Rank the princesses in terms of popularity

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Rank the princesses in terms of popularity

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Disney Duster wrote:Pocahontas wasn't on Sofia the First because she is based on a real person and to include her in that fantasy world may create an uproar.
So a sleepover with her dressed in modern clothes with other princesses at a website inside a computer is fine then. rotfl
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:I don't remember Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, or Belle being in Disney Infinity! I need to know about this. And Tiana should be included a lot more with the much bigger population of black Americans we have, but mostly because she's a real princess. But I think Pocahontas wasn't on Sofia the First because she is based on a real person and to include her in that fantasy world may create an uproar.
They weren't playable characters but the game had something called townspeople which were NPCs that walked around. The first game included Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, and Jasmine, while every playable character also had a townsperson so Rapunzel, Elsa, Anna, and Vanellope got ones as well. The second game included Aurora, Mulan, and Giselle as townspeople and of course Merida got one from being playable. There was a headquarters/hub which included a garden room for the princesses. Each princess had a special plant that when approached by its respective townperson, would transform. For example, Snow White had an apple tree, Cinderella had a pumpkin, etc. Vanellope was included in this although not Giselle. Anyway, Pocahontas and Tiana never got townspeople in any of the three games, so they also weren't included in the princess garden.

BTW Aurora was in a lot of concept art for the first game. Back when they had more classic characters like Simba, Aurora was meant to be playable in her Briar Rose dress. Belle was meant to be included in the fourth game but it was her live-action version along with Beast.
DisneyBluLife wrote:
So a sleepover with her dressed in modern clothes with other princesses at a website inside a computer is fine then. rotfl
Lol, I agree. Pocahontas not being in Sofia the First or Once Upon a Time because she was a real person is ridiculous and just an excuse.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thanks for the info!

The Pocahontas in Ralph Breaks the Internet is only an imaginary online version of her as is the case for all the princesses.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, thanks for the info!

The Pocahontas in Ralph Breaks the Internet is only an imaginary online version of her as is the case for all the princesses.
True, but I don't see how Pocahontas being based off of a historical figure would render her ineligible to appear in Sofia the First. Didn't stop Disney from including her in House of Mouse for example. Or the Disney Parks, both as a meet-and-greet character and in shows like Fantasmic! I think I read about some exchange between an actual descendant of Pocahontas or someone from the remnants of her people and the meet-and-greet Pocahontas in the Disney Parks, so clearly Disney isn't that bothered about the disparities between the real life Pocahontas and the animated one.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyBluLife wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Pocahontas wasn't on Sofia the First because she is based on a real person and to include her in that fantasy world may create an uproar.
:lol: Yeah, there's no way that's the reason Pocahontas didn't appear in some kid's show when she's a part of a theatrical WDAS film being released this Fall.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

It's important to remember that some princesses may not get a merchandise at all, but still be very popular. Mulan is the best example. I'm pretty sure she is one of the most beloved heroines, and would you ask on social media the question which princess is the best, she would probably win. But she is probably not very popular with kids, so she doesn't get any merch.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Raf wrote:It's important to remember that some princesses may not get a merchandise at all, but still be very popular. Mulan is the best example. I'm pretty sure she is one of the most beloved heroines, and would you ask on social media the question which princess is the best, she would probably win. But she is probably not very popular with kids, so she doesn't get any merch.
Definitely agree. Mulan appeals very much to the millennial crowd and she's generally one of the more popular princess in that demographic. From what I've experienced, small children, who the DP franchise is aimed at, find Mulan's film boring because it's a war movie and they dislike her lack of a pretty dress and handsome prince. Older generations also aren't very familiar with Mulan so she doesn't have the nostalgic factor that the classic princesses have and even the early Renaissance princesses. I've heard stories, for example, that in the parks, Pocahontas is a universally recognized figure by young and old. However, older visitors to the parks usually don't recognize Mulan and think she's a random geisha walking around.

On the other hand, there's Belle who is popular both amongst the millennial crowd but also little children. And sadly Pocahontas seems to be popular with very few people in general although I think Emma Watson named her as her favorite princess. I know Pocahontas is certainly one of my favorites.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:True, but I don't see how Pocahontas being based off of a historical figure would render her ineligible to appear in Sofia the First. Didn't stop Disney from including her in House of Mouse for example. Or the Disney Parks, both as a meet-and-greet character and in shows like Fantasmic! I think I read about some exchange between an actual descendant of Pocahontas or someone from the remnants of her people and the meet-and-greet Pocahontas in the Disney Parks, so clearly Disney isn't that bothered about the disparities between the real life Pocahontas and the animated one.
True, but Disney was different before than they are now. Pocahontas was most likely included because of the way Disney made events out of all their annual releases in the nineties. Regardless that back then her movie was stuck with it's dud-staple, her movie was still a success back then. With Sofia the First I guess that her popularity have faded among so many Princesses, so that's why they haven't included her. Besides, Disney weren't relying on their franchise so much back then as they do now.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote: True, but Disney was different before than they are now. Pocahontas was most likely included because of the way Disney made events out of all their annual releases in the nineties. Regardless that back then her movie was stuck with it's dud-staple, her movie was still a success back then. With Sofia the First I guess that her popularity have faded among so many Princesses, so that's why they haven't included her. Besides, Disney weren't relying on their franchise so much back then as they do now.
Her popularity has definitely faded unfortunately. Although I do remember that at one point the lowest selling princess was actually Mulan, not Pocahontas, so at least she briefly one-upped at least one princess.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, I guess I could see Pocahontas appearing on Sofia the First as fitting in.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd say that Pocahontas and Tiana are the two least popular princesses. Ironically enough, the two American princesses.
And the funny thing is that Pocahontas is more likely to be called a Princess than Tiana, due to her plausibility. At least Pocahontas, while not royal in Eurasian term, is the daughter of a Chief, whereas Tiana was commoner from the get-go.

At least I'm surprised that Tiana's popularity isn't as huge as it used to be, since she was quite promoted for a while.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Raf wrote:It's important to remember that some princesses may not get a merchandise at all, but still be very popular. Mulan is the best example. I'm pretty sure she is one of the most beloved heroines, and would you ask on social media the question which princess is the best, she would probably win. But she is probably not very popular with kids, so she doesn't get any merch.
Yeah, not many kids know her.
Back in 2011 when they opened the "Princess Pavilion" in Disneyland Paris, Mulan was originally one of the princesses you could meet there, but she was removed because of the many complaints from parents and little girls who didn't wanted to meet her. It was not a pretty story. :cry:

Quote from one of the guests from 2011:
"For younger little princesses i think this is a terrible idea.
Now you have no clue what princesses it is (my friend once qued up for 120 minutes with her 4 year old only to meet Mulan"
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

DisneyBluLife wrote: Yeah, not many kids know her.
Back in 2011 when they opened the "Princess Pavilion" in Disneyland Paris, Mulan was originally one of the princesses you could meet there, but she was removed because of the many complaints from parents and little girls who didn't wanted to meet her. It was not a pretty story. :cry:

Now you have no clue what princesses it is (my friend once qued up for 120 minutes with her 4 year old only to meet Mulan"
Now that's just sad :(. When I was a kid, I would love to see Pocahontas and Mulan the most from all the heroines.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Raf wrote:
DisneyBluLife wrote: Yeah, not many kids know her.

Now that's just sad :(. When I was a kid, I would love to see Pocahontas and Mulan the most from all the heroines.
Yeah, it is not so easy to get attention from guests for Mulan in Disneyland Paris. And you barely even see Pocahontas out in the park. :cry:

Video on Youtube from a friend of Mulan, you can see she is trying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQz_VK7PWz4
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I remember when I went to Disney World as a child Pocahontas was the one princess I met (alongside Ariel in her grotto). She tended to hang out near a baby petting zoo (is there one in the parks?) and was pretty neat. I think I kept the picture of it somewhere.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Lol, that's pretty bad that Mulan was removed from the princess meet-and-greet. I guess she isn't very popular in Europe.

Pocahontas I usually see in the Animal Kingdom or in general, something connected to nature and animals.
DisneyFan09 wrote: And the funny thing is that Pocahontas is more likely to be called a Princess than Tiana, due to her plausibility. At least Pocahontas, while not royal in Eurasian term, is the daughter of a Chief, whereas Tiana was commoner from the get-go.

At least I'm surprised that Tiana's popularity isn't as huge as it used to be, since she was quite promoted for a while.
I think Tiana got heavy promotion for three reasons. One, she was the first black princess. Two, she was the first new princess since the Disney Princess franchise started. Three, she was part of the first hand-drawn film in several years. The character didn't take off as much as Rapunzel did, and I heard that even Rapunzel had an overabundance of merchandise towards the end of Tangled's promotion, and struggled to sell.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

There was HUGE controversy at the time about the Princess Pavilion; the element of 'surprise' as to who you would see absolutely traumatised the girls in the queue. They were dressed as Cinderella / Ariel / Belle / Rapunzel .. and they would clearly have expectations as to who they would like to see. When the cast member at the front of the queue was trying to force them into saying 'heeeey, you gotta love Tiana don't ya ? Or hey, how about Snow White ?' You could see the looks on their faces of absolute trauma of WHY CAN'T I SEE RAPUNZEL ??????? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY and the parents would give them grief and so on. Horrible experience to see and hear.

Then on the other hand, for myself who's a fan of meet and greets, I had to see Snow White twice, which was beyond annoying. And then another two times over for Cinderella, until eventually they altered the process so you see listed outside the two princesses that are there.

So unfortunately, it was desperately telling who the most popular Princesses were, and I felt it directly corresponded to what dresses were most widely available in the parks. That would therefore mean it was Cinderella / Aurora / Belle / Rapunzel pretty much, and maybe Snow at a push. Absolutely nowhere were there Tiana / Mulan / Pocahontas costumes. And I think they missed a trick with Ariel as well; they had her 'Princess dress' as her wedding gown, which their off a lot of people it seemed like.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I think Tiana got heavy promotion for three reasons. One, she was the first black princess. Two, she was the first new princess since the Disney Princess franchise started. Three, she was part of the first hand-drawn film in several years. The character didn't take off as much as Rapunzel did, and I heard that even Rapunzel had an overabundance of merchandise towards the end of Tangled's promotion, and struggled to sell.
Well said and I agree. It's funny to think that both Tiana and Rapunzel were instantly launched as a part of the Princess franchise before their films even got released. And now Disney has turned against their own policy. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, the poor less popular princesses. But it also does suck when you don't get to see your favorite princess, so bad for both groups, really. And yeah, Ariel's dress would be more popular if they made it either the pink one or a mermaid dress combining her shells and tail which actually I'm pretty sure I saw. At Disney World I saw a good number of Ariel-outfit wearing litttle girls walking around. A lot of Cinderella and Belle. Some Rapunzel. And if I remember right a little Merida. And maybe like one Tiana. I think I remember all the Belle dresses I saw on girls were of the live-action film style.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

So, uuh, how do the minority princesses fare in this aspect? Do many little girls go around dressed in Tiana's lilypad dress or Mulan's pink one?

I can't speak due to not living in the USA, so Disney isn't nearly as relevant here as it would be there, but even in the places I live, regardless of the racial demographics, I think the white princesses are more popular than the minority ones. I once saw a Spanish mother suggest to her daughter to buy some Elena of Avalor merch, though. (Which is strange considering Spain =/= LatinAmerica, but I'll leave that rant for another day...).