Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Super Aurora wrote:If WDAS does do one, I have no doubt it will be dumbed down or regressed to little boys instead.
I thought the same thing. If we're correct in guessing that WDAS will create the character for a film before Marvel take over for a comic book series, I wonder how much creative control Disney would want to retain over it once it's in Marvel's hands.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:There are multiple fairy tales in development at Diz, and a person told me that Hall is developing some action thingie. But tied to a Marvel property? If memory serves, no. (But maybe this is later news. I get around so little.)
Anonymous #1 wrote:Yes, it is true, but not what fans are thinking of character-wise. And as Steve says, it's in development, which is a long way from being made.
Anonymous #2 wrote:The project has been in active development for even longer, as Steve Hulett suggests many projects are.
Anonymous #3 wrote:It's easy - "Big Hero 6"

They mentioned it at one of the 'Paperman' presentations.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... isney.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

So it's not Marvel, huh?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6

Judging by the synopsis I'm guessing that post on the TAG Blog about Big Hero 6 is either sarcastic or mistaken as this particularly comic doesn't exactly scream "Disney adaptation".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Judging by the synopsis I'm guessing that post on the TAG Blog about Big Hero 6 is either sarcastic or mistaken as this particularly comic doesn't exactly scream "Disney adaptation".
Well, anonymous comments are to be taken with a grain of salt.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote:Well, anonymous comments are to be taken with a grain of salt.
Most definitely. The most recent anonymous comments seem to be pointing towards Disney doing something with one of the more obscure Marvel characters so it would be interesting if that were to eventually be the case. That last post makes a good point; when you read Marvel you automatically assume Spiderman or X-Men or The Avengers and forget how many other characters that company has created. I still prefer the idea of Disney creating the character before collaborating with Marvel on it, perhaps in a comic book series, but I'm interested to see what this might become.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Did you know that WDAS was actually working on a superhero movie in the early 2000s? Thomas Schumacher (the then president of WDFA) shot it down as The Incredibles was already in development at Pixar and there were too many similarities between the two projects.

I've read that in an article a while back. I'll try to find it, if you're interested.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Sotiris wrote:Did you know that WDAS was actually working on a superhero movie in the early 2000s? Thomas Schumacher (the then president of WDFA) shot it down as The Incredibles was already in development at Pixar and there were too many similarities between the two projects.

I've read that in an article a while back. I'll try to find it, if you're interested.
That sounds really interesting. It'll be cool, if you can post it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pokeholic_Prince wrote:It'll be cool, if you can post it.
I've found it. Here it is:
John Sanford wrote:In 1999, story on Atlantis was winding down, so I began thinking about what I’d do next. Don Hahn suggested that I try pitching my own idea to direct, kind of like the way Chris pitched Lilo and Stitch. Well, I always loved superheroes and decided I’d try to pitch a superhero movie. I had an idea that I kind of jammed with Sanders on, so I wrote a treatment and turned it into Leo Chu, who was vice president of development at Disney at the time.

Leo was super cool. He’s a comic book fan himself, so he gave me some great notes and guidance. We gave the revised treatment to then Feature Animation President, Tom Schumacher, and he liked it a lot. Tom told me to work up a beat board presentation, but cautioned me that they had a similar project up at Pixar (The Incredibles) and that I should try my best to my project away from theirs. This was difficult as all I knew about The Incredibles at that time was that it was about a family of superheroes, focusing on the Father, and that they were in a sort of witness protection program and that they lived in the suburbs.

Well, I only had one hero, a girl, and was focusing on the relationship between the girl and her mother with the superhero story being a framing device, much the same way we used the war story in Mulan. I worked on the project for about 4 months. Man, that was fun. I got Jeff Ranjo and Joe Mosier to do rough character designs and got to work with Chris Williams for a few weeks to hammer out some structure issues. This whole time, I was working with Leo, who was great. I got to write and draw superheroes for four months at Disney, and got paid for it! Anyway, at the end of the four months, we made a big presentation to Tom and Pam Coats, the head of development. Tom said “This is great. I can’t believe how well you’ve thought this out. It’s got the right tone, it’s emotional, the relationships are fun. It’s great. Unfortunately, it is still too close to The Incredibles. This would be our 2004 release, and I cannot see releasing two superhero movies this similar in the same year.” Later, I’d see The Incredibles and see that he was right. There were story beats in both that were identical! Anyway, Tom liked it so much, he told me to go try again with a different idea.

I went back to my office and tried to come up with different feature ideas.
Source: http://fullecirclestuff.blogspot.com/20 ... nford.html
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Thanks a lot for that article Sotiris, I had never heard of this particular project before and it sounds like an interesting idea. For me The Incredibles is the best film Pixar have made and I can understand why WDAS didn't progress with their film but I've always liked how Tom Schumacher was encouraging of projects that weren't the norm at WDAS like this one and My Peoples.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I've always liked how Tom Schumacher was encouraging of projects that weren't the norm at WDAS like this one and My Peoples.
I'm not so sure about that. He was also the one who turned "Sweating Bullets" into "Home on the Range". Mike Giamo, the art director of "Pocahontas" and "Frozen", in a recent interview spoke harshly about his former boss, criticizing his "underhanded" methods and spoke about the troubles he went through with him during the development of "Sweating Bullets". Giamo was to be the co-director of the movie along with Mike Gabriel.

I suppose, though, there are two sides to every story. Nevertheless, from what I read, I get the impression that Tom is not remembered fondly by the people who worked with him.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote:Mike Giamo, the art director of "Pocahontas" and "Frozen", in a recent interview spoke harshly about his former boss, criticizing his "underhanded" methods and spoke about the troubles he went through with him during the development of "Sweating Bullets".
I wasn't aware of that; I'm obviously not as clued in on the recent history of WDAS as a I though I was. I read an article on Jim Hill's website about My Peoples where Barry Cook had spoken of Tom Schumacher quite positively and I hadn't really read that much negative talk of him before.
Sotiris wrote:Nevertheless, from what I read, I get the impression that Tom is not remembered fondly by the people who worked with him.
Do you think they remember him more or less favourably than his successor David Stainton?
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Thanks Sotiris, that was a interesting article and I had never heard of the project. I really like "The Incredibles" and it's one of my all time favorites. However this idea sounds really cool too. I like the fact the hero would have been a girl, which is very rare in superhero movies where a girl is the main hero. Hopefully the new project is similiar to this one at least the female heroine part.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Do you think they remember him more or less favourably than his successor David Stainton?
More favorably, of course. I remember the vitriol gushing in the comment section of Cartoon Brew when it was recently announced that Stainton had become the president of Paramount Animation. :lol:
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote:More favorably, of course.
:lol: I would have been very shocked if you had answered any differently.

It's interesting looking over the internet at the different speculation and rumours surrounding this film. A few websites have suggested that the Marvel character that they think could be suited for a Disney adaptation, if that is the route that Disney is going down on this film, is one called Dr. Strange which I haven't heard of before. It's obviously all completely unsubstantiated at the moment but the idea that Disney and Marvel might collaborate on a film seems to be stirring up quite a bit of interest.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:More favorably, of course.
:lol: I would have been very shocked if you had answered any differently.

It's interesting looking over the internet at the different speculation and rumours surrounding this film. A few websites have suggested that the Marvel character that they think could be suited for a Disney adaptation, if that is the route that Disney is going down on this film, is one called Dr. Strange which I haven't heard of before. It's obviously all completely unsubstantiated at the moment but the idea that Disney and Marvel might collaborate on a film seems to be stirring up quite a bit of interest.
Dr. Strange is the uber powerful Sorcerer. Uses assloads of cosmic magic.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Okay, an animated movie with Disney, is that something that might actually happen? I know you always said “No” to Pixar, but Disney animation…

Kevin Feige: Well, I haven’t said no to Pixar, but Pixar is clearly doing their own thing. Yeah, no I’m not going to be the one to say what it is, but as you might imagine when we have thousands of characters and properties and now are owned by Disney, who has the greatest animation studio on earth, there are going to be discussions.

Q: Okay.

Kevin Feige: So I don’t know what you’re alluding to. I don’t know what’s out there now online.

Q: There’s nothing specific, just that something might… There might be an animated Marvel movie.

Kevin Feige: There are certainly discussions.
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/26/ ... aboration/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Cool in my book. Bring it on.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:But the one I'm truly looking forward to is the one that is scheduled for release after 2013.

It's truly unlike anything WDAS has ever done before...
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... awing.html
John Lasseter wrote:Well, I can't say anything about that because Marvel just got—[they've] been a couple years as part of the Disney company, we've been six years as part of the Disney company. And at Pixar, we stay focused on making original films. Even our sequels are kind of created internally and we come up with ideas [on our own]. I'm also leading the Walt Disney Animation Studio and all of that. These studios are filmmaker driven studios, so if a filmmaker comes to me and says, 'Hey, I wanna do this,' then I would be really open to it.
Source: http://collider.com/john-lasseter-pixar ... ie/172972/
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Maybe it's just me but I don't see why Pixar would want to collaborate with Marvel on a film when they have already produced a hugely successful superhero film in The Incredibles, a film that is popular enough that a lot of people actually want to see a sequel in the future.

Personally, I'm still not sold on the idea of WDAS producing a film based on an existing Marvel character but I won't write off the idea entirely. I'd rather Disney create an original character which could then be a basis for a Marvel comic series, as has been rumoured as a possibility. I get the impression from the video that Lasseter was kind of subtly distancing Pixar from the Marvel rumours and I thought he didn't seem entirely comfortable with the question.