Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Moana

Post by Avaitor »

Sotiris wrote:Fans should at least take solace that it lost to a better song. The song "We Belong Together" that won over "I See the Light" was absolute garbage.
I don't agree, tbh. "City of Stars" isn't even a song- it's a one-verse jingle, and shouldn't have been nominated, let alone won.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Yeah, I don't know if FANS would just accept that it lost to "a better song" :lol: People here have been saying La La Land was always the favorite from the beginning so I don't think there's a surprise. Sure there was a chance of vote splitting with it having two nominations, but City of Stars pretty easily became the consensus pick and the idea of vote splitting is always very hypothetical.

The La La Land hype train was much bigger than the PEGOT narrative for LMM and extended across the board, tying the record for most nominations. It did lose some of the big awards but no way it was losing the music categories.

Auli'i :lol:

LADY Image CLUCK
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I love Auli'l! She deserves everything in the world! :)

EDIT: AHHHHHHH! She got cast for a pilot! Come through, baby girl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE-uUSCsvZE
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Auli'i was phenomenal on stage. As a newcomer, to pull that off. Very impressive. We've seen seasoned performers completely cave underneath the pressure of this huge audience. She will be a big star.

Her sigh of relief at the end was so endearing.

First time ever I'm rooting for a Disney star to succeed. I guess it helps not being on Disney channel. And my God is she beautiful.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

She looked and sounded beautiful on stage last night! A truly superb performance. Her voice was perfection which I wasn't expecting especially since more polished singers like Idina Menzel didn't even sound that good when she was singing Let It Go at the Oscars a few years back.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:I think the producers of the show simply asked Lin-Manuel to perform the song alongside Auli'i, because they want well-known artists for the musical numbers and she's not famous enough for them.
I would be more inclined to believe that if he hadn't already turned "You're Welcome" into a duet just so he would get to perform in the end credits. But even if the Academy did ask, he could have easily refused and insisted on Auli'i performing it on her own.
I still think they wanted him on the show because of his popularity, but I agree that he could have refused that proposal. His "introduction" to the song was completely unnecessary and odd. At least it was brief and Auli'i could sing the whole song alone after that.
Sotiris wrote:Auli'i was sweet and cute as always. She did better than I expected for a live performance even though her voice cracked during that final high note.
I agree. I was surprised by how well she performed it too, considering it was a live performance.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Good for Auli'i getting cast in something already. Given the talent involved, there's a pretty strong chance it gets picked up:
16-year-old Moana star Auli’i Cravalho, who wowed the Oscar audiences with her performance of nominated song “How Far I’ll Go” last night, has been tapped for a lead role in NBC’s drama pilot Drama High, from Friday Night Lights executive producer/showrunner Jason Katims and Jeffrey Seller, producer of the smash Broadway hit Hamilton
LADY Image CLUCK
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

she is incredible, and gorgeous to boot. nice to see a previously unknown doing so well and being given a chance. i only hope she has good familial support and handles her fame well. would hate to see her go the way of many other young ones.
big kid at heart
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Lady Cluck wrote:Good for Auli'i getting cast in something already. Given the talent involved, there's a pretty strong chance it gets picked up:
16-year-old Moana star Auli’i Cravalho, who wowed the Oscar audiences with her performance of nominated song “How Far I’ll Go” last night, has been tapped for a lead role in NBC’s drama pilot Drama High, from Friday Night Lights executive producer/showrunner Jason Katims and Jeffrey Seller, producer of the smash Broadway hit Hamilton
Wow, not just a TV show but the lead role! I'll definitely be watching that now. It's nice because the majority of the Disney Princess voice actresses (who weren't already celebrities before they got the role) never get known outside of being a Disney Princess (with the exception of Ming-Na in Agents of SHIELD).
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

she was very cute. Im glad her star is rising. I was actually expecting Lin to sing the song as a duet with her. I think its cool he just did his little rap thing and then let her take the spotlight. :lol:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

More footage of Auli'l with Claire. She is such a class act

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Gd4e_hL9U[/youtube]
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

did you know they are releasing the 3d blu-ray for Moana in the states? didn't they decide not to release the 3d disc for Frozen here? :?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I wonder what the Moana fandom thinks about this. You lose 2 Oscars to Zootopia & LaLa Land, then DreamWorks Trolls gets announced for a Sequel in Spring 2020! Not a good week for the Moana fandom :lol:
Attachments
Edge-Web-Notes-DreamWork1231602546.jpg
Edge-Web-Notes-DreamWork1231602546.jpg (162.94 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyEra wrote:I wonder what the Moana fandom thinks about this. You lose 2 Oscars to Zootopia & LaLa Land, then DreamWorks Trolls gets announced for a Sequel in Spring 2020! Not a good week for the Moana fandom :lol:
:x

Why!?! And people say Pixar is sequel happy.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Well it was a decent hit for a studio that's often been in shambles and relying on their established franchises recently. It made more money domestically than Kung Fu Panda 3, though less worldwide.
LADY Image CLUCK
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyEra wrote:I wonder what the Moana fandom thinks about this. You lose 2 Oscars to Zootopia & LaLa Land, then DreamWorks Trolls gets announced for a Sequel in Spring 2020! Not a good week for the Moana fandom :lol:
I'm not sure why Trolls getting a sequel announcement would affect the Moana fandom. Its success didn't affect Moana's grosses and it's not a secret DreamWorks is a lot more prone to announcing sequels right off the bat than Disney is.

If anything, this would bother the Marvel fans more, since Trolls opened the same day as Doctor Strange and a lot of Marvel fans assumed Strange would destroy Trolls at the box-office and eat it for breakfast. Never underestimate the pull of animation, I always say.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Maybe when I saw stuff like this on Moana's Tumblr earlier this week I overreacted :|
Attachments
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg (107.25 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Really annoyed that Disney and Amazon seem to be going through some sort of spat right now. I'd like to preorder this movie from Amazon since I have 2-day shipping but it's not listed to buy. Apparently it should be up by release day but it's still annoying.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If Disney thought a sequel would be lucrative for Moana, they would greenlight one. What would be interesting is if M&C would be involved. They've never really done a sequel before, have they? They began under different management where everything wasn't sequelized and re-made into eternity.
DisneyEra wrote:Maybe when I saw stuff like this on Moana's Tumblr earlier this week I overreacted :|
I honestly see no connection between this and Trolls getting a sequel? But it might be more effective if you posted it on tumblr where these people you're mocking actually exist.

That person's post is hilarious though. Doubtless the Oscars have an easier time with race when they don't actually have to see PoC. Hence, Zootopia. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If Disney thought a sequel would be lucrative for Moana, they would greenlight one. What would be interesting is if M&C would be involved. They've never really done a sequel before, have they? They began under different management where everything wasn't sequelized and re-made into eternity.
DisneyEra wrote:Maybe when I saw stuff like this on Moana's Tumblr earlier this week I overreacted :|
I honestly see no connection between this and Trolls getting a sequel? But it might be more effective if you posted it on tumblr where these people you're mocking actually exist.

That person's post is hilarious though. Doubtless the Oscars have an easier time with race when they don't actually have to see PoC. Hence, Zootopia. :lol:
I can see the connection of Moana/Trolls clear as day. I'd be like back in 2008, Bolt would have got the greenlight for a sequel while Kung-Fu Panda didn't. And who said I'm mocking those Tumblr bigots? They're gonna claim Racism as the reason why Moana didn't win any major awards? Where was these Racism rants when Princess & the Frog lost back in early 2010? These were also some of the same people that were accusing Disney of using Moana for Cultural Appropriation before the feature's release:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-ameri ... se-n685866

Looks like now they've flipped flopped.