DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Emperor's New Groove
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:51 pm 

I just wanted to point out that EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE was not a total flop, as the review stated. It actually made about $90 million in North America alone (see IMDB). Of course, that doesn't mean it was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(
Welcome to the forum, keoni.

In relative terms, TENG was not as successful as the other Disney films. Yes, it did make nearly $90 million, but it cost $100 million to make. IN other words, it didn't break even at the box office, and that is probably why it was referred to as a 'flop'. Having said that, it probably made a profit once it hit video and DVD.

TENG is one of my fave Disney films, simply because it had a wacky sense of humour which was really in line with my own. I think time will tell on it. At any rate, it has received one of the better DVD editions (The Ultimate Groove), and remains a fun movie.

Thanks for your opinion, keoni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:24 am 
Limited Edition

story problems and changing the film altogether cost millions in production dollars for this film

thus had they thought about doing TENG instead of Kingdom of the Sun from the very beginning of production they wouldve saved money and the profit would not be bad

Post subject: TENG
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:58 pm 
Gold Collection

According to boxofficemojo TENG grossed an additional $80,000,000 overseas making the total box office takings US$170 million.

It'd be interesting to find out how much the video/DVD sales/rentals made. Anyone know where to find Nielsen VideoScan reports for Disney movies without having to pay thousands of dollars subscription?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:38 pm 
Collector's Edition

I like Emperor's New Groove! It wasn't exactly a flop, but it wasn't exactly a box office hit either. At least it did better than Gigli did. :lol: I think Emperor's New Groove did better in the VHS/DVD rentals and sales. Treasure Planet did the same thing, bomb at the box office, do better in the VHS/DVD rentals and sales.

Lilo: I'm not touching you!
Stitch: TOUCHING ME!

Post subject: Re: TENG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

disneyunlimited wrote:
It'd be interesting to find out how much the video/DVD sales/rentals made. Anyone know where to find Nielsen VideoScan reports for Disney movies without having to pay thousands of dollars subscription?

According to VideoBusiness.com (which requires a subscription, but is free), The Emperor's New Groove's home video release brought in a revenue of $154 million in 2001, selling 8.1 million units in total (6.2 M of those on VHS). Rentals brought in another $31.12 million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:19 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, I don't think it is fair calling "The Emperor's New Groove" a flop.
Remember that this was a very problematic project which was originaly a serious drama called "Kingdom of/in the Sun". When Roger Allers left the project, Mark Dindal came on board and completely re-structured the movie and it became the comedy we know today.
The problem was that, after all the production problems, Disney lost faith in the project. The fact that Michael Eisner supposedly hated the movie didn't help either. So Disney put very little effort on promoting "The Emperor's New Groove". The executives at the studio expected it to gross just around $40-50 milion at the box office. If the movie failed (which they were sure it was going to), Disney had no need to worry, because they would have "Atlantis" comming next summer, and that was supposed to be a big blockbuster hit (which we all know it wasn't exactly what happended).
TENG got very low profits in its opening weekend, premiering on the fourth spot. But, surprise, surprise, its second week's income was bigger than the first one... Thanks to word-of-mouth, the public suddently became aware of this little gem and they started to show up in theaters. In the end, TENG's $90 milion box-office was beyond a lot of people expectations. Besides, it did great busisness on home video so, if people think of it as a flop, it is Disney we have to blame. They had a real hit in their hands but, unfortunatelly, they didn't recognize it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:33 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Luke wrote:
disneyunlimited wrote:

According to VideoBusiness.com (which requires a subscription, but is free), The Emperor's New Groove's home video release brought in a revenue of $154 million in 2001, selling 8.1 million units in total (6.2 M of those on VHS). Rentals brought in another $31.12 million.

Hey Luke, I've subscribed to the site. Where can I see how much a movie has earned? I've tried searching for it, but it didn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Carioca wrote:
Hey Luke, I've subscribed to the site. Where can I see how much a movie has earned? I've tried searching for it, but it didn't help.

Check out the Middle and End of Year Research Reports:
http://www.videobusiness.com/midyearend_reports.asp

You can't search by title specifically, but most of the prominent Disney titles top the various home video charts.

Lots of interesting numbers to crunch there! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks a lot, Luke! Big help! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:10 pm 
Limited Edition

why cant people just axe these projects (or push them aside) instead of wasting their money in hell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:50 am 

How come??This Movie is Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know the situation in the US,
but right here,at least in this campus,
any person who has ever wacthed it
can't help saying "this movie is so damned f*cking classic!!"
none of Disney's other films made me laughed that much in my entire life.
and after I bought a DVD9 of it,
I found many other things about it.
By the way,the Mandrian version is even greater!
Never have I met a Disney's film better in the Mandrian version!
And many lines from the film became our daily languages
such as"don't know don't care so what?" "I'm feeling so bad,bad llama~"
I have never thought I could love such a selfish guy!
Kuzco is too cute to hate!I love his innocent eyes.
but I also found some homosexual humours elements in it,whatever.
wah,this is my 1st message left here?
hello guys!I'm a boy from China.
this place is so sweet for a Disney fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:09 am 

in fact it's the movie in which disney had broken many foolish rules.
and they added much more wisdom and humour in it made it the beginning of disney's new generation of cartoon style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:04 am 
Limited Edition

This movie in in my Top Ten !!! I absolutely love it !!

My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

liony4u wrote:
wah,this is my 1st message left here?
hello guys!I'm a boy from China.
this place is so sweet for a Disney fan.

Welcome to the forum, boy! Thanks for the kind word. I hope you like it here. Stay as long as you'd like! :eye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:22 pm 

i loved this movie! everytime i watch it i die laughing! do u know if it's on dvd? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

2nd animated movie set in Peru and had the Inca Culture of Peru :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:13 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm surprised that there's not already a big discussion thread for this film!

I've been geeking out over concept art from various films, but this website has a BUNCH of Kingdom of the Sun concept art!!!

http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20F ... ept%20Art/

I had already seen a few of these, but not the vast majority of them. As much as I enjoy The Emperor's New Groove, and I do, I find Kingdom of the Sun/Kingdom In the Sun to be more facinating (but then again, the production process always fascinates me more than the actual films).

As a lot of you probably already know, the story was going to be like "The Prince and the Pauper", and it's neat to see the concept art of the original Pacha and the Kuzco character. Again, I do very much enjoy the film, and maybe it's better that it ended up being a comedy, but just IMAGINE the epicness of the original idea. I'm often trying to find more info on the project. If only The Sweatbox could be released!!!!!

Can anybody make out what this poster says?
http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20F ... omfull.jpg
(I can only make out a little of it.)

If you look at some of the model sheets on this page, it says "New Kingdom": Were they just referring to how this version was the new version of Kingdom Of the Sun, or was the film at one point titled [/i]New Kingdom[/i]?
http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20F ... %20Sheets/

Post subject: Re: Emperor's New Groove
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:53 am 
Platinum Edition

There was a panel with the filmmakers of The Emperor's New Groove celebrating its 15th anniversary at the El Capitan a week ago. You can now watch the panel in full. It's really interesting; it's like a making-of for the film.

Post subject: Re: Emperor's New Groove
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
There was a panel with the filmmakers of The Emperor's New Groove celebrating its 15th anniversary at the El Capitan a week ago. You can now watch the panel in full. It's really interesting; it's like a making-of for the film.

Better than the Sweatbox? Cause that one was really interesting and elaborate.

Either way, while I overall like "TENG" and thought it was a breath of fresh air. I was still looking forward to "Kingdom of the Sun", hence the premise sounded more intriguing. And also due to my interest of Incas. It's a pity they couldn't find ways to resolve that version. And it was a wasted opportunity with the soundtrack, since it was absent of Andean Music.