole superior).

Did you by any chance catch any comments regarding the fact that it's black and white?

And PatrickvD, thanks for the article! It divulges some more of the secrets of the making of the film.


There was just complete captivation all around; I think maybe the fact it was black and white at once caught the children's attention. There was a total hush over the entire cinema of evenly split children and adults. The only sound was a collective 'awwww' at the end. Was such a joy to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:34 pm
Posts: 4813
Location: The Netherlands
Jules wrote:
And PatrickvD, thanks for the article! It divulges some more of the secrets of the making of the film.


You're welcome. I thought it was the best explanation of the technique I've seen thus far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Jules wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Held the children's attention in the cinema as well, which was quite something.


That's interesting, since the short feels more adult-centric than usual Disney fare. By "adult-centric" I don't mean that there's anything inappropriate for children in it, but that the love story of George and Meg is likely to resonate more with young adults and older adults than with kids. Even minor characters like the mean-looking boss will be more recognisable to adults (who may have once had an asshole superior).

Did you by any chance catch any comments regarding the fact that it's black and white?

And PatrickvD, thanks for the article! It divulges some more of the secrets of the making of the film.


Not to mention it was animated.

It seems with this, the frankenstein segments of OUAT, Frankenweenie and others, B&W is making a bit of a comeback. I think to some extent people are more interested in B&W than the crazy colors we always get in animation.

There was just complete captivation all around; I think maybe the fact it was black and white at once caught the children's attention. There was a total hush over the entire cinema of evenly split children and adults. The only sound was a collective 'awwww' at the end. Was such a joy to see.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Orange County, California
In case anyone is interested, Paperman is now available for download on Amazon Instant Video

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BENM4JC/thehomeimprovemz

I know it's currently available for free on YouTube but who knows how long Disney will keep it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
Thanks RyGuy! I wonder if they'll put it up on iTunes. I would totally buy it there, just to support it.

Edit: Also, it's being featured right now on Hulu's home page! Go Paperman!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Orange County, California
SWillie! wrote:
Thanks RyGuy! I wonder if they'll put it up on iTunes. I would totally buy it there, just to support it.


I'm not sure. I just acquired an iPad (my first Apple product ever) last week, so I need to start reorienting myself to iTunes and away from Amazon. Old habits die hard :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 16532
New interview with the director of Paperman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwN79t3_QR8

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
Thanks for posting! The interviewer is a little weird lol. It's kind of an awkward interview, but some good bits in there.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:35 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 16532
Quote:
Paperman was scored by Canadian Christophe Beck, except for the end sequence, which John sought in depth to express in just the right way. For this he went to Disney’s music editor Earl Ghaffari, who in turn recommended A&E, a piece by British duo Goldfrapp. An upbeat, modern sound building up to a sense of urgency, it nonetheless fits in beautifully with Paperman’s black and white retro look.

John also took the opportunity to explain a bit more about the film’s visuals. None of the sets or props were modeled, although one might at first assume so from the picture’s seamless look. All flat geometry, plus semi-transparent brushes were used to paint right over the frames, allowing him to push and pull the values, arriving at the most realistic look for the piece. The paper airplanes utilized a vector program on top of hand drawn backgrounds.
Source: http://www.awn.com/blogs/oscar-tour-tra ... s-at-pixar

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
At first I took that as them actually using the existing song as the last part of the soundtrack. After listening to the song, I see it was inspired by it. I'm not really sure why it says "except for the end sequence" though. Am I being stupid?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 16532
John Kahrs said that he's already working on his next project which is going to be another short film. It's currently in the storyboarding phase. He didn't comment on what medium the short will be in or when it will come out.

Do you think it's going to be the short attached to Frozen?

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
I'd like to think so! Isn't the short that's supposed to be in front of Frozen the one that Hullett mentioned is "hand drawn, but not in the traditional sense" or something like that? It certainly sounds like it could be the same one that Kahrs is discussing.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group