DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm sure Miranda will get it eventually; Disney will help him. You know, I was reading back a few pages in this thread looking for that quote about Tangled I remembered from Menken, and I was reminded of how things seemed to change very suddenly for Menken when Lasseter was ousted (he was invited back to do a song on Ralph Breaks the Internet). I wonder if him winning this award is another case of that weight being lifted, that Disney actually pushed for him to get this award? And even though I'm not a fan of Miranda, I can imagine him pushing Disney in Menken's favor, too, if he really is the fan of TLM he claims to be. And since Miranda is Disney's golden child at the moment (who knows why, you'd think they'd be more grateful to the Lopezes), maybe his influence would mean something?

Who knows. I just think it's funny all these years it seemed like Disney wouldn't even push anything by Menken to be nominated at the awards when Lasseter was in charge. And then he suddenly wins for a children's show that didn't even have great ratings? Feels like a wind change to me. I'd be surprised if he ever made music for a new WDAS film again, but at least the studio doesn't seem against him anymore.

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:19 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm a bit disappointed Menken missed out on a Primetime Emmy nomination for The Little Mermaid Live!, but I'm not surprised. Variety Special (Live) is competitive category and The Little Mermaid Live! was not received well. The video/live performance hybrid format put a lot of people off. Hopefully, they'll rethink this approach for future productions. If you want to put on a live show, you need to go all in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:31 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I just think it's funny all these years it seemed like Disney wouldn't even push anything by Menken to be nominated at the awards when Lasseter was in charge. And then he suddenly wins for a children's show that didn't even have great ratings? Feels like a wind change to me. I'd be surprised if he ever made music for a new WDAS film again, but at least the studio doesn't seem against him anymore.

Personally, when it was announced he would make the songs for the show I was sure he would finally get the Emmy. I was even more convinced when I saw the quality of the first songs. But after all the snubs, I had lost almost all hope. I'm glad it finally happened because I don't know if he would have had many more opportunities after this show.

I hope he makes music for at least one more WDAS film, but now that he's working at Skydance I see it even more difficult than before. I'm glad he's gotten the opportunity to work on an animated film again, though, even though it's from the studio led by Lasseter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda Will Perform Together at Virtual Walt Disney Family Museum Fundraiser:
http://www.playbill.com/article/alan-me ... fundraiser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:20 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:

I hope he makes music for at least one more WDAS film, but now that he's working at Skydance I see it even more difficult than before.
I think it's more possible he could do a WDAS film again now than any time in the last decade, with power having shifted there. He's also worked at Dreamworks, I think, but I don't think that would stop him from going back to WDAS. He still does things for other parts of the Disney company after all. Who knows what the future holds.

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think it's more possible he could do a WDAS film again now than any time in the last decade, with power having shifted there. He's also worked at Dreamworks, I think, but I don't think that would stop him from going back to WDAS. He still does things for other parts of the Disney company after all. Who knows what the future holds.

I had forgotten he was going to do a film for Dreamworks, but it seems that was cancelled and I don't think he has done anything else for them. But you're right that he has worked for other studios and that hasn't stopped him from returning to Disney. However, he usually provided just one song or the score to these projects and now he's doing a full musical for Skydance. And I'm not sure things have changed for him with the new management at WDAS. If Disney had offered him an animated film, he probably wouldn't have gone to Skydance. Anyway, what I meant is that right now I don't see it very likely, but I agree that he could return to WDAS in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:41 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

An Evening with Alan Menken:
https://youtu.be/ns0ordtTo4Y

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26