Disney movies you loved as a kid but now not so much.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

jpanimation wrote:Pocahontas immediately comes to mind. I loved everything about it when it first came out. Now that I'm older, I have a hard time watching such a crappy movie (although the songs still hold up).

When I was younger, I hated Mulan. Now that I'm older, I can look past the weak soundtrack (songs, not score) and cliched teamwork ending to appreciate it as one of Disney's more mature offerings.
Agreed on Pocahontas. I can still appreciate the score and songs and animation, but story wise it's just too dumb for words. A problematic film for sure.

I agree partly on Mulan. I find the songs among Disney's best, easily. I'll Make A Man Out Of You is just awesome. Mulan has aged like a fine wine. Probably the best of the second half of the 90s.

Just my two cents. :)
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Hercules come to mind. When I was little I loved the movie, I had all sorts of merchandise. I still have my Hercules comforter, that I still use. However, I still love the movie, but not as much as I used too. It was among my top 5, but has slowly declined to the top 15 or 20.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

I don't know but lets say Fantasia and F2K
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Oliver & Company - I'm beginning to understand why it's not a popular film but I still think it is often underrated.

The Lion King - yes the movie I love so dear. I saw it in 3D and didn't feel the magic I once felt when I saw it as a child. Maybe it's because the hype doesn't hold up anywhere near the same level it did in 1994.

A Bug's Life - Another one that I'm understanding now why it's near the bottom of some people's lists.
KACENAID
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KACENAID »

I must say, for the most part, I enjoy all the Disney movies that I enjoyed when I was younger, I don't think much has changed for me.

There is one exception though because it carries the Disney banner. When I was younger, I thought Inspector Gadget was pretty good. Now that I'm older, I think to myself, "what in the world was I thinking?" It's a really terrible movie and I can't believe I actually enjoyed it when I was younger. Maybe it was the fact that I was excited about a movie based on the TV series. It's quite simply a poorly made movie.

As far as Disney movies that I appreciate more now than I did when I was younger, I might have to mention The Great Mouse Detective. While I enjoyed it as a kid, I think I'm getting more out of it now that I'm older.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Definitely James and the Giant Peach. I loved it as a kid but the bugs bore me now. I still love auntie Sponge & Spiker though
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I know I posted my reply several months ago, but I've thought of some more:

Two Disney films I have lost my liking for
The Lion King - I found it thrilling and fun as a kid, but rewatching it (as I did recently), I realise that it isn't as deep as it's supposed to be, and that Simba goes from being very arrogant, to very bland. Also Timon and Pumba aren't as funny when you're older :headshake:

Pocahontas - I liked it as a kid, but it has a brainless (and historically inaccurate) story, even if there are some redeeming features (which I will happily list :) )

Two Disney films that have grown on me
The Fox & The Hound - I chose it as a rental when I was ten, and I hated it for being so sad, but now I realise just how deep it really is, even if Vixey is a pointless love interest, and Dinky and Boomer are annoying.

Oliver & Company - I used to dislike it for being too retro, but I now feel that it has likeable characters, a realistic villain who doesn't rely on any dark powers (I've come to realise I prefer these villains in general), and two very good songs (Why Should I Worry? and Good Company, I'm not fussed about any of the others) My only real problem is that Oliver is so passive he could have been a toy cat stuffed with rubies.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Cinderella: I loved it when I first saw it at age 10, and even today, I still get a few chuckles out of some scenes, mostly with the King and Duke. But the movie doesn't impress me today all that much. They don't do much with the heroine beyond what the story requires, which actually makes Cinderella among the least interesting of the Disney princess.

The Fox and the Hound: I sorta liked it when I saw it at age 8. Years later, the film doesn't have as much impact. Sounded like they tried to do something bolder than what's expected of Disney films, but were too afraid to follow thru.

Pocahontas: My sister took me to see this when it came out, because she was enthusiastic about the prospect of the first non-white Disney princess. I liked it, because it came at the exact time I gained an interest in environmentalism.
The film is ho-hum to me today. Maybe because of the labored effort to make it a Best Picture Oscar-winning bonanza, the story didn't come as naturally as its immediate predecessors.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Movies I Like Less Now:

The Lion King ~ Though that’s not saying much--I still enjoy the film. I just know I used to be obsessed with it (and 101 Dalmatians) when I was a child, but now not as much. I might’ve overkilled it a bit.

The Jungle Book ~ I don’t know why, but I’m just not enamored with it. It borders on dull in a lot of scenes, and it’s almost as episodic as Alice and The Sword in the Stone. I’m not crazy about many of the songs, I despise the King Louie scene, and Mowgli is completely unlikable. And the ending is pathetic (to me).

Movies I Like More Now:

Cinderella ~ I’m not sure if this would really count, but I’ll list it anyway. I liked it as a child, but I went through a period in my teens where I couldn’t stand the movie. Too many associations with preppy girls, prom, and Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey’s marriage at my high school. Now, I’m back in love with it.

Pocahontas ~ I used to be as ambivalent to this as I was to Hunchback, but it’s lately becoming a favorite of mine. Yes, it’s definitely flawed--I think the film’s solution to Pocahontas and John Smith’s inability to understand one another’s language is probably the lowest point--and it might be better if it was shortened by about 5 to 15 minutes, but there’s a lot to love here.

Generally though, the movies I loved and/or hated as a child have mostly stayed the same.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Movies I Like More Now

Pocahontas. Historical themes still bore me but this movie really gets to me now, that I'm old enough to appreciate intolerance first hand.

The Jungle Book. I always liked it a little but I never really appreciated it until I got older. Now it's one of my favorites.

Dumbo. Something about it never popped for me. For one, I never thought Dumbo was cute. The bath scene bored me. Now I think it's by far Disney's most adorable moment. Period. Take that- baby howling Lady puppy!
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Geek wrote:The Lion King - I found it thrilling and fun as a kid, but rewatching it (as I did recently), I realise that it isn't as deep as it's supposed to be, and that Simba goes from being very arrogant, to very bland. Also Timon and Pumba aren't as funny when you're older :headshake:

Oliver & Company - I used to dislike it for being too retro, but I now feel that it has likeable characters, a realistic villain who doesn't rely on any dark powers (I've come to realise I prefer these villains in general), and two very good songs (Why Should I Worry? and Good Company, I'm not fussed about any of the others) My only real problem is that Oliver is so passive he could have been a toy cat stuffed with rubies.
We agree again --though I'm a big fan of "Streets of Gold" and "Once Upon A Time In New York City". :)
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Movies that have fallen from singerguy grace

The Lion King - Much like everybody else, I think my issue with this is that I over-killed it when I was younger. It was my absolute favorite when it came out, but now I can barely bring myself to watch it just because it doesn't even feel like entertainment anymore since I've seen it so many times.

The Jungle Book - This film also just comes off as tired. I appreciate the animation, but I feel like the story kinda drags and is extremely predictable. The ending also pisses me off. Mowgli just comes off as a total tool. He's obviously never heard of the term "bros before hoes", just sayin'.

Dumbo - I don't hate this film, but I don't understand why it's ever been considered a masterpiece. It has some nice moments and the scene with his mother always hits me in the heart, but the film is pretty much just fluff. Aside from that one "Baby Mine" scene, I could care less about what happens to any character in this film.

The Sword in the Stone - Before I knew much about the tales of King Arthur and the Round Table, I loved this film. Now I'm just disappointed that Disney wasted this opportunity to create an AMAZING King Arthur film on this rushed mess.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - This is another film like The Lion King for me. I just watched it too many times and now it just kinda bores me.

Movies that have creeped their way into my favorites list

Fox and the Hound - When I was young I hated this film because it didn't have a stereotypical Disney "happy ending". Now I adore the film because it doesn't. It's the only film from Disney that has been able to create an ending that isn't exactly happy, but more bittersweet effectively. The only movie that comes close is Treasure Planet, imo, but obviously it is not as popular.

Bambi - I never disliked Bambi, but now it has become easily one of my consistant top 10 Disney films ever. The film is by far one of the most beautiful films the company has ever made. Everything from the characters, the design, the story, the music, is practically perfect.

101 Dalmatians - It's hard for me to describe why I like this film so much now as opposed to when I was younger. The best I can say is "just because". lol
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

enigmawing wrote:The Three Caballeros. I loved it as a kid and watched a copy I'd taped off Disney Channel incessantly. I still enjoy much of it but it gets too weird and frantic toward the end for me these days.
Yeah, I loved that movie as a kid. But, when I watched it the day Princess and the Frog came out, I found it really boring and couldn't continue watching it because it was dragging on!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

singerguy04 wrote: The Sword in the Stone - Before I knew much about the tales of King Arthur and the Round Table, I loved this film. Now I'm just disappointed that Disney wasted this opportunity to create an AMAZING King Arthur film on this rushed mess.
I look at it this way: we got a hilarious film with TSitS and the potential that, in future, we’ll get a great King Arthur movie. I don’t think the studio could’ve made a great adaptation of the Arthur story at the time, and, tbh, many people don’t know that the book TSitS is about Arthur’s time as a boy with Merlin and not his adult life. From that perspective, it’s a pretty decent adaptation.

Also: "Movies that have fallen from singerguy grace" :lol: I love that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Goliath wrote:
Disney Geek wrote:The Lion King - I found it thrilling and fun as a kid, but rewatching it (as I did recently), I realise that it isn't as deep as it's supposed to be, and that Simba goes from being very arrogant, to very bland. Also Timon and Pumba aren't as funny when you're older :headshake:

We agree again --though I'm a big fan of "Streets of Gold" and "Once Upon A Time In New York City". :)

I think Once Upon A Time In New York City and Streets Of Gold are alright, just not as good as the two previously mentioned. Maybe I should rewatch them on Youtube.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
enigmawing wrote:The Three Caballeros. I loved it as a kid and watched a copy I'd taped off Disney Channel incessantly. I still enjoy much of it but it gets too weird and frantic toward the end for me these days.
Yeah, I loved that movie as a kid. But, when I watched it the day Princess and the Frog came out, I found it really boring and couldn't continue watching it because it was dragging on!
I actually still love the movie every bit as much now as I did then. For me, the movie "is" the drag on. With the possible exception of the Gauchito story. And parts of the Penguin story; but then, that one's so short, there's not much to let drag. And, it's such a funny movie. The Aracuan. And the animation responding to Sterling Holloway's narration (especially the skiing penguins who stop skiing and look at the camera and nod their heads). The only flaw is Donald, if you ask me. All his overly sexually frustrated hooting and hollering and, yet, you know nothing would ever happen. But he gets angry and violent, etc. Somebody put him in a broom closet until this is over, will ya? Just look at it as the package feature it's meant to be, get into the "anything goes" spirit and have fun. I did. Even in spite of how dated it is (which I'm surprised no one has formally lodged as a complaint). WAIT, I forgot something. Yes, okay, I know where it drags now- the "Donald Dances with All the Kids" scene. I actually like the Acapulco Beach moment, if you can ignore Donald's wailing. And I adore the Pink Elephants-esque ending.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney movies you loved as a kid but now not so much.

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Pocahontas and the Aristocats I guess. I used to think so highly of them, and now I just find them mediocre.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I've seen that I've already given my explanation to this tread, but I've come up with another suggestion;

Cinderella. As a kid I did like it for what it was, since Cinderella was my favorite fairy tale as a child. But I've ranted about it's faults priorly, so I won't repeat myself.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Peter Pan, Hercules, and Mulan.

The first I've found to be an extremely watered down version of the original classic play/novel. It was quite heartbreaking actually for this movie to fall from grace in my eyes, but at least I have the Universal 2003 live-action film which I absolutely love. I'm glad though that there are many Peter Pan purists who share my opinion on this.

Hercules and Mulan are both fine films and I preferred them as a kid to the more serious and mature Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but now I much more prefer drama over comedy which is why Pocahontas and Hunchback are easily two of my favorites now. Hercules is an extremely flawed film, comedy aside, that it doesn't surprise me that to so many people in 1997, Anastasia felt more like a Disney movie than Hercules ever did.

As for Mulan, it does a better job of balancing out the drama and comedy and I still love the intense highs of the film, but I can't appreciate Mushu as much anymore. He really does alter the tone of the film and not in an endearing way like the Genie in Aladdin. The few songs in the film don't do much for me anymore when compared to the other smash hits of 90s Disney. Mostly all the cultural anachronisms and historical inaccuracies really bother me now and this film is riddled with all of the above, moreso than almost any other Disney movie. That's something that I would never have even noticed as a child, but now it really takes away from the viewing experience.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Count me in as well as Mulan. I wanna like it for the themes of gender and such, but I'm not usually one for war movies and the humor is really the lowest point of the film (not as bad as in Pocahontas or Hunchback tho).