-

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

-

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Tue May 21, 2019 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Gaston lacks empathy. He's basically a psychopath and those type of people you have to be careful around. I feel sorry for Gaston for not knowing how to care for others.

It's funny Gaston gets the town all scared that the Beast is going to devour them but if the Beast wanted to devour them, he would have before they knew about him, not once they find out he exists. :lol:
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Gaston is probably one of the more hateable villains because he is very realistic. We all know at one point in our lives a guy like him. Arrogant, shallow, a bully, thinks he's God's gift to women. He may not be as evil as villains like Maleficent, the Queen or Ursula but he is much more realistic.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I feel Gaston became completely unsympathetic when he tried to have Maurice put in a home. At that point, I look forward to his death by roof-fall. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I think that Gaston is the embodiment of the "evils" we see in our every day lives caused by bigotry, selfishness, and ignorance. I think what makes him a great villain is that he isn't completely evil like we see in a lot of stories that turn good and evil into something clearly defined. But by the end it's easy to lose any potential sympathy for him since he lets his own desires surpass the basic rights of others.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

People hate Gaston because they are jelly that they will never be as awesome and manly like Gaston so they retort to pitiful excuses such as "he's a jerk!", "he treat wimmin wrong!", "a big bully." etc.

Meanwhile Gaston is strolling in the park not giving a single fuck. Haters gonna hate!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Super Aurora wrote:People hate Gaston because they are jelly that they will never be as awesome and manly like Gaston so they retort to pitiful excuses such as "he's a jerk!", "he treat wimmin wrong!", "a big bully." etc.

Meanwhile Gaston is strolling in the park not giving a single fuck. Haters gonna hate!

Actually he's lying dead in a moat his decomposed body is being slowly eaten by fish.
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I feel Gaston became completely unsympathetic when he tried to have Maurice put in a home. At that point, I look forward to his death by roof-fall. :lol:
I agree 100%.

I don't have a hate for Gaston except perhaps physical. Too much muscle! :oops:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Jay wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:People hate Gaston because they are jelly that they will never be as awesome and manly like Gaston so they retort to pitiful excuses such as "he's a jerk!", "he treat wimmin wrong!", "a big bully." etc.

Actually he's lying dead in a moat his decomposed body is being slowly eaten by fish.
That's what he wants you to think. I have the actual aftermath where he survives and plan stage two. It's 100% true and canon.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Jay wrote:Gaston is probably one of the more hateable villains because he is very realistic. We all know at one point in our lives a guy like him. Arrogant, shallow, a bully, thinks he's God's gift to women. He may not be as evil as villains like Maleficent, the Queen or Ursula but he is much more realistic.
True that! His ability to sway the entire town to his warped views hit awfully close to home. Too many people are able to pull that kind of crazy off.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I think Gaston is pretty rotten.

-He would have raped Belle if she hadn't kicked him out (you can tell by his face and movements)
-He refused to believe Maurice's story, despite the fact that the Woman he supposedly loved had quite possibly been imprisoned
-He insisted that Maurice be put in an asylum
-He stirred up the townsmen, had them raiding the castle, and stabbed The Beast. All this was based purely on The Beast's appearence

The Beast started off pretty bad as well, but he learnt, while Gaston just became less and less rational. It wasn't about Belle (and even if it had been, she wouldn't be to blame) It was about feeling powerful.

Not that bad? I wouldn't say so :P

P.S I'm another one who thinks of Gaston as a very realistic villain.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I already went over it once before, but here I go again.

Gaston most definately makes evil looks, sounds evil in his voice acting, and is intended by the filmakers to be evil.

But if you don't buy that, here it is:
Up to a point, Gaston could seem not so bad, perhaps too stupid, ignorant, or emotional to really know what he's doing is so bad.

But when Belle tells Gaston the Beast is kind and gentle, Gaston says "If I didn't know any better I'd say you had feelings for him". So apparently he's not so dumb, and after she calls him a "monster", I think it's clear his ego is so hurt by her loving some hairy big thing more than him, that he merely pretends to just be saving the village from the Beast.

Much more evidential, when he fights the Beast in the end, he sees the Beast being sad and passive, yet he shoots him with an arrow anyway. Then he says "Did you think she was in love with you?" clearly showing that he knows the Beast was not controlling Belle, and that he had human, sensitive feelings, and thought Belle loved him. And to top it all of, after the Beast decided not to drop him, and so saved him, Gaston stabs the Beast anyway.

Yea, we was an evil villain. Evil out of emotion is still evil. I mean, murder is murder. If Gaston had aplogized and repented and became good later, then he wouldn't be evil, but till then we can only assume he was a truly evil person. I'm pretty sure intelligence doesn't have anything to do with knowing whether or not murder of something you can tell has human feelings is wrong, and Gaston did show enough intelligence to see the Beast's sensitive human feelings, passiveness, and maybe even kindness (when the Beast didn't drop him).
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I don't believe Gaston starts the film as a villain, he's simply a thuggish and arrogant bully who is used to being adored and getting whatever he wants. I think he becomes a villain when he schemes to have Maurice committed to an asylum, otherwise he is simply a vain man who can't understand why the woman he is attracted to doesn't reciprocate his feelings.

He's effective as a villain at the climax of the film because he shows an ability to manipulate people that, based on the beginning of the film, you might not consider him intelligent enough to possess. I like the part where he says to the town's women that unless the mob kills the beast, he will murder their children as it shows how smart he is to play on the basic fears of those who idolise him to help him achieve his motives. Gaston is smart enough to know that he is idolised enough by the town's people that it gives him a very powerful and authorative position where they will do anything he tells them.

So for me, Gaston is not an inherently evil character like Maleficent or Frollo, but when required, he is capable of committing evil acts, as we all are I suppose. We see the real Gaston when Beast has him by the throat, hanging from the castle roof and his bravado vanishes: a snivelling and pathetic coward. After being given mercy by the Beast, Gaston waits for him to turn his back before attacking and stabbing him, showing just how much of a coward he truly is. But like all bullies and villains, he inevitably gets his comeuppance.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The Beast learned to love Belle for who she was inside. Gaston only wanted to be with her because of her looks, as a trophy wife: "She's the most beautiful woman in town. THAT makes her the best."

Gaston wanted to blackmail Belle into marrying him by threatening to have her father committed in an asylumn.

Gaston wanted to kill the Beast just because Belle loved him. He treated Belle like she was his property: "Belle is MINE!"

So... er... what do you mean, 'Gaston was not that bad'? :scratch:
Disney Geek wrote:-He would have raped Belle if she hadn't kicked him out (you can tell by his face and movements)
To quote Super Aurora: "WAIT WAT?!" I think you're seeing things that aren't there.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Goliath wrote:So... er... what do you mean, 'Gaston was not that bad'? :scratch:
I can kind of understand that he means that this is the culture Gaston grew up in. Women were thought of as property--that's why Belle was so odd to everyone, because she thought she was more than just a babymaker. In a lot of ways, Gaston was a product of his environment.

Thinking about it, Gaston is probably a lot like Beast was when he was the spoiled prince. Vain, self-centered, catered to, etc. Too bad he didn't have a fairy teach him a lesson so he didn't have to die. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Goliath wrote: To quote Super Aurora: "WAIT WAT?!" I think you're seeing things that aren't there.
love that quote don't ya? Anyway Disney Geek's point is clearly true as Gaston made a truly certified "RAPE FACE". His' face scream "I'm gonna fuck your soul out, wimmin!"
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Goliath wrote:
Disney Geek wrote:-He would have raped Belle if she hadn't kicked him out (you can tell by his face and movements)
To quote Super Aurora: "WAIT WAT?!" I think you're seeing things that aren't there.

My wording was probably a bit strong, but you can't deny that there could have been some sort of sexual assault.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Oh come on! Gaston is bad. He's a villain, you know.