DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:52 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2646
ajmrowland wrote:
Barbossa wrote:
And I half expected Disney to start doing remakes of their classics in 3D CG. :roll:

Circle 7, anyone?


That has to be about the biggest Disney nightmare anyone can think of! And yet, part of me wonders why they have not tried that yet, I mean the re-make live action films? Creepy!

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
milojthatch wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
Barbossa wrote:
And I half expected Disney to start doing remakes of their classics in 3D CG. :roll:

Circle 7, anyone?


That has to be about the biggest Disney nightmare anyone can think of! And yet, part of me wonders why they have not tried that yet, I mean the re-make live action films? Creepy!


I think they were referring to to animated classics. Like, making Peter Pan or Pinocchio in CG.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 11291
ajmrowland wrote:
Well unfortunately, america only counts in american money.
Why? If Disney can take some of the profit from another area, why does it matter? All the money ends up in Disney's pocket anyway.

Quote:
And I think the budget is really just for *making* the movie rather than advertising and distribution.
I figured that. But I still don't think that theaters could cost that much, otherwise what would be the real incentive to make any movie. That's what I meant when I was asking "what these numbers were"--the cost of theaters/marketing. Is that number ever released for a film?

Moving away from the money stuff, I do wonder if TP&TF played a small role in Tangled's success. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm over-reaching, but I'm serious. I know there was that story about how TP&TF was one of the highest-selling DVD/Blu-ray titles in 2010, and I just wonder if maybe the public had thought of Disney as crap and wouldn't go to theaters to see a Disney movie prior to TP&TF's home release. Maybe TP&TF helped to change the public's minds about the quality of current Disney films, and then the choice of another fairy tale (Rapunzel) led everybody to believe they were moving up again? I know that's all just guesswork, but I do think it could have played a role. When you start to do well, and people start to like your movies again, you usually keep rising (as with Oliver and Company < TLM < B&TB < Aladdin < TLK)

I'm trying not to think it's because of the medium used, because it's too depressing to think that maybe the public really only cares about 3D these days. :(

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Aladdin 2019 ~ "Speechless (Full)"
Lady Gaga ~ "Million Reasons"
Ellie Goulding ~ "Love Me Like You Do"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2646
SWillie! wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
Barbossa wrote:
And I half expected Disney to start doing remakes of their classics in 3D CG. :roll:

Circle 7, anyone?


That has to be about the biggest Disney nightmare anyone can think of! And yet, part of me wonders why they have not tried that yet, I mean the re-make live action films? Creepy!


I think they were referring to to animated classics. Like, making Peter Pan or Pinocchio in CG.


I know, that is what I'm talking about. If they can re-make "Parent Trap" or "That Darn Cat," why not "Peter Pan" or "Jungle Book?" Part of me is intrigued that they have not tried. That said, I'd NEVER want them to do that, EVER!

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14172
In and Around the Hat
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... d-hat.html

Quote:
Part of the morning was spent ambling through Walt Disney Animation Studios. Had occasion to talk to several supes who pointed out that the studio has a bunch of different projects in development, and a bunch more are being pitched to Lasseter in the not-distant future.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 1260
Location: Buffalo
Still too vague...

_________________
Image
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 1209
Semaj wrote:
Still too vague...


Well, what did you expect? Projects being pitched aren't going to be made public, since anything can happen, and projects early in their developments won't be made public for the same reason. If they'll go through with something, then we'll know.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14172
Disney is being unreasonably secretive. Reboot Ralph will be released in just a year and we still know next to nothing about this project. No synopsis, or concept art or even title logo.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
Aaaah... I remember the 90's, when nothing was known about new projects until they came out. Sure, the Dutch 'Donald Duck' comic weekly would sometimes have tiny bits of information, but that was it! We had to wait till it was in the cinemas to see it! The surprise was much bigger, and we didn't have oppurtunity to pick a project apart and judge it and/or condemn it before it was released. The good old days...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm
Posts: 1088
I don't know whether it's unreasonably secretive of Disney to keep their cards close to their chest. Admittedly it can somtimes be quite frustrating to not know much about what they have planned but I would rather them continue to operate the way they are now than for them to announce a slate of films in various stages of production that are then delayed or cancelled (Snow Queen, King of the Elves).

_________________
We're not going to Guam, are we?


Last edited by DisneyAnimation88 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
Goliath wrote:
Aaaah... I remember the 90's, when nothing was known about new projects until they came out. Sure, the Dutch 'Donald Duck' comic weekly would sometimes have tiny bits of information, but that was it! We had to wait till it was in the cinemas to see it! The surprise was much bigger, and we didn't have oppurtunity to pick a project apart and judge it and/or condemn it before it was released. The good old days...


Amen. I wish they could still get away with doing this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:18 pm
Posts: 1410
I don't know, I still like to have a bit of information about the film, but it would be interesting to go into a film completely free of spoilers and judgment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
Disney's Divinity wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
Well unfortunately, america only counts in american money.
Why? If Disney can take some of the profit from another area, why does it matter? All the money ends up in Disney's pocket anyway.

Quote:
And I think the budget is really just for *making* the movie rather than advertising and distribution.
I figured that. But I still don't think that theaters could cost that much, otherwise what would be the real incentive to make any movie. That's what I meant when I was asking "what these numbers were"--the cost of theaters/marketing. Is that number ever released for a film?

Moving away from the money stuff, I do wonder if TP&TF played a small role in Tangled's success. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm over-reaching, but I'm serious. I know there was that story about how TP&TF was one of the highest-selling DVD/Blu-ray titles in 2010, and I just wonder if maybe the public had thought of Disney as crap and wouldn't go to theaters to see a Disney movie prior to TP&TF's home release. Maybe TP&TF helped to change the public's minds about the quality of current Disney films, and then the choice of another fairy tale (Rapunzel) led everybody to believe they were moving up again? I know that's all just guesswork, but I do think it could have played a role. When you start to do well, and people start to like your movies again, you usually keep rising (as with Oliver and Company < TLM < B&TB < Aladdin < TLK)

I'm trying not to think it's because of the medium used, because it's too depressing to think that maybe the public really only cares about 3D these days. :(


For the money thing, I dont really know. Prince Caspian was relatively succesful overseas, but Narnia was still dumped.

As for P&TF, there are a lot of factors, not the least of which being that most people associate quality Disney films almost exclusively with Fairy tales. You cannot deny that the way Disney marketed Tangled played a huge part in it. I also think word-of-mouth can really play a role in a film's success(if it isnt a huge-ass blockbuster)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 4749
Location: The Netherlands
Scarred4life wrote:
I don't know, I still like to have a bit of information about the film, but it would be interesting to go into a film completely free of spoilers and judgment.

Imagine Disney making Princess and the Frog as they saw fit, wthout pressure from outside... it may even have ended up a *good* film!

:P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm 
Offline
Special Edition

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 418
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
I don't know whether it's unreasonably secretive of Disney to keep their cards close to their chest. Admittedly it can somtimes be quite frustrating to not know much about what they have planned but I would rather them continue to operate the way they are now than for them to announce a slate of films in various stages of production that are then delayed or cancelled (Snow Queen, King of the Elves).

Actually, King of the Elves has been turned back on for about a year now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 1187
Location: Maine
When I saw The Princess and the Frog for the first time in theaters, all I knew about it was from from the trailer with gliding lines making sketches and a poster with the heroine holding the frog prince surrounded by humans, voodoo dolls, and animals. I was blown away when Facilier's song came on. I didn't know the movie's villain had a song and enjoyed every bit of it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm
Posts: 1088
FigmentJedi wrote:
Actually, King of the Elves has been turned back on for about a year now.


I know, I was referring to it being cancelled and then restarted. I meant that I would rather Disney be deep into production on a film that they are happy with and then announce it rather than announce several films that then get delayed and cancelled, as King of the Elves was for a time.

_________________
We're not going to Guam, are we?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2680
KubrickFan wrote:
Semaj wrote:
Still too vague...


Well, what did you expect? Projects being pitched aren't going to be made public, since anything can happen, and projects early in their developments won't be made public for the same reason. If they'll go through with something, then we'll know.

That's simply Lasseter's style. Ever since the Antz/A Bug's Life controversy, he has been very secretive about the projects Pixar are developing and he has brought that sensibility to Disney.

Heck, we have no idea what Pixar is making after Monsters University, aside from unknown flicks from Lee Unkrich and Pete Docter. Just like we don't know what projects Byron Howard, Nathan Greno, Ron Clements and John Musker are pitching to Lasseter.

_________________
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14172
Goliath wrote:
Aaaah... I remember the 90's, when nothing was known about new projects until they came out. Sure, the Dutch 'Donald Duck' comic weekly would sometimes have tiny bits of information, but that was it! We had to wait till it was in the cinemas to see it! The surprise was much bigger, and we didn't have opportunity to pick a project apart and judge it and/or condemn it before it was released. The good old days...


I find this argument a bit silly. You could still not learn about Disney's new movies and be surprised when the movie is released if you just stop visiting Disney news sites & forums. :P You could even still frequent Disney forums and just not visit threads about upcoming movies and so remain unspoiled. :wink: It's like one purposefully seeks out information and then complains about the fact that information has been released.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am
Posts: 2564
Sotiris wrote:
I find this argument a bit silly. You could still not learn about Disney's new movies and be surprised when the movie is released if you just stop visiting Disney news sites & forums. :P You could even still frequent Disney forums and just not visit threads about upcoming movies and so remain unspoiled. :wink: It's like one purposefully seeks out information and then complains about the fact that information has been released.


You're right, but I think both of us were speaking in broader terms - not just ourselves, but more the general public. Back when all this information wasn't released before a movie, each new Disney film that was released was an "event" for everyone. It's not like that anymore, just because the market is so flooded with animation and previews and featurettes and all kinds of marketing. So by the time the movie comes out, for everyone except for us hardcore fans, it's just like... "oh hey another movie came out. Meh."

Does that make sense?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lord-of-sith and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group