DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moana
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

To me, it's Tangled. Minus I See the Light, Mother Knows Best, and the reprise of WWMLB, the music and not the lyrics is just bland and not that alive. It didn't had the oof-factor like Menken's other works. I always liked Moana's soundtrack, but Shiny took a while to get used to. But, hey it's the best bad guy song since FOTOS.

To me, the list is:

1. Frozen
2. Moana
3. Princess and the Frog
4. Tangled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am 
Collector's Edition

In my opinion Moana has the best soundtrack. What makes a good musical soundtrack is that the songs enhance the story, they progress the plot or develop characters. The songs in Moana are emotionally evolving throughout the film (no awkward troll song while a main character is literally dying).

What Frozen's soundtrack has going is Let it Go. The rest vary between good (For the First Time in Forever) and really bad (Fixer Upper). In addition it also has the "let's stop the plot and sing" songs like Tangled (In Summer and Fixer Upper again). Plus does anybody really consider Raindeers are Better Than People a song?

Tangled's soundtrack is unremarkable in my opinion and pales in comparison to Menken's earlier work.

I don't really have an opinion on The Princess and the Frog's soundtrack.

So my ranking is:
1. Moana
2. Frozen
3. Tangled
4. The Princess and the Frog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Maybe we can make a thread about this? I've thought of creating one several times because I find it hard to decide which revival musical has the best music and I was curious to know your opinions. And let's not forget Winnie the Pooh, which also has songs.

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread I've just created: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32839

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm sorry I interrupted this conversation creating a new thread about the topic that was being talked about. As I said, I had been thinking of asking you about that same topic before and I thought that now it was a good opportunity to do it. But I did it hastily and acted as if I was an administrator or something and now I regret it. Please, continue discussing it here or where you want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 am 
Platinum Edition

It's fine, D82. You did good. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^OK. Thanks, Sotiris. It’s just that I did that quickly without thinking too much about it, and later I realized that maybe I had been a bit rude and it was like forcing people to comment in the thread I created instead of letting them continue with their natural conversation. And it could also be seen as if I thought that wasn’t on topic and I didn’t like it was being discussed here. But that wasn't my intention. (By the way, I meant moderator, not administrator.) So I had remorse and I felt I needed to apology. But I’m glad if it wasn’t misinterpreted and/or people were not offended.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
Auli'i, sweetie, you need to get yourself some better taste in music. :P

Quote:
Q: Which Disney Princess song do you listen to the most?

Auliʻi Cravalho: Almost There from The Princess and the Frog.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJYkTAlOjv ... isneystyle

Really? I think it's a fine song. Though I've never went completely gaga for it, I think Almost There is a cute and pleasant Princess song. In fact, that's why I think about the whole soundtrack about TPATF, despite of my lack of interest in Randy Newman.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think Auliʻi Cravalho is a big fan of Tiana anyway. From what I remember, Tiana is her favorite princess. And even if that isn't true, I know she and Anika Noni Rose really bonded during the Wreck-It Ralph recording sessions and promotional events. So I'm not surprised that Almost There would be her first choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 am 
Platinum Edition

Well, can't say I blame her there. I love Tiana, too. I just wish she'd got a better song.

Bernadette Peters (Smash) ~ "At Your Feet"
Bette Midler (Gypsy) ~ "Some People"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yeah, I recall that Auli'i liked TPATF. I remember reading it on a site somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

'Moana' Soundtrack Surpasses 1 Million Copies Sold in U.S.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -1-million

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

Versus Frozen's soundtrack at 4x platinum in the U.S, not to speak of LIG's 5 million singles sold.... :mischief: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm 
Collector's Edition

Was this posted here before? I saw other 2D samples but not necessarily this one.

It's a side by side comparison of the baby Moana ocean scene in both hand drawn and CGI animation.

Facebook source

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 pm 
Platinum Edition

Moana is getting a junior stage production. Licensing becomes available in January 2020.

Source: https://www.mtishows.com/disneys-moana-jr

Quote:
Disney’s Moana JR. is a 60-minute musical based on the 2016 Disney animated movie Moana, about the strong-willed daughter of the chief of a Polynesian village, who is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite a mystical relic with a goddess. When a blight strikes her island, Moana sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod, in the hope of returning the heart of Te Fiti and saving her people. The musical features songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Opetaia Foa'i.
Source: https://www.mtishows.com/disneys-moana-jr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm shocked that Moana got a show before Tangled and even Coco. I guess the hair logistics for Tangled is very complicated to solve for schools. Hopefully, this will lead to a full Broadway show.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 pm 
Limited Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
I'm shocked that Moana got a show before Tangled and even Coco. I guess the hair logistics for Tangled is very complicated to solve for schools. Hopefully, this will lead to a full Broadway show.

No sequel or TV series, so this will have to do :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:38 am 
Limited Edition

DisneyEra wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
What makes me doubt that the picture's really something from Disney is that--wasn't Moana supposed to be 14 years old? That looks like no 14 year-old I've ever seen.

I don't expect this movie to look any different than Frozen or Tangled. I don't really believe it's possible for 3D to look like 2D anyway, although it could come close, I imagine, but it seems rather pointless to try? Besides, that would only end up too "distracting" for Lasseter's eye; it's a really good thing films like Pocahontas, Hercules, Mulan, Atlantis, and The Emperor's New Groove happened when they did, because Disney probably won't be making anything with a distinctive style like them while Lasseter's there.

One was struck down. The other one's missing...

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:13 am 
Collector's Edition

thedisneyspirit wrote:
One was struck down. The other one's missing...

Happier days. We all know what happened to Lasseter, but I haven't heard anything about Iger.
By the way, Ed Catmull was supposed to "stay on as an adviser through July 2019". Meaning that just a week from now, he will officially be retired.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm 
Platinum Edition

It’s always a trip going through these old threads. So many things are amusing--or tragic--to read when you know what’s to come. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
This is not the first time a stage adaptation of Moana has been planned. Moana was one of several films on the table for a potential stage musical in the theme parks. The Magic Kingdom was supposed to get an expansion of Main Street USA with a large "Main Street Theater", capable of hosting live shows. Disneyland has a theater like this which currently houses a short version of Frozen (and before that, Aladdin). It would have been nice to have a house that could eat a thousand people in Magic Kingdom several times a day. But just as land clearing began, the Main Street Theater project was abruptly cancelled (well, officially "put on indefinite hold"). Most people point to the deteriorating monorails as the culprit that sank the project (an EPCOT monorail door opened mid-ride, and a video circulated the web. So suddenly new monorail trains became a much bigger priority for Disney and their money). Moana (along with Mary Poppins, and a "Disney hits" concert) was one of the top considerations for the Main Street Theater, but we may never get to see it come to life.
Source: https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/rea ... 77#5166842

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144  Next