Into the Woods (2014)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Into the Woods (Disney-film)

Post by Tangled »

Big Eyes
Comedy or Musical
IMDB Page for Big Eyes wrote:A drama about the awakening of the painter Margaret Keane, her phenomenal success in the 1950s, and the subsequent legal difficulties she had with her husband, who claimed credit for her works in the 1960s.
A biographical movie about a man taking advantage of his wife is so funny.

I definitely get Birdman being considered a dark comedy, but wow, Tim Burton's directing doesn't automatically make Big Eyes a comedy.

If Adams was nominated for drama though nobody would think twice of her though because it was such a hard category this year. Still, the drama-bias is strong, which is a huge shame, considering that Globes is the only awards show that actually bothers to remember comedies. Besides audience choice-type awards shows, this was really the only big chance the Into the Woods had for an actor's award. I doubt Streep will win an Oscar, considering that she's already won so much and ItW is a comedy-fantasy-musical being lumped in with the Oscarbait drama hard-hitters. I was more impressed by Emily Blunt anyways, since I wasn't expecting as much from her. She really deserved this one. :(
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Lady Cluck wrote:Well the increasingly vile Amy Adams robbed Emily Blunt of the award. She was fine in Big Eyes, but really nothing special. She played it straight and there was nothing remotely comedic, memorable, or interesting about her performance. They just gave it to her because of who she is, even though she won the same damn award last year. I am beyond SICK of her :angry:

So Meryl is going to be the only actor to be nominated for an Oscar after all. It'll probably be nominated for production/costume design too.
Why do you always sound so angry?
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Tangled wrote:
Big Eyes
Comedy or Musical
A biographical movie about a man taking advantage of his wife is so funny.

I definitely get Birdman being considered a dark comedy, but wow, Tim Burton's directing doesn't automatically make Big Eyes a comedy.

If Adams was nominated for drama though nobody would think twice of her though because it was such a hard category this year. Still, the drama-bias is strong, which is a huge shame, considering that Globes is the only awards show that actually bothers to remember comedies. Besides audience choice-type awards shows, this was really the only big chance the Into the Woods had for an actor's award. I doubt Streep will win an Oscar, considering that she's already won so much and ItW is a comedy-fantasy-musical being lumped in with the Oscarbait drama hard-hitters. I was more impressed by Emily Blunt anyways, since I wasn't expecting as much from her. She really deserved this one. :(
Some bookstores placed Edward Scissorhands under comedy. :P
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Edward Scissorhands is a comedy, much more than Big Eyes anyway.
Why do you always sound so angry?
Don't confuse confident passion for anger.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Honestly, the only thing that surprised me about the Golden Globes was reading Patricia Arquette won over Meryl Streep. Not just because I think Streep is above most other actors, but I've always found Arquette pretty awful. She is nothing but dead eyes and mumbled speech. I'm happy for Amy Adams though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh I absoltely LOVED this !!!!

I've not seen the show or anything like that; I knew of it but had never seen heard it. I started to listen to the original Broadway recording but stopped as I wanted to go in fresh and I'm so glad I did ! Was quite blissful to see a Disney film and not know a lot about it prior to going in.

The songs and score were just breathtaking; it has now become my favourite of all his works. Standouts were 'On The Steps Of The Palace', 'Stay With Me', 'Agony', 'Moments In The Woods', 'Last Midnight'.

Cast were superb; Emily and Meryl were the obvious standouts, but my heart melted for Chris Pine ..... My word :wink: I wasn't expecting his take on the character which is what made him even more delicious to watch. I have to say the children were irritating though; barely audible in some parts due to high pitched shrieking and very stage - school. Just didnt do anything for me.

Sets and the woods themselves were gorgeous; nice to not be beaten about the head with CGI for once. You could tell they were actual sets and actual woods. Was lovely to see on screen.

I loved it so much even though I'm broke...will be going to see it again ! And download the soundtrack too :)
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Three Oscar nominations for Into the Woods!

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Laura Dern, Wild
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Into the Woods
Mr. Turner

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Into the Woods
Maleficent
Mr. Turner

I'd say it has the best shot at Costume Design. Patricia Arquette is a lock for Supporting Actress and I'd say Grand Budapest Hotel is the favorite for Production Design (both very deserving having seen both).
LADY Image CLUCK
MadasaHatter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MadasaHatter »

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Nice cover!

And well deserved nominations as well. Meryl won't beat Patricia, but I'm glad she was nominated. So many people are sick of her being nominated every year, but if the performance is good it should be nominated, regardless of how many nods one already has.

That snub for The Lego Movie though.... my oh my...
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I finally saw this movie last night.

It was very faithful to the original version. The only immediate song I know that was taken out was a reprise of Agony. Which is annoying because the princes in this movie are so dramatic when they sing the first time that I wanted to see them, let's say, bare their soul the second. :wink:

And Chris Pine's prince. My goodness what a guy. I think his voice altered every scene, from "normal" to (an admittedly sultry) deep tone. But I prefer him over Billy Magnussen any day, who looks too silly for my tastes. (Rapunzel's prince is apparently a biker, considering that outfit he was wearing.)

Jack in this movie was very adorable. And I am very grateful they got a child to play this role, and not an obvious adult male like in the original. (Seriously, the original made me laugh whenever Jack, supposedly a child, was acting. He was taller than the baker in that version. Although if you look at Jack in the original, perhaps he was intended to be special. But I digress.)

I know it's completely silly, but I loved how Little Red Riding Hood's Grandmother in this movie lived in a literal tree house. (Or at least, we get to see the inside and see how the structure works.) Kinda a small touch, but it does make the characters seem more quirky, even if they are secondary. If this were a LRRH movie being animated by Disney, it would be one of those unique touches that works with the narrative. But it works here, too, on a visual scope.

I dunno what I'd rate it. It's definitely better than what Rotten Tomatoes scores it, I feel.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Trailer for the Blu-Ray (it includes a small clip of the deleted song)! Click here.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Trailer for the Blu-Ray (it includes a small clip of the deleted song)! Click here.
Perfect !

Such a shame it was deleted :(
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Rob said the exclusion of this new song made 'Last Midnight' more powerful and Meryl agreed with him.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Longer clip of the deleted song! Click here. God, that was great! I still can't believe how misunderstood this film was.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I thought it was received well ?

And wow gorgeous song !!
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

By the critics, yes. By the general audience, no.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh, really ? I enjoyed it very much !
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sounds like it could be a great song, if it has more lyrics with meaning later. Like why will she be back...

Was this film a big success for Disney?

So I recently watched Boyhood. Meryl Streep was way better than Patricia Arquette and should have won over her...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Into the Woods blu ray press release; http://www.thehdroom.com/bluray/disneys ... art-86940/

I'm actually shocked that it's going to include a Audio Commentary. The recent Disney releases have lacked a Commentary, so I'm baffled, to say the least.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Into the Woods blu ray press release; http://www.thehdroom.com/bluray/disneys ... art-86940/

I'm actually shocked that it's going to include a Audio Commentary. The recent Disney releases have lacked a Commentary, so I'm baffled, to say the least.
All of Marshall's films have included commentaries on their DVD/Blu-ray releases (except for Annie, I think).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/