DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146
 Post subject: Re: Moana
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 am 
Collector's Edition

This movie and Frozen 1 & 2 are the best disney animated movies since Alaties was released in 2000 in my opinion :) .

May Be with the exception of ( i DEEPLY apologize for this view :oops: :oops: :oops: ) Home on the Range. :P

I hope no one hates me now ? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I always considered that an easy and convenient narrative choice. She gets to have her dream without any real sacrifice. She never has to make a truly difficult decision. I find the Little Mermaid's exploration of identity much more genuine and believable. Her being enamored with a culture outside her own and in the end choosing to live amongst humans despite the personal cost is a much more radical and bold move.
Yes, and she also has to make a morally ambiguous choice at some point to get there, something most viewers still judge the character as selfish for three decades later. That's realistic. In real life, you're always hated for what your family / friends falsely perceive as "going against your own kind." Moana is another one of those characters that tries to re-create Ariel, but doesn't do it as well. Moana herself is pretty bland; I prefer Tiana, Rapunzel, Elsa, and Anna to her, as far as Revival protagonists. She's better than Hiro and WIR though.

DisneyFan97 wrote:

I hope no one hates me now ? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:lol: Nobody hates you. Try liking the Frozen franchise or the live-action B&tB, and we'll see. :wink: :lol:

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

Storytime with Auli'i Cravalho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1-ETWC6jY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:10 am 
Limited Edition

Something that came to me is that there's a beautiful deconstruction about the Chosen One narrative. The movie say that it's the actions of Moana that make her heroic, not her destiny as a Chosen One. While in most stories the Chosen One is in denial about it until they realize that they have no choice and have to take the role of a hero. Also these kind of stories usually tell that only certain people are worthy due to certain characteristics. Moana was chosen by the ocean because she showed compassion, not because she's the daughter of the chief.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:27 am 
Platinum Edition

That's a variant of the Chosen One trope, not a deconstruction. Plenty of Chose One stories have the hero be worthy because of their positive character traits such as kindness, generosity, bravery etc. instead of their social status or lineage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:47 am 
Limited Edition

Most chosen ones show these characteristics because eventually they are the protagonists, but I don't think they are chosen because of those characteristics, they usually show these when they accepted their role as chosen ones. For instance, Harry Potter, was he chosen because he's brave and nice? No he was chosen because Voldemort thought he'd be his doom. We know he's the chosen one even before we know him.
Another example is Hercules, he's the subject of the prophecy because he's the son of Zeus. The prophecy is told when he's just a baby.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:20 am 
Platinum Edition

Pacific Islanders talk about Moana:
We Asked For Pacific Islanders's Honest Opinions On "Moana," And They Did Not Hold Back https://buzzfeed.com/morgansloss1/heres ... k-of-moana

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wow, who knew Tala was a controversial character… :lol: She’s the best character in the movie tho…. The thing is even though she’s treated like she’s crazy, she isn’t. She ends up being right about everything and the only person who can truly comfort or guide Moana within the story. But I understand what they mean as far as her being regarded as “crazy” by the community she lives in when in real life the elderly are probably revered in the culture.

I agree that the company is improving in their treatment of / approach to various cultures. Moana and Coco are a long way from, say, Peter Pan in the ‘50s or even Pocahontas in the ‘90s. I straight up laughed at the one comment that Moana should’ve been a man because wayfinders would use their balls to know the current. I agree that Lilo & Stitch is a better film though… I wouldn’t have said that a few years ago, but re-watches have gave me a greater appreciation of that film.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:49 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Yeah, the man wayfinder comment caught my attention, too...I think that's part of the story, though, that Moana is unique, that she was chosen, not because she's a woman or the chief's daughter, but because of who she is (I swear that someone just had this conversation in one of the threads....!).

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:14 am 
Collector's Edition

This is my FAVORITE MORDEN Disney or Pixar movie !!!!!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 am 
Platinum Edition

Early demo version of "How Far I'll Go":
https://www.playbill.com/article/listen ... from-moana

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 am 
Limited Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:

That's neat. I wonder why they didn't include it in the deluxe soundtrack, I always thought that it was because More eventually split and turned into Where You Are, We Know the Way and How Far I'll Go, but it makes sense that there would be another draft between them.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 am 
Platinum Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I prefer some of the alternative lyrics of this demo version over the final ones. It would have been nice if Auli'i recorded this version too. Maybe one day...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am 
Limited Edition

I know the tattoos were traditionally animated, but were the prologue and You're Welcome as well? Is there a source about them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes, but there were CG elements in those sequences too.

Quote:
I had the opportunity to do all the Look Development (Texture/Shading) for the Moana Prologue Scene. I also did the animated textures on the top of Eric Goldberg's 2D animation.
Source: https://nataliafreitas.artstation.com/projects/WZwxv

Quote:
Disney’s innovative Meander drawing system, utilized on the Oscar-winning “Paperman” and “Feast” shorts, and one of 18 recipients of this year’s Academy Sci-Tech Award, was integral to “Moana’s” 2D/CG integration. “It was used extensively by effects to do shot planning, and during the hand-drawn prologue, and on everything that was hand-drawn during the [Lin-Manuel Miranda] song, ‘You’re Welcome,'” Brian Whited, Disney’s senior software engineer, told IndieWire. He designed and developed Meander and will receive the Academy’s Sci-Tech Award on February 11th at the Beverly Wilshire.
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/moana ... 201769431/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am 
Limited Edition

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am 
Platinum Edition

Another instance of lyrics that bother me is in the song "I Am Moana." Instead of "I'm a girl who loves my island," it should be "I'm a girl who loves her island," since she's talking about herself in the third person. Also, "it's like the tide, always falling and rising," should be "it's like a tide, always falling and rising," since she's talking in general about the natural phenomenon instead of a specific tide.

I usually don't have issues with lyrics since I consider them of secondary importance to music. I don't even mind repetition or genericness much. It's only when they're taking glaring liberties with syntax or grammar, I get bothered by them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am 
Platinum Edition

He also rhymed "go" with "go" and "line" with "line" in the same song. Was that for the same reason as well?

Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:
And yes, I rhymed island with island FOUR times, so that YOU, THE VIEWER, are as ready to get off the ISLAND as Moana! Let's go!
Source: https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1 ... 3639291915

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, I've never got the fanfare around him. He's not horrible--Moana's soundtrack was fine--but I don't get the hype at all. I guess my dislike of him is how some of y'all felt about Beyonce. :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146