Alan Menken News & Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Alan Menken News & Discussion

Post by Jäger-Rose »

And I even shook is hand :o
It was such a crazy day for me, seriously. After seeing him perform at D23 Expo two years ago (which I let him know as well :D ) it was such a pleasure to meet him like this!
Image Image Image Image Image
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You're so lucky! I'm glad you asked about "Proud of Your Boy." :up: His answer was about what I expected. I'm just happy he got a new song to create for the film in "Speechless" (similar to how "Evermore" was his baby for the live-action B&tB).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for sharing, Jäger-Rose! I'm so envious you got to meet him! You did a great interview! The questions, and the answers you got from him were really interesting.
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

Thank you, both!

As it turns out, I will indeed be in the US when Hercules is performed in Central Park. But NYC isn't on my list for that trip. And if Alan himself says the tickets will be difficult to get then I guess I'm not flying there from FL or CA. :D

But he did give me some hope that we might see and hear more of this Hercules show in the future. (But please don't make my favorite movie ever one of those live action remakes... :( )
Image Image Image Image Image
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Two different productions of Little Shop of Horrors are coming!

Jonathan Groff Set For ‘Little Shop Of Horrors’ Off-Broadway Revival
https://deadline.com/2019/07/jonathan-g ... 202650505/

Mj Rodriguez, Amber Riley and George Salazar to Tackle 'Little Shop of Horrors'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... rs-1225156
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Really fantastic interview with Menken mainly about LSOH (The Off-Broadway revival was fantastic btw!) and Ashman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot4VmtN9VnA
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

EGOT WINNER ALAN MENKEN :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

:pink: I love that it's for Disney! :mickana: I wonder if it'll mean much to Disney- I hope so! Congrats, Mr. Menken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Disney's Divinity

So Menken is officially an EGOT now? I wasn't sure if Daytime Emmy's counted the same or not?

EDIT: He's been added to the EGOT page on Wikipedia, so I guess it counts. :lol: I can't help thinking how appropriate he wins with "Waiting in the Wings." The lyrics fit this moment so well, considering he's been waiting so long to get this Emmy. I wish he'd got it for Galavant, but Tangled: The Series was definitely worthy of doing the job. So it began with The Little Mermaid (the first original film property he worked on for WDAS) in 1989 at the Academy Awards and ended with Tangled (the final original film property he worked on for WDAS) in 2020 at the Daytime Emmy's. :) I'm so happy for him.

EDIT (again): I just saw his age is 71. I didn't know he was that old! I thought he was around mid-60s. He's aged well.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

:o

I thought he was in his early-mid 60s. He looks great for his age!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Wow, I can't believe it's true! This award seemed so difficult to get despite the quality of his songs. I'm so happy for him too! :D
Disney's Divinity wrote:He's been added to the EGOT page on Wikipedia, so I guess it counts. :lol:
The Hollywood Reporter also reports it, so yes, it does count.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I just saw his age is 71. I didn't know he was that old! I thought he was around mid-60s. He's aged well.
I didn't know it either. I knew he had to be close to 70, but I thought he hadn't turned that age yet. He definitely doesn't look his age.
Disney's Divinity

I'm guessing it wasn't a coincidence the Tangled musical from the cruise line was uploaded earlier in the week. :P You know, I wonder how far in advance insiders find out the results, because I remember Menken saying something way back about what a boon Tangled had ended up being.* That was the same time hints for a Broadway musical began. I wonder if Disney already knew Tangled won. And since they're taking Frozen off Broadway, I'm sure they've been considering either Tangled or Moana to fill the "princess" void left by it.

* And it's very true, I never would've thought *Tangled* of all the things he's worked on would end up providing so much great Menken material via the TV series and even snag him the last big award. Especially with how the music was treated in the original film itself (and by the studio)! It's amazing the way things come together sometimes.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm guessing it wasn't a coincidence the Tangled musical from the cruise line was uploaded earlier in the week. :P
You're right, it probably wasn't. I don't think they know the results in advance, but maybe they had heard voters were liking the song and they were getting ready for a possible victory.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I never would've thought *Tangled* of all the things he's worked on would end up providing so much great Menken material via the TV series and even snag him the last big award. Especially with how the music was treated in the original film itself (and by the studio)! It's amazing the way things come together sometimes.
Yes, it is. It's a bit like what happened with Newsies. Then he finally received the Tony and now it's the Emmy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Amazing news! It was well deserved and long overdue! :party: Now he needs to aim for double EGOT! :D Just one more Tony and one more Emmy and he's set. He can't let Robert Lopez be the only one in that club. :P
Disney's Divinity wrote:I can't help thinking how appropriate he wins with "Waiting in the Wings." The lyrics fit this moment so well, considering he's been waiting so long to get this Emmy.
True, it's so fitting. I can't help but feel this win is in a way retribution for losing the Oscar he so deserved for Tangled.
Disney's Divinity

Wow, I didn't know Lopez was a twice EGOT. If he wins another Emmy with one of those other Tangled: The Series songs, what do you think Menken could realistically win another Tony with really? I know there's Hercules and Tangled that could be turned into Broadway shows, although I'm skeptical they could win. Maybe a Galavant show? I don't know.

And that's right, I'd forgot how "I See the Light" was shafted. For that horrible Randy Newman song from TS3, right?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If he wins another Emmy with one of those other Tangled: The Series songs, what do you think Menken could realistically win another Tony with really? I know there's Hercules and Tangled that could be turned into Broadway shows, although I'm skeptical they could win. Maybe a Galavant show? I don't know.
I think Hercules stands more of a chance than Tangled, but I agree it's a long shot for both. That's even if either of them makes it to Broadway. Galavant could win but its chances of actually getting made are very slim. Menken is attached to a stage musical adaptation of Night at the Museum so maybe that one? If the stars align...
Disney's Divinity wrote:And that's right, I'd forgot how "I See the Light" was shafted. For that horrible Randy Newman song from TS3, right?
Yes. :glare: Not even Pixar fans like that one. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If The Little Mermaid Live! is nominated tomorrow in the category Outstanding Variety Special (Live) at the Primetime Emmys, Menken will have scored another Emmy nomination. It's a long shot, but fingers crossed!
Disney's Divinity

I hope it gets the nomination. I know the show wasn't wonderful or anything, and this isn't a category for specific actors, but Queen Latifah, Amber Riley, and John Stamos did great jobs and it would be nice for them to get a pat on the back with a nom. And also Menken/Slater for the PUS reprise and the lyrics tying to the two halves of PUS. The performance of "If Only" was really nice, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apparently, only Alan Menken, Tim Rice, and Whoopi Goldberg have won both an EGOT and a Disney Legends Award.

Congratulations to Alan Menken—EGOT...and LEGOT!
https://d23.com/congratulations-to-alan ... and-legot/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I love that it's for Disney!
Me too. All the main awards he has received are for his works for Disney.
Sotiris wrote:Now he needs to aim for double EGOT! :D Just one more Tony and one more Emmy and he's set. He can't let Robert Lopez be the only one in that club.
:lol: Well, who knows? Now it doesn't seem that impossible anymore. I didn't know Robert Lopez was a double EGOT winner either and the only one to achieve that so far. Anyway, the EGOT club is still quite exclusive. Alan is only the 16th person ever to achieve that status. And I thought it was taking him a long time to get there, but according to this article, he has gotten it before other famous composers like Stephen Sondheim, John Williams, Elton John, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Marc Shaiman or Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who are all still one award away from getting it.
Sotiris wrote:Apparently, only Alan Menken, Tim Rice, and Whoopi Goldberg have won both an EGOT and a Disney Legends Award.
Wow, that's an even more exclusive club then. Alan is also probably the only REGOT :P, as he won a Razzie for Newsies (the film).