Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Walt Disney Animation‘s upcoming Big Hero 6, about a heroic superhero team, is currently an open writing assignment, with no scribe currently attached to the project. The film will be produced by Kristina Reed.
Source: http://www.itsonthegrid.com/news/news-o ... ig-hero-6/
Honor Hunter wrote:OK, many of you wanted to know this and now you shall...

I promised my Bothans that I wouldn't reveal much about the Marvel project that Walt Disney Animation Studios was working on, that I would only allude to it until something else broke about it. Well, now a website has let the cat out of the bag. Remember that I mentioned that the property would be unlike anything the Mouse had done before? I also mentioned to some that inquired about it, that Marvel owns 4000+ characters and everyone was thinking it was an animated "Iron Man" or "X-Men" or even "Power Pack." Well, it's not. It's not one of the top 100 or 200 characters even. The actual title is much more obscure than most people know. In fact, most comic book fans will not even know the title, or most of the characters. So, what is the title/characters that Disney is adapting into an animated film?

Big Hero 6.

What? Yes, I know. It's not exactly a top title that many would remember. There have been, I believe, two series runs of this group and neither were very well known. If you want to know more about the characters then click on the link and read up. You may be seeing them in the near future. And if you want to know how soon? Well, after "Wreck-It Ralph" this year, next year is the Snow Queen adaptation, "Frozen" for 2013, but the slot that is set for 2014 has been put aside for Don Hall's project. Don Hall is the director of "Big Hero 6." In fact, he's the one that pitched the idea to Lasseter, who liked his take on the subject and approved it for development. Now, it's not fully green lit. The project is story boarded and has been deemed strong enough to tentatively put in the production line. So, if the story and script work out then you can expect this project to be the FIRST DISNEY ANIMATED MARVEL FILM.
Michael Crawford wrote:Big 6 is indeed going to be the animated film.
Anonymous wrote:I would bet buckets of money that none of the anonymous commentators have read Big 6 and certainly none of them are familiar with Don Hall's story approach. The unwillingness of Disney "fans" to try something different drives me crazy.
Honor Hunter wrote:I agree with you. If Don had not been so passionate with his pitch, then Lasseter wouldn't have approved it. From all I've heard, it is different, but it is good. People should read one of the issues before they make up their minds. Particularly, the newest series.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2012/06/big-ideas.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Meehhhh. I'd rather a fairytale if I have to be honest.

Edit- (But i will still be interested in the development and I really hope it does well)
Last edited by DisneyDude2010 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'll keep an open mind, to be honest I can't say I hate this idea and I really thought I would if they went down this route. The characters are obscure enough that Disney can do something original with them and not be hindered by anything that ties them to the Marvel comics that they're based on. I don't know about anyone else but I really hope they changes the names, I can't say I like GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon and Wasabi-No-Ginger :lol: .

One thing I'm intrigued about, does anyone think that this will be a collaboration between Disney and Marvel and that Marvel artists and staff will be involved with it? Or will it be a WDAS-only project?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyDude, I can't tell if that's a wish that Disney should stick to fairy tales or that you dislike this idea so much, you'd watch rather their millionth fairy tale.

Either, they're releasing a fairy tale adaptation next year and I would rather Disney not stick to one genre.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:One thing I'm intrigued about, does anyone think that this will be a collaboration between Disney and Marvel and that Marvel artists and staff will be involved with it? Or will it be a WDAS-only project?
I want to know this too.

I hope the film will open with the WDAS and Marvel logo together.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Jules wrote:I hope the film will open with the WDAS and Marvel logo together.
I actually hope the opposite and that it will be a WDAS-only production. I wouldn't mind a "based on characters from the Marvel comic..." credit but I don't want the lines between the two companies to become too blurred. I can see Marvel creating a comic series that ties in with the film when it's released but I would prefer this film to be produced solely by Disney.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Urghhh. I'd rather a fairytale if I have to be honest.
Disney has done plenty of fairy tales.

I can't be the only one who's kind of glad that WDAS is taking a break from fairy tales, am I?
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

I never quite understood why Disney are so often associated with fairy tales (Actually I can, it's the marketing). Only 6 of their 51 animated movies have been based on fairy tales (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled). Not to mention that there was a 30 year gap between Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid and a 19 year gap between BATB and Tangled. Them not making a movie based on a fairy tale is par on the course, really. More often they have done adaptations of books rather than fairy tales.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Avaitor wrote:I can't be the only one who's kind of glad that WDAS is taking a break from fairy tales, am I?
I am. I'm glad they're pursuing other types of projects like Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6.
qindarka wrote:I never quite understood why Disney are so often associated with fairy tales (Actually I can, it's the marketing). Them not making a movie based on a fairy tale is par on the course, really. More often they have done adaptations of books rather than fairy tales.
Agreed. Just imagine all the great movies we would have missed if Disney strictly produced films based on fairy tales.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

qindarka wrote:I never quite understood why Disney are so often associated with fairy tales (Actually I can, it's the marketing). Only 6 of their 51 animated movies have been based on fairy tales (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled). Not to mention that there was a 30 year gap between Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid and a 19 year gap between BATB and Tangled. Them not making a movie based on a fairy tale is par on the course, really. More often they have done adaptations of books rather than fairy tales.
I think Joe Public would also consider Pinocchio, Aladdin, and The Princess and the Frog to fall in that genre. Whether or not they actually do is beside the point if the issue is why do people perceive Disney making primarily fairy tales.

That's 9 out of 51 (since WiR hasn't released yet). If you don't include films like Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun & Fancy Free, Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros and perhaps Ichabod & Mr. Toad that non-Disney fans have probably heard of, you probably get a number that equates to 20% of their canon. If you also exclude sequel films (which the public may not be savvy enough to realize it's not the same film such as Fantasia 2000, Winnie the Pooh and the Rescuers Down Under, and films that may not necessarily scream "animated classic" like Dinosaur the number starts to get closer to 25%.

(Oh, and 60% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right ;))
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:D

I say Don Hall should go for it because it would be great to get Disney into new boundtraries and since they now have Marvel they can expand even more territories.Like superhero movies because I mean when has Disney done a superhero movie besides live action ones from the Disney channel and Pixar.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

RyGuy wrote:I think Joe Public would also consider Pinocchio, Aladdin, and The Princess and the Frog to fall in that genre. Whether or not they actually do is beside the point if the issue is why do people perceive Disney making primarily fairy tales.

That's 9 out of 51 (since WiR hasn't released yet). If you don't include films like Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun & Fancy Free, Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros and perhaps Ichabod & Mr. Toad that non-Disney fans have probably heard of, you probably get a number that equates to 20% of their canon. If you also exclude sequel films (which the public may not be savvy enough to realize it's not the same film such as Fantasia 2000, Winnie the Pooh and the Rescuers Down Under, and films that may not necessarily scream "animated classic" like Dinosaur the number starts to get closer to 25%.

(Oh, and 60% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right ;))
Yes, I do understand that the general public perceives things this way. Its probably much more than 25% as I don't think the regular moviegoer has much familiarity with Disney's 'Dark Age' movies and the ones in the early 2000s. Other movies such as Peter Pan (which is based on a play and a book) may also be considered to be fairy tales by the public under some strange definition of the term.

I just find it to be a pity that WDAS is so commonly associated with fairy tales and princesses due to the company's marketing.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Disney's marketing strategy strikes again.But yeah no one remembers much of Dark Age of Disney movies.In my opinion those were very diverse.I think in this new age that Disney is heading into doing diverse movies as well from fairy tales to superhero movies to even a videogame based movie that is coming out.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I'll keep an open mind, to be honest I can't say I hate this idea and I really thought I would if they went down this route. The characters are obscure enough that Disney can do something original with them and not be hindered by anything that ties them to the Marvel comics that they're based on. I don't know about anyone else but I really hope they changes the names, I can't say I like GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon and Wasabi-No-Ginger :lol: .

One thing I'm intrigued about, does anyone think that this will be a collaboration between Disney and Marvel and that Marvel artists and staff will be involved with it? Or will it be a WDAS-only project?
Well, Honey Lemon's an homage to a classic anime, Cutey Honey.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

estefan wrote:DisneyDude, I can't tell if that's a wish that Disney should stick to fairy tales or that you dislike this idea so much, you'd watch rather their millionth fairy tale.

Either, they're releasing a fairy tale adaptation next year and I would rather Disney not stick to one genre.

Well it's not a wish. I just skeptical about the idea of the crossover that's all. I CAN'T WAIT FOR WRECK IT RALPH because that's a great new direction the studio is going in. With SuperHero movies they either do really well or not so well (Green Lantern, Megamind) I'm all up for new idea's, But doesn't Marvel have their own animation team?
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Doesn't Fox own the theatrical film rights to Silver Samurai and Sunfire through the X-Men universe? I suppose they'll use the new version of Big Hero 6 that doesn't include them.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Walt Disney Animation Studios is officially joining forces with Marvel. Big Hero 6 is not as well known as The Avengers, but it’s another group of powerful individuals with wildly different histories and powers, united by the Japanese government as a crisis-fighting super-squad.

Disney reps confirmed to EW that the film is in the early stages of development, though they declined to specify which filmmakers are involved.
Source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/06/29/d ... -breaking/
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I have a feeling they need to do this right or they will incite the wrath of many Marvel fans that might still be bitter Disney bought their favorite comic book company. :wink:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

jazzflower92 wrote:I have a feeling they need to do this right or they will incite the wrath of many Marvel fans that might still be bitter Disney bought their favorite comic book company. :wink:
Actually many Marvel Fans don't mind Disney buying Marvel and actually find it beneficial for them.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Then again Disney is when it really puts its mind to it is able to produce some good stuff.When its just cheap it will produce some crud like High School Musical or those cheaquals they used to do.

I have a feeling this could possibly be good because there isn't a lot of focus on Asian superheros or Asian characters in general.I hope they can at least get some Asian actors on the project.Especially a guy I like to call Dante Basco.I know the guy is Filopino but he did voice Jake from American Dragon.So,I would be happy if he voiced a character for this project.