DVDizzy.com
https://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/

Big Hero 6
https://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28618
Page 61 of 62

Author:  disneyphilip [ Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Mooky wrote:
taei wrote:
But with Big Hero 6, it literally left no impression on me. I just stopped thinking about it and moved on. I should love the movie by all means, especially since I tend to appreciate the positives more in movies like this. I even don't check this thread as much as I did with the other ones.
I was just flat out disappointed by this movie. Maybe it's because it came right after Guardians of the Galaxy which I thought had the same problems.
It's enjoyable, but by no means groundbreaking or good.

Same here. I wouldn't even call it enjoyable as I was bored most of the time. It felt like I've seen this movie a couple of times before: The Iron Giant and How to Train Your Dragon came to my mind multiple times while I was watching BH6. The characters were the worst, cliché after cliché (stock precocious teenager, stock tough girl, stock 'girly' girl, stock stoner guy, stock OCD nerd, stock entity that has to be taught humanity and the art of social skills) and not one standout. Outside of the few touching moments (which were predictable to the max) it was a bland snooze-fest which is, IMHO, the worst crime a movie can commit.


Oh, Mooky, Mooky, Mooky. You and Taei could not be anymore wrong about BH6 even if you both tried. :glare:

Author:  disneyphilip [ Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

disneyprincess11 wrote:
.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]But, I just don't like that they killed him off at the end. No matter what the robot is, that's not the Baymax we've experienced. :(


Don't be delusional. They did not kill off Baymax. You know he came back to life, even though he had to be rebuilt. Remember: as Tadashi said, it's his green programming chip that makes Baymax Baymax, so it's still Baymax back from the dead no matter what, because it's the chip that contains his personality, memories, etc.

Author:  taei [ Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

disneyphilip wrote:

Oh, Mooky, Mooky, Mooky. You and Taei could not be anymore wrong about BH6 even if you both tried. :glare:


Oh boy... Aren't you like 5 months late?

Author:  Mooky [ Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

disneyphilip wrote:

Oh, Mooky, Mooky, Mooky. You and Taei could not be anymore wrong about BH6 even if you both tried. :glare:

Image

Author:  disneyprincess11 [ Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

disneyphilip wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:
.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]But, I just don't like that they killed him off at the end. No matter what the robot is, that's not the Baymax we've experienced. :(


Don't be delusional. They did not kill off Baymax. You know he came back to life, even though he had to be rebuilt.


:roll: :roll: :roll:

Author:  Sorcerer Mickey [ Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Disney celebrated a second victory over the weekend as the Oscar-winning Big Hero 6 became the top-grossing animated release of 2014 ahead of How to Train Your Dragon 2 ($618.9 million) thanks to a late run in China and other key international markets. Through Sunday, Big Hero's global tally is $632.8 million, including $75.8 million in Japan and $66.5 million in China, where it has become the No. 1 non-sequel animated film of all time after 16 days of release, and the No. 3 animated title of all time.


Just to add to its run in China, Big Hero 6 had already surpassed Frozen there a few days ago.

In the words of Emperor Joseph II from Amadeus: "Well, there it is."

Author:  Nala [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Can someone tell me if it's worth to buy the DVD of Big Hero 6.

Author:  kbehm29 [ Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

I'm confused. Do you mean buy the DVD and not the Blu-ray? Or do you mean buy it to add to your collection at all? It's a great movie. We've watched it a dozen times already. I highly recommend buying it on Blu-ray if you have a player, or DVD if you don't. You won't regret it, the movie has a lot of heart.

Wait. Do they even sell DVDs by themselves anymore? I think you have to buy it on BD to get the DVD. In any case - it's worth it!!!!!!!!

Author:  BelleGirl [ Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

When the DVD/Blu-ray edition of BH6 is released in The Netherlands, I will certainly buy it to add to my collection. Actually I do not really have to wait for that, since I have a blu-ray player that's region-free. But on the other hand I'm a patient woman...
I don't think there's so much difference in quality between DVD's and Blu-ray in general. It's only that nowadays , they do not put much bonus features on Dvd anymore, so that makes a choose for blu-ray more obvious.

Author:  Nala [ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

kbehm29 wrote:
I'm confused. Do you mean buy the DVD and not the Blu-ray? Or do you mean buy it to add to your collection at all? It's a great movie. We've watched it a dozen times already. I highly recommend buying it on Blu-ray if you have a player, or DVD if you don't. You won't regret it, the movie has a lot of heart.

Wait. Do they even sell DVDs by themselves anymore? I think you have to buy it on BD to get the DVD. In any case - it's worth it!!!!!!!!
Buy it to add to my collection. I have over 200 DVDs/Blu-Ray and more than half of that are Disney movies.They still do sell DVDs but I just bought a Blu-Ray player about a month ago and have since bought a few movies that I had in Blu-Ray.

Author:  rodis [ Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

BelleGirl wrote:
I don't think there's so much difference in quality between DVD's and Blu-ray in general. It's only that nowadays , they do not put much bonus features on Dvd anymore, so that makes a choose for blu-ray more obvious.


*SMH* :shock:

It's blurry vs. razor sharp quality.

Author:  BelleGirl [ Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

rodis wrote:
BelleGirl wrote:
I don't think there's so much difference in quality between DVD's and Blu-ray in general. It's only that nowadays , they do not put much bonus features on Dvd anymore, so that makes a choose for blu-ray more obvious.


*SMH* :shock:

It's blurry vs. razor sharp quality.


If that's so than the quality of dvd's must have dropped te last years! Deliberately perhaps?

Author:  Jules [ Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

BelleGirl wrote:
rodis wrote:
BelleGirl wrote:
I don't think there's so much difference in quality between DVD's and Blu-ray in general. It's only that nowadays , they do not put much bonus features on Dvd anymore, so that makes a choose for blu-ray more obvious.


*SMH* :shock:

It's blurry vs. razor sharp quality.


If that's so than the quality of dvd's must have dropped te last years! Deliberately perhaps?


Well it also depends on the equipment you're using. Comparing DVD to Blu-ray on a smallish 20" TV will reveal far less than say a 50" TV. On larger screen sizes DVDs look ... bad. :P

Author:  BelleGirl [ Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Jules wrote:
Well it also depends on the equipment you're using. Comparing DVD to Blu-ray on a smallish 20" TV will reveal far less than say a 50" TV. On larger screen sizes DVDs look ... bad. :P


Well, I think that 20" is about the size of my TV. Big enough for me. To call dvd-quality 'blurry' is quite an exaggeration if you aks me. I still got a lot of Disney-dvd's as 'special' or 'deluxe edition' with 2 discs and chock-full of bonus features. I think it's a waste of money to exchange them all for new blu-ray editions. I'm not that rich! :|

Author:  Jules [ Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Well, I think what bothers me most about DVD-Video is not so much the reduced resolution, but the compression artefacts that come along with it. Certain titles do not look significantly sharper on Blu-ray than they on their DVD editions (e.g. the early Disney features ... Snow White, Pinocchio, etc.) but the complete absence of compression and macroblocking makes them a sight to behold.

On your TV I'm sure DVDs must look pretty good. Sometimes I come across DVDs which look really good even on large displays. The last time I noticed this was on my Region 2 Chicken Run DVD. The video quality was uniformly excellent.

Author:  Disney's Divinity [ Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

I finally got to see BH6 tonight. Now I don’t feel too bad about waiting so long, since I didn’t really enjoy it.

I suppose I feel about the brothers the way many felt about Elsa and Anna in Frozen--the less interesting brother is the lead. Of course, I actually liked Anna, unlike a lot of people here. I didn’t care for Hiro. But I loved Tadashi, and it was interesting to have a male character with his personality. My favorite scene was the one in which he introduced Baymax to Hiro, just because of the expressions he was making while Baymax talked (as if he was speaking the words in his mind). Still, I felt Elsa and Anna had a more believable relationship than Tadashi and Hiro. Many things in this film felt forced and by-the-numbers for me (particularly using a phrase like “find another angle!” as something inspirational…), and the brothers’ interactions for the most part didn’t feel genuine. A lesser version of Nani/Lilo to me, actually. Like with Tadashi/Hiro, I loved Nani and Lilo irritated the ever-loving **** out of me; unlike Tadashi/Hiro, Nani and Lilo's relationship felt very real.

The group of “nerds” was mostly lost on me. The only one I felt anything towards was Honey Gogo, just because her voice, design, and personality all came together, imo. All 4 of them are stock characters, but I still managed to enjoy her (although it might be because she reminds me of Starfire from Teen Titans). I couldn’t really understand why they would want to become superheroes or why I should root for them to do so. All I could think throughout the action scenes was how they were risking their lives without any fighting skills; I especially found it hard to watch Hiro put his life in the hands of a robot several time. The villain was a complete flop, even compared to the low standard of this new Disney “era.” I thought Baymax was entertaining, but I found it hard to latch onto the relationship between Hiro and Baymax because I don’t believe robots can have real personalities or emotions. I could’ve understood the angle of Hiro unconsciously filling the loss of Tadashi with Baymax--and that being the emotional core of the movie when he thinks he’s losing Baymax in the climax--more if Tadashi and Baymax had the same voice actor, for example.

I will say the film was very pretty. I thought the Tokyo/San Francisco mashup was bizarre, visually, but most of the animation was gorgeous to watch. I loved what they did with the inside of the portal. I noticed Hiro looked much better in the concept art/drawings during the credits; something about his mouth/nose/chin didn’t work for me in the film itself (but I have that same problem with most 3D human characters Disney's created). The rest of the characters looked the same or better though.

Overall, I’d rank it below Frozen, TP&TF, WIR, and Tangled. As far as “pacing issues” go, I thought this film was much worse in that regard than TP&TF or Frozen. It felt very rushed, and I felt little investment or emotion in anything happening--although that's tied into the fact that the only character I really liked died early.

Sorcerer Mickey wrote:
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Disney celebrated a second victory over the weekend as the Oscar-winning Big Hero 6 became the top-grossing animated release of 2014 ahead of How to Train Your Dragon 2 ($618.9 million) thanks to a late run in China and other key international markets. Through Sunday, Big Hero's global tally is $632.8 million, including $75.8 million in Japan and $66.5 million in China, where it has become the No. 1 non-sequel animated film of all time after 16 days of release, and the No. 3 animated title of all time.


I'm glad it's done well in China and Japan. I went to boxofficemojo.com after reading that, and they still have it about half of Frozen's numbers, overall, although I'm guessing it isn't done yet.

Author:  DisneyFan09 [ Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Well, it seems like we can agree to disagree this time, Disney Divinity.

I thought Hiro and Tadashi's relationship to be superior to Elsa and Anna's dynamic. The reason is because their relationship was more enhanced, despite their little screentime. Their dynamic was obviously more genuine and heartfelt and therefore more investable. Although I prefered Tadashi (considering that I'm a older brother myself) because I liked his personality better, there's no doubt that Hiro was more dimensional and human. I know that users here are probably fed up with my rant about Elsa and Anna's dynamic.

Anna and Elsa's dynamic was hampered by their little screentime, so of course they had less interaction. Yet they were both one-dimensional stereotypes and so radically different that there wasn't really any dynamic between them. And due to Elsa suffering from lesser screentime, she was less enhanced.

Author:  sunhuntin [ Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

releases on bluray/dvd down under on the 1st april. will be going after work and buying it as a birthday present for myself :D

Author:  Semaj [ Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Disney's Divinity wrote:
The group of “nerds” was mostly lost on me. The only one I felt anything towards was Honey Gogo, just because her voice, design, and personality all came together, imo. All 4 of them are stock characters, but I still managed to enjoy her (although it might be because she reminds me of Starfire from Teen Titans). I couldn’t really understand why they would want to become superheroes or why I should root for them to do so. All I could think throughout the action scenes was how they were risking their lives without any fighting skills; I especially found it hard to watch Hiro put his life in the hands of a robot several time. The villain was a complete flop, even compared to the low standard of this new Disney “era.” I thought Baymax was entertaining, but I found it hard to latch onto the relationship between Hiro and Baymax because I don’t believe robots can have real personalities or emotions. I could’ve understood the angle of Hiro unconsciously filling the loss of Tadashi with Baymax--and that being the emotional core of the movie when he thinks he’s losing Baymax in the climax--more if Tadashi and Baymax had the same voice actor, for example.

I will say the film was very pretty. I thought the Tokyo/San Francisco mashup was bizarre, visually, but most of the animation was gorgeous to watch. I loved what they did with the inside of the portal. I noticed Hiro looked much better in the concept art/drawings during the credits; something about his mouth/nose/chin didn’t work for me in the film itself (but I have that same problem with most 3D human characters Disney's created). The rest of the characters looked the same or better though.


Like with any film, they had a lot to work with for this film. Fred, Wasabi, and Gogo looked great in CGI. But something about Hiro and a couple other characters felt very watered down, like since he was the lead, they had to Americanize him to make him more "appealing". Though, Disney has likely done this before.

Also, I'm assuming the original comic took place in Tokyo. It would be fine if this film took place in San Francisco's Asian district, if that's what they were going for. But even when Americanizing their characters, Disney never had a problem setting films in other nations.

Author:  dvdjunkie [ Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Big Hero 6

Big Hero 6 has been on the movie schedule at The Regent Center for Vibrant Living for over two months now, and I had the pleasure of showing it last night to a very warm crowd of about 60 seniors and their grandchildren.

I volunteer at this wonder Senior center and we have a full size movie theater within the confines of this three-story building that contains over 200 one and two bedroom apartments and provides a comfortable living for those who reside there. They have a 24-hour coffee shop and fully-equipped gym, with regularly scheduled workouts. They also provide meals in their grand restaurant eighteen hours a day.

So far all those movies nominated for Academy Awards, winners and losers alike, have been shown at our theater, with the exception of one or two. I am on the Movie Committee and with the help of two other people on the committee we can come up with our movies from our own collection, and the ones that we can't we get through Netflix Streaming or my Vudu account which I share with them.

After the film, last night, most of the attendees were amazed about how far Disney has come in this new age of technology. And by request, the last Friday of the month is Disney Animated Friday, and for the month of April we are going way back and showing Pinocchio.

Page 61 of 62 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/